Results 1 to 13 of 13

8 Days...

This is a discussion on 8 Days... within the GM Trucks forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; ... for GM to deliver a factory air box assembly for a 2007 Silverado. I am disappoint. The story goes ...

  1. #1
    Living the Dream LS1FirehawkWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western MA.
    Posts
    886

    2000 Trans-Am
    2007 Silverado 2500HD LTZ

    8 Days...

    ... for GM to deliver a factory air box assembly for a 2007 Silverado. I am disappoint.

    The story goes as such. Two days after taking delivery of my '07, I got a check engine light. Okay, fine. It had to go back for a ball-joint, I'll have them check it out then. The tech scanned it, saying something about the power-pedal assembly.. That freaked me out. The next day, the check engine light went out. I figured it must of been the computer learning my driving style (after sitting on the lot for a month of not being driven, maybe it lost its recall?)

    Three days later, the light came back on. I brought it back to the Ford dealership where I purchased it on Monday, May 17. They, in turn, shipped it out to a GM dealer. Turns out it was an evap. code. Apparently the jack-off that owned the truck before me cut the air box in order to fit a larger K&N filter. His calculations were a whisker off because the fitting from the filter to the bellows wasn't tight and un-filtered air was by-passing the filter and going to the MAF. (gay) This was an aftermarket cold air intake that he butchered.

    So the dealership is replacing it on their dime. It took them three days to track down two out of the three components to the factory intake system. The third piece showed up today. They're installing as I type and I'm allegedly going tonight to finally pick up my truck.

    The crappy part is I'll have stock air-delivery, but the good news is, there shouldn't be a check engine light.

    Sorry for the long-read, but my question to everyone is: What aftermarket Cold-Air Intake Systems do people have experience with in a truck (preferably 2500HD)? I'm going to replace the now factory air-delivery with an aftermarket Cold-Air system. I'm gearing towards a K&N or Volant, but I'm open to suggestion. Plus, it'll be a year before I can fund this upgrade LoL


    TL;DR - my truck's previous owner was an idiot. What Cold-Air Intake should I buy?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    258

    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

    I have a K&N CAI kit on my truck and love it. I have also heard good things about Volant but I went with K&N.
    1998 Sebring Silver Camaro SS Convertible
    Cammed, Geared, Stalled and soon to be blown via F1-C
    2009 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT
    Kook's 1 7/8's LTH's and catted X, Pypes A/B, Vararam, Tune
    2007 Black Raven Cadillac Escalade
    Vararam, Leveling Kit, 33's

  3. #3
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Deezl SS View Post
    I have a K&N CAI kit on my truck and love it. I have also heard good things about Volant but I went with K&N.
    I used my K&N filter to hold down a trash can liner..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif


    Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

  4. #4
    Living the Dream LS1FirehawkWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western MA.
    Posts
    886

    2000 Trans-Am
    2007 Silverado 2500HD LTZ

    Update

    I picked up the truck last night with the stock air delivery installed. So far, no idiot lights came on. I put 100 miles on it between yesterday and today just to make sure. I don't know if it's because I haven't driven it in over a week or just my imagination running wild, but it feels like I lost some low-end due to the cold-air intake being eliminated.


    4 wheel parts has a K&N kit that they "guarantee" fits my truck for $326. I bookmarked it.

    Smittro, what are you running on your pickup if you don't like K&N? and why don't you like K&N?

  5. #5
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by LS1FirehawkWS6 View Post
    Update

    I picked up the truck last night with the stock air delivery installed. So far, no idiot lights came on. I put 100 miles on it between yesterday and today just to make sure. I don't know if it's because I haven't driven it in over a week or just my imagination running wild, but it feels like I lost some low-end due to the cold-air intake being eliminated.


    4 wheel parts has a K&N kit that they "guarantee" fits my truck for $326. I bookmarked it.

    Smittro, what are you running on your pickup if you don't like K&N? and why don't you like K&N?
    86 Motor home lol.. paper filter. Same for the 01 Camaro and the 92 z34, and the 05 Equanox. I found that the K&N allow a ton of crap get through the elements as well as greasing my MAF in the Camaro..

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    258

    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    86 Motor home lol.. paper filter. Same for the 01 Camaro and the 92 z34, and the 05 Equanox. I found that the K&N allow a ton of crap get through the elements as well as greasing my MAF in the Camaro..
    Never had that issue on my Camaro (drop in K&N) or my Denali. Possibly a bad filter or too much oil?

  7. #7
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by Deezl SS View Post
    Never had that issue on my Camaro (drop in K&N) or my Denali. Possibly a bad filter or too much oil?
    I tried keeping the oil as light as possible. Maybe too light. I still ended up with an oily film on the MAF. I got the charge kit followed the in structions and it was worse. Could have been a defective filter. But I have pics in another thread covering this and they clearly show that there are holes in the filter media that you can see the light bulb through. The other end was the filth in the oil long before the oil was due to be changed. I went back to the old paper type. Now when it's time to change my oil (3000mi or every 3 months) it's a dark honey brown color and with the K&N it was black as coal @ 1500 mi. Now see I don't beat on her, she's only been slightly over a 100 a handfull of times. I prolly over do the babying, show room paint and straiter than factory fit and finish. But I do run her just not over hard. I'm a cornering kind of guy that drives the tread off the tires rather than burns it off lol.. Anywho, there's plenty of threads to back up the uslesness of the k&N and even dyno proof of maybe a minor gain in power. Minor in that the gains are like iirc 1-2hp.. I just lost trust in the product after seeing poor results and having to clean my MAF a few times. MAF's and oil don't mix and the fly by wire MAF that I have can get pricey if you're replacing it more than once over the life of the vehicle.. You can test this for your self. Next oil change throw in a cheap paper filter save some of the oil from the when you ran the k&n. Then @ your next oil change after running the paper compair the 2 samples. I'm willing to wager your oil from using the paper will be cleaner than the oil from running the k&n..
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-28-2010 at 06:57 AM.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    258

    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I tried keeping the oil as light as possible. Maybe too light. I still ended up with an oily film on the MAF. I got the charge kit followed the in structions and it was worse. Could have been a defective filter. But I have pics in another thread covering this and they clearly show that there are holes in the filter media that you can see the light bulb through. The other end was the filth in the oil long before the oil was due to be changed. I went back to the old paper type. Now when it's time to change my oil (3000mi or every 3 months) it's a dark honey brown color and with the K&N it was black as coal @ 1500 mi. Now see I don't beat on her, she's only been slightly over a 100 a handfull of times. I prolly over do the babying, show room paint and straiter than factory fit and finish. But I do run her just not over hard. I'm a cornering kind of guy that drives the tread off the tires rather than burns it off lol.. Anywho, there's plenty of threads to back up the uslesness of the k&N and even dyno proof of maybe a minor gain in power. Minor in that the gains are like iirc 1-2hp.. I just lost trust in the product after seeing poor results and having to clean my MAF a few times. MAF's and oil don't mix and the fly by wire MAF that I have can get pricey if you're replacing it more than once over the life of the vehicle.. You can test this for your self. Next oil change throw in a cheap paper filter save some of the oil from the when you ran the k&n. Then @ your next oil change after running the paper compair the 2 samples. I'm willing to wager your oil from using the paper will be cleaner than the oil from running the k&n..
    That's good to know, I'll try a paper next time and see how it goes. I went with K&N for the simple fact it's reusable and seems to flow better. I haven't noticed any oil resiude on my maf though which was making me think your filter may have been defective. I'm in the middle of a head and cam swap on my car so after I tune it, I'll be hitting the dyno to see where it's at. Maybe I'll try a K&N vs paper filter test while it's on the rollers and see what the real (if any) gains are.

  9. #9
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Deezl SS View Post
    That's good to know, I'll try a paper next time and see how it goes. I went with K&N for the simple fact it's reusable and seems to flow better. I haven't noticed any oil resiude on my maf though which was making me think your filter may have been defective. I'm in the middle of a head and cam swap on my car so after I tune it, I'll be hitting the dyno to see where it's at. Maybe I'll try a K&N vs paper filter test while it's on the rollers and see what the real (if any) gains are.
    Can't beat a dyno test, give it a shot..

  10. #10
    Living the Dream LS1FirehawkWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western MA.
    Posts
    886

    2000 Trans-Am
    2007 Silverado 2500HD LTZ

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    86 Motor home lol.. paper filter. Same for the 01 Camaro and the 92 z34, and the 05 Equanox. I found that the K&N allow a ton of crap get through the elements as well as greasing my MAF in the Camaro..
    Thank you for the input. I'll ask a couple of friends I know personally that run K&N CAI's to get their perspective as well. ('99 Sierra 2500-non HD & '00 Sierra 1500)

    Anybody out there using a Volant? I'd love to hear from ya.


    On a much, MUCH different note, I must retract my previous gripe with the GM Parts delivery time. ... I didn't even consider the current state of the union when complaining about their turn-around time. They're probably seeing the most job cuts out of any field of business. So if there's anyone on this board that read this and took offense, I apologize.


  11. #11
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by LS1FirehawkWS6 View Post
    Thank you for the input. I'll ask a couple of friends I know personally that run K&N CAI's to get their perspective as well. ('99 Sierra 2500-non HD & '00 Sierra 1500)

    Anybody out there using a Volant? I'd love to hear from ya.


    On a much, MUCH different note, I must retract my previous gripe with the GM Parts delivery time. ... I didn't even consider the current state of the union when complaining about their turn-around time. They're probably seeing the most job cuts out of any field of business. So if there's anyone on this board that read this and took offense, I apologize.

    No prb. I do think they have a good cai set ups tho. I just don't dig their filters.

  12. #12
    Fear The Reaper IceeWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    138

    Pewter Metallic
    '02 WS6 M6 - The Reaper

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    86 Motor home lol.. paper filter. Same for the 01 Camaro and the 92 z34, and the 05 Equanox. I found that the K&N allow a ton of crap get through the elements as well as greasing my MAF in the Camaro..
    +1 kn filters are very bad for your motor. the weave on the filter is not as tight as a conventional, and larger particles of debris can get into your engine. i have a volant on my ws6 and i love it.

  13. #13
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by IceeWS6 View Post
    +1 kn filters are very bad for your motor. the weave on the filter is not as tight as a conventional, and larger particles of debris can get into your engine. i have a volant on my ws6 and i love it.
    . I went back to stock filters and never looked back.. Like I was sayin' tho, I do think K&N makes a good CAI setup tho..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-18-2010 at 10:23 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 5 Days.........
    By blackSS01 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 11-01-2009, 03:42 PM
  2. One of those days
    By Bottesini in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-17-2007, 10:06 AM
  3. SES goes out after 2 days
    By jim_usa in forum General Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-10-2005, 08:34 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •