Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Wrx sti?

This is a discussion on Wrx sti? within the Domestics and Foreigns forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 98Hardtop Yeah like you know what the hell you are talking about. Sorry, but Subaru has a ...

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 98Hardtop View Post
    Yeah like you know what the hell you are talking about. Sorry, but Subaru has a 95% customer loyalty rating, they have won Motortrend's SUV of the year award 2 years in a row with 2 redesigned vehicles. Honda and Subaru tied for best all around vehicles by consumer reports for 2010 and all of Subaru's vehicles have top picks for IIHS ratings for 2010 as well. Plus they continue to shatter sales records month after month to the point where the plants are working 7 days a week and overtime to make enough cars so the dealers can sell them. In 2008 when every automobile manufacturer was hitting lows, Subaru and Fiat were the only 2 companies in the US to post sales increases and they did it again in 2009. Seems to me they are doing it right because they have more than one vehicle that targets a particular group of people. The WRX/STI targets just a very very small piece in their customer demographics compared to the Forester, Legacy and Outback and regular Impreza lineup. I would say 90% of my service customers have had 3+ previous Subaru's or currently have 2 in their stable.

Anymore nonsense you want to toss around that you have absolutely no idea about?
    A 95% customer loyalty rating?? I guess if you're weird enough to buy a Subaru the first time around, you must be weird enough to buy a second one as well.

I recently did a head gasket job on a Legacy 2.5. Probably one of the most poorly designed motors I have ever worked on. They are notorious for leaking head gaskets, all of the 2.5 engines do it. Oil leaks out between the head and block, towards the rear of the head. They are also well known for piston slap, burning valves, leaking cam seals (extremely common), center diffs going bad (viscous), and exploding transmissions (WRX).

And yet they have a customer loyalty of 95%?? Interesting.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Everyone is free to state their opinions and beliefs. Making comments about how others don't know what the hell they are talking about won't be tolerated though. If you don't agree with someones opinions, you have an ignore list you can put to use.

white
    2000 Z28

unfortunately for me my friend with an 06 sti spends too much time talking up subies to the point that he doesnt know them, because he is really the only person that i know with one. unfortunately for you i dont have a problem not knowing about them. its not a vehicle i like, liked, or will like. i am perfectly content with just knowing stock for stock an ls1 fbody is faster. which is what the op's thread is about.
    Last edited by 00z28bubba; 02-25-2010 at 03:08 AM.

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    A 95% customer loyalty rating?? I guess if you're weird enough to buy a Subaru the first time around, you must be weird enough to buy a second one as well.

I recently did a head gasket job on a Legacy 2.5. Probably one of the most poorly designed motors I have ever worked on. They are notorious for leaking head gaskets, all of the 2.5 engines do it. Oil leaks out between the head and block, towards the rear of the head. They are also well known for piston slap, burning valves, leaking cam seals (extremely common), center diffs going bad (viscous), and exploding transmissions (WRX).

And yet they have a customer loyalty of 95%?? Interesting.
    Yes they do, they keep coming back because the company builds a safe reliable vehicle that will get 200,000+ miles. Just because the engine leaks when they get older, doesn't mean the customers aren't happy with a overall product.

Actually the 99-04 2.5 motors tend to leak headgaskets(both oil and coolant), where the 96-98 dohcs blow them. They have gone to a different design in 2005 and there are very little to almost no issues with them. I have only seen 2 or 3 go bad from 2005+ and can't count the amount from the 97-04 ones.

The reason why the WRX's transmission blow is because it is the same transmission that is in the forester and it is fragile for anything beyond normal driving. If you launch too hard with it, you will blow it.

As for the center diff going bad, I have only seen 1 go bad in 4 years but have seen quite a few transfer clutches and solenoids go bad but that was because people followed bad advice and replaced less than 4 tires when they needed to.

09 Vulcan 900 custom.
    2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
    1998 Z/28 Hardtop A4 | Y2K wheels | SLP Lid | Magnaflow catback |cutout | Hotchkis LCA'S/PHB | BMR TA and D/S Loop| Tuned by Frost....300rwhp/308rwtq

97 Cobra- bolt ons | full exhaust| 4.30's| suspension | SCT tune- sold!

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    unfortunately for me my friend with an 06 sti spends too much time talking up subies to the point that he doesnt know them, because he is really the only person that i know with one. unfortunately for you i dont have a problem not knowing about them. its not a vehicle i like, liked, or will like. i am perfectly content with just knowing stock for stock an ls1 fbody is faster. which is what the op's thread is about.
    And that is fine. Just don't add comments unless you know what you are saying, that's all. A lot of the info you gave was very misleading and inaccurate.

Stock for Stock both cars can run low 13's, but do they? Depends on the driver. In my area I see STI's running high 13's low 14's most of the time, but have seen a few low 13's come from decent driver. I have also seen stock LS1's run high 13's and many low 13's.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by +stroker ace View Post
    As hard as it is for me to beleve,I actually agree with wesman for a change.I know a guy who went through 3 engines in a 08 STI, it ran a 13.1 bone stock ,but he said the car was a total nightmare.
    Yea, engine produced from a certain date to a certain date are prone to ringland failure, in all the 2.5 turbo engines in those time frames, wrx, legacy, sti, they all use the same longblock in the turbo cars so they were all prone to that failure.

The 08-2010 vs 05-07 sti is a drivers race

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Yea, engine produced from a certain date to a certain date are prone to ringland failure, in all the 2.5 turbo engines in those time frames, wrx, legacy, sti, they all use the same longblock in the turbo cars so they were all prone to that failure.

The 08-2010 vs 05-07 sti is a drivers race
    Actually the STI is pretty much the main problem. It is more due to the tuning/ecu of the STI. The Legacy GT/Spec B, WRX, Outback XT and Forester XT(also tubocharged 2.5's) have very little to almost any ringland issues compared to the STI for 2008+ and they all use the same pistons.
    Yeah, you might have a small few that might have an issue here and there and others that have modified their cars(love to run higher boost, catless exhaust and no engine management) might run into some problems as no car is perfect. They are far fewer though.

Here is a good tidbit of info I read last month about the issue on one of the Subaru forums I am on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Performance
    Its more the function of the knock control found in the 08 and up ECU, allthough the good tuners have learned to work with it.
    When the motor dets, the ECU pulls timing to accommodate and the det stops. But… the ECU pushes the timing right back up to the det threshold over and over again, as its designed to do.

On the 04 STI, when the motor dets, the ECU pulls timing and will never go back to that amount of timing again. It will still push the timing to the det threshold but there is an overall trim that it applies as well. The only way to clear this trim on the older ECU’s is to re-set the ECU. If you have an older STI and its lost power, a simple ECU re-set could be magic!

I simplified this ECU function so it might be easier to fathom
    Last edited by 98Hardtop; 02-25-2010 at 08:07 AM.

Arctic White, red/gray

Actually the STI is pretty much the main problem. It is more due to the tuning/ecu of the STI. The Legacy GT/Spec B, WRX, Outback XT and Forester XT(also tubocharged 2.5's) have very little to almost any ringland issues compared to the STI for 2008+ and they all use the same pistons.
    Yeah, you might have a small few that might have an issue here and there and others that have modified their cars(love to run higher boost, catless exhaust and no engine management) might run into some problems as no car is perfect. They are far fewer though.

Here is a good tidbit of info I read last month about the issue on one of the Subaru forums I am on.

It has happened to stock legacys and wrxs aswell maybe not as many but still happens to them.

Arctic White, red/gray

It has happened to stock legacys and wrxs aswell maybe not as many but still happens to them. I remember a hand full of 08 spec bs had the same issue on the forums.

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

It has happened to stock legacys and wrxs aswell maybe not as many but still happens to them.
    That is what I said. It can happen, but not nearly to the extent of the STI because it is more of a tune/ecu issue.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Yes they do, they keep coming back because the company builds a safe reliable vehicle that will get 200,000+ miles. Just because the engine leaks when they get older, doesn't mean the customers aren't happy with a overall product.
    I had one come in that lost damn near a quart of oil on the floor between the time I got it on the lift and hoisted it up to look underneath. Cam seals were pouring oil so badly that the car was hardly driveable. You replace them, and then in another 75K, they do it again. Same with the head gaskets.

I don't understand why anyone would buy the same brand of car twice that is so poorly designed. Especially when the head gasket replacement can run as much as $3500 each time it needs to be done.
    Last edited by Wesman; 02-25-2010 at 07:17 PM.

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

I had one come in that lost damn near a quart of oil on the floor between the time I got it on the lift and hoisted it up to look underneath. Cam seals were pouring oil so badly that the car was hardly driveable. You replace them, and then in another 75K, they do it again. Same with the head gaskets.

I don't understand why anyone would buy the same brand of car twice that is so poorly designed. Especially when the head gasket replacement can run as much as $3500 each time it needs to be done.
    Your theory is flawed. For every 1 Subaru I see that has a major issue, I have seen 75 or more that have no issues. I have only seen 2 Subaru's that needed headgaskets twice. All the others we have done it once and that was it and the cars have gone another 100K+. Seen a few with 300k+ and only had the headgaskets replaced once. Maybe the shops aren't repairing them correctly. I can say being I see 20-30 of them a day that is not the case. I have seen plenty of independent shops fubar some headgaskets and motors because they had no idea what they were doing. I can't tell you, but the cars aren't poorly designed. Some of the older cars had some design issues that have been fixed. The facts and statistics speak for themselves.
    $3500 for a headgasket repair!! I work at a Subaru dealer and that is over a $1,000 more than what we charge and we are on the high side. Most of your independent shops do them for around 1500. I will say that one of the things Subaru is known for are leaking valve cover gaskets, crank/cam seals, rear separator cover, etc as the engine gets older. Then again, every vehicle line has their own quirks and issues.

Can you point me to the perfect car that has zero issues in any of it's line up for every single vehicle made?
    Last edited by 98Hardtop; 02-26-2010 at 04:19 AM.

PRIMER J/K
    68 CHEVY CAMARO SS

What is your definition of "fast as shit" lol??

I've ridden in plenty of STI's, none were anything close to what I would call fast. My friend has a Cobb Stage 2 '05 STI, and its quick, but certainly not "fast as shit".

Exactly. With their short gearing and AWD, STi's accelerate 1st through 3th gear very quickly. However, once you get on the highway, you might as well get out and push - they just completely run out of steam on the top end.
    You got it WRONG Braintrusts!

Top end is vicious on all GD STi's.
    However the 07 was a different animal due to emissions.
    Yes,some drawbacks,but one plus is reaching trap speed of 114 in 4th gear in 1/4 ml.

Running out of steam???
    you wasted time making a thread about a car that ''runs out of steam''?

PRIMER J/K
    68 CHEVY CAMARO SS

OMG...You mean the oil pick up tube?

PRIMER J/K
    68 CHEVY CAMARO SS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Everyone is free to state their opinions and beliefs. Making comments about how others don't know what the hell they are talking about won't be tolerated though. If you don't agree with someones opinions, you have an ignore list you can put to use.
    Sir,too much fiction to just ignore it.

PRIMER J/K
    68 CHEVY CAMARO SS

Red necks.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i smell a troll ..sounds like 98 hardtop might not be around for too much longer.

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i smell a troll ..sounds like 98 hardtop might not be around for too much longer.
    Why is that? I speak from professional and personal experience.

Arctic White, red/gray

Why is that? I speak from professional and personal experience.
    I think he is accusing you of being YOURSISTERISYERMOM, because his first 3 posts are on this thread and they are against the person you were just debating with.

On other news did anyone else just have to reregister? Cause i did

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

I think he is accusing you of being YOURSISTERISYERMOM, because his first 3 posts are on this thread and they are against the person you were just debating with.

On other news did anyone else just have to reregister? Cause i did
    Nope, and that guys posts made no sense. I have more maturity than that to create troll accounts. This is my only one. Steve aka "Frost" can vouch for that being he is a friend of mine.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information