Indigo Blue
    2000 ext. cab Silverado

Smile 6.0/4L80E Smog Legal Swap in CA ???

Any one in California do a smog legal 6.0 swap? My 2000 Extended Cab Silverado is 5.3 equipped from the factory. I know the engine swap part is pretty basic. I have also read the C.A.R.B. regulations and am familiar with that. What I don't know is about the tranny upgrade to a 4l80e. Will I need a different cross member? different wiring harness? Can I reprogram the controller in my truck for the new trans or do I need to replace that too? And last but not least were do I go to get it signed off with the state?

Oh and I know some one is going to as why bother going to the trouble for the few extra hp. Well my 00 silverado is a few payments away from being paid for and I don't want to get into the payments on a new SS. My 5.3/4L60E tranny are starting to were out with almost 100k on the odometer trying to keep up with the newer trucks. Besides I plan on upping the factory cam size (smog legal cam) before I install the 6.0 and later adding a supercharger(also a smog legal one).

I appreciate any help I can Get on this topic. Thanks!!!

And if you need a nice Roll cage, Sheet metal, Fuel cell, Full chassis, Custom 9 inch housing, Metal finishing or general Fab work done for your car our truck In the orange county area let me know. My buddy owns Ochoa Custom Metal in Costa Mesa 949-574-9100 tell him JOE sent you! He does beautiful work! He also has 3 big cars that will be completed later this year. My 55 Chevy as a joint effort, A 65 chevelle, and an 87 camaro.
    Last edited by BB540; 05-12-2006 at 01:33 AM.

Holden Torana SS

Thumbs up

I put a 6.0 and 4L80E into a '04 half ton short bed, single cab here in Garden Grove actually.
    Had to fabricate a trans cross member as the mount is further back by a few inches actually compared to a 4L60E.. I just used all the loom and computer out of the 6.0 donar truck (3500 single cab dually) and worked great. Also used a full dual 3" exhaust as well, has a killer sound.
    Not sure on the smog aspect of it though, as I built it to ship to Australia (I have a bunch of Aussie cars here, and export there for a living) so was never concerned about registering it here. Be interesting to just try a tail pipe test a 6.0 and see how different it was to a 5.3. Doubt many smog techs would even check to see what engine you were running if you kept the 5.3 emmisions decal on the thing (and assuming it would pass the sniffer test)..just a thought.

Indigo Blue
    2000 ext. cab Silverado

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply. I had pretty much given up since no one replied. Now I am reconsidering it again. Do me a favor and shot me an email at SNAPONKID@MSN.COM I am also in the garden grove area and Would like to check out what you did.

like I give a FUCK

05 gto
    stock n paid for

its legal anyway use a 01 up drivetrain, make the ses work the aldl work,show no codes and its legal, i agree with OZ though why tell a tech.

Holden Torana SS

No prob.. I am abit flat out with work at the moment, but I'll shoot you a message and see if you can check it out one of these days soon as I get a spare moment,lol..

Indigo Blue
    2000 ext. cab Silverado

Do you think I might be better off working over the stock 5.3? Getting close to 100k miles. I was kinda think maybe just do a rebuild but install good pistons, swap to a larger cam like the comp cam 265 for an ls1 freshen up the heads with a valve job, new seals, better springs for a bigger cam, and may be just a little clean up here and there. Eventually I will need to go through the trans and rear end too. There both a little worn. I also want to change the rear gear from a stock 3.42 to a 3.73.

Quote Originally Posted by BB540
    Do you think I might be better off working over the stock 5.3? Getting close to 100k miles. I was kinda think maybe just do a rebuild but install good pistons, swap to a larger cam like the comp cam 265 for an ls1 freshen up the heads with a valve job, new seals, better springs for a bigger cam, and may be just a little clean up here and there. Eventually I will need to go through the trans and rear end too. There both a little worn. I also want to change the rear gear from a stock 3.42 to a 3.73.

If it were me I would rebuild the motor you have. You can get another 100 hp out that motor with all of the parts available on the market.

Port and polish the heads, new cam, get a set of forged pistons if you will be supercharging the motor. Get a programmer so you can take advantage of the parts and the blower. You will need it in order to tune the blower correctly.

I would not swap out gears in the truck. If you want a really trick transmission, look at putting in the new 6 speed automatic in your truck. That would be bad ass!!

Indigo Blue
    2000 ext. cab Silverado

Smile

Ya I am strongly considering a rebuild of the 5.3. Un fortunitly my Knees wont hang with rowing the gears in a daily driver. I think with a good trans rebuild using red alto clutches new beast sun shell and the other good parts they have out there for it, It will be just fine. I abuse it pretty good and havent blown it yet. The reason I want to add rear gears is because if you look at the new truck they only offer the 3.73, and when you get into 4th at lower speed like slower then 70( wich is about 2000 rpm) It seems like its really hard on the trans. infact when im towing around town with it in tow/haul mod it wont even shift into 4th because its so hard on the trans.

I started another tread titled "cam help" if you wanna check it out. I'm pulling together ideas on a cam for a rebuild.

black
    01 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by BB540 View Post
    Any one in California do a smog legal 6.0 swap? My 2000 Extended Cab Silverado is 5.3 equipped from the factory. I know the engine swap part is pretty basic. I have also read the C.A.R.B. regulations and am familiar with that. What I don't know is about the tranny upgrade to a 4l80e. Will I need a different cross member? different wiring harness? Can I reprogram the controller in my truck for the new trans or do I need to replace that too? And last but not least were do I go to get it signed off with the state?

Oh and I know some one is going to as why bother going to the trouble for the few extra hp. Well my 00 silverado is a few payments away from being paid for and I don't want to get into the payments on a new SS. My 5.3/4L60E tranny are starting to were out with almost 100k on the odometer trying to keep up with the newer trucks. Besides I plan on upping the factory cam size (smog legal cam) before I install the 6.0 and later adding a supercharger(also a smog legal one).

I appreciate any help I can Get on this topic. Thanks!!!

And if you need a nice Roll cage, Sheet metal, Fuel cell, Full chassis, Custom 9 inch housing, Metal finishing or general Fab work done for your car our truck In the orange county area let me know. My buddy owns Ochoa Custom Metal in Costa Mesa 949-574-9100 tell him JOE sent you! He does beautiful work! He also has 3 big cars that will be completed later this year. My 55 Chevy as a joint effort, A 65 chevelle, and an 87 camaro.
    If I had the money I wouln't care for the few extra hp but I wouln't mind the huge TQ gain. Torque is better than Hp specially in a truck. When you get it all done you will need to make an appoiment with the dmv{forgot the number do} and most likely they will send you to Fullerton college. They will decide if you get you're sticker. Good luck..

Indigo Blue
    2000 ext. cab Silverado

I am assuming you are reffering to the 6.0 swap. Why fullerton college???

black
    01 camaro ss

Yeap!! the 6.0 won't give you much more HP [unless you mess with it]but it will give a lot more TQ witch you will def. feel. Why fullerton college, That's were I got sent for inspection after I got a ticket for not having a carb sticker for my intake. I think it's the local state inspection.

Thread Information