Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

'05 Silverado Rear Brakes Locking

Working on a Silverado that the rear drum brakes are locking up on application. Doesn't matter if the roads are wet or dry. Pulled the drums and nothing appears to be out of order. All the springs are in place, I don't see any evidence of excessive heat, no leaking brake cylinders or wheel seals, the lines are not collapsed, good thickness on the shoes still, the mechanicals are all fairly clean...

I am going to check to make sure the e-brake is fully retracted, but since the drums came off without a fight I assume that is not the problem.

I am stumped.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Searching GM service info:

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
    Condition/Concern:

In rare cases some owners may comment on a concern with the rear brakes wearing out prematurely, dragging, getting hot or being aggressive. This may be due to the rear brake shoes being adjusted too tight
    Recommendation/Instructions:

To correct this concern replace the star adjuster with a new 15 teeth adjuster (original is 30 teeth) part number 19133371. The same part number is used on both sides, requiring two per vehicle.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

That's the only service bulletin I found on locking brakes...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thanks Andy! It definitely has the higher tooth count star wheel adjuster on it now. I'll back them off a couple of clicks for tonight and see about the kit you mentioned. I assume that is a GM only part?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Thanks Andy! It definitely has the higher tooth count star wheel adjuster on it now. I'll back them off a couple of clicks for tonight and see about the kit you mentioned. I assume that is a GM only part?
    I do believe it is. I kept searching and searching and didn't find anything else. I hope that will solve your problem, but like the bulletin says, it's a "rare occasion"

The only other thing I can even think of would be a pinched brake line since that makes the most sense.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I do believe it is. I kept searching and searching and didn't find anything else. I hope that will solve your problem, but like the bulletin says, it's a "rare occasion"

The only other thing I can even think of would be a pinched brake line since that makes the most sense.

As soon as I saw that everything looked good under the drums, I immediately traced the brake lines along the axle to see if they had been damaged. Everything looks great. I didn't trace them on the underbody yet though.

This reminds me... I once found a brake hose that had collapsed on a 3rd gen I was working on. This resulted in a locked caliper -- just can't believe a hose went bad on an '05 though. We'll see what it does as I backed each side off a bit.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    As soon as I saw that everything looked good under the drums, I immediately traced the brake lines along the axle to see if they had been damaged. Everything looks great. I didn't trace them on the underbody yet though.

This reminds me... I once found a brake hose that had collapsed on a 3rd gen I was working on. This resulted in a locked caliper -- just can't believe a hose went bad on an '05 though. We'll see what it does as I backed each side off a bit.
    If it went bad it was operator error... like wrapping a tow strap around rear axle pinching the brake line... or something along that nature. I doubt an 05 line just went bad.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

The full size drums cant be very tight at all. I had this problem on my 98 hoe. You wont see heat problems untill you drive it for like 100miles straight no stopping. On the 95 through 99's it absolutly sucks because the abs modual acumulator has to much volume inside of it and if you have a stiff pedal chances are your drums are to tight. I made mine tight as it was the only way to get a good pedal feel and I ended up smoking the driver side. If they are way to tight the drum will keep adjusting it's self untill it is locked up. Don't know why they do that but mine did twice. as soon as I talked with a master tech and readjusted them it's been fine ever since. Pedal sucks some what but not to bad. Didn't have a bad auto adjuster either. just what they will do for what ever reason.

White
    2008 Chevy Silverado 4x4

it sounds like they are adjusted too tight to me

98 Formula
    06 duramax

were the drums hazed? You could also try cleaning that haze off. Last car I worked on was having something similar to what you're having happen. I took some steel wool and cleaned the drums and pads up and all was good. I didn't see anything wrong and the owner didn't want to replace the stuff if they didn't have too so I just cleaned them up and they're still working fine.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It is my stepson's truck. He hasn't complained about the brakes since, so I assume they have been ok. If it pops up again, I'll be sure to check the drum surface better and try this.

Thread Information