6l80 or 6l90 conversion in 99-06?

This is a discussion on 6l80 or 6l90 conversion in 99-06? within the GM Trucks forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Anybody done it successfully? How about tuning? I'm extremely ridiculous with the needs of my truck and I have decided ...

Black, Red
    01 Z28, 05 Z71

6l80 or 6l90 conversion in 99-06?

Anybody done it successfully? How about tuning? I'm extremely ridiculous with the needs of my truck and I have decided that's the only tranny that will satisfy my needs. I have a tuner that's putting 1000hp through one so I think he can tune my 450-500hp tune and keep it alive. Any help or suggestion that don't include talking me out of it would be greatly appreciated

red
    95 Z28

Sure it's been done. There are some swap related threads out there with alot of the info you would need. It doesnt seem to be the simple straightforward swap that some seem to think it is though. Obviously things you'd need include the tranny itself, a new crossmember I believe, drive shaft, etc. I'm not sure if a transfer case will switch over. And I believe you need the specific computer used to control the 6 speed, as well as a new harness. I remember seeing that a company may at this point be providing a new harness, but I'm not sure on that one.

Black, Red
    01 Z28, 05 Z71

That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure. I like the new truck's drivetrain but not really the looks or features. It disgusts me that the 5.3 is not available in regular cab Z71 unless you special order it so the likelyhood of finding one used is next to impossible. I figured the shifter would need to be changed over somehow too since the 6 speed just has a manual gate on the shifter and a rocker switch on the handle to control gear swaps. I've been looking high and low for info on this thinking people are finally getting around to using the new technology in the older vehicles but I'm still not coming up with much. My tuner is using one in an old S10 Blazer but he's just running a late model harness and ECM in his vehicle. Thanks for the info and I'll keep digging

Thread Information