Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wrx sti?

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

Wrx sti?

K so i haven't heard of anyone racing an STI on here so far.
    So what im asking is what is faster stock to stock?
    There has been a couple i wanted to mess with haha

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Sti's are fast. Ran into one on the highway once...and he was slowly pulling away from me.

They've got AWD too, so they'll be fast off the line.

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

LS1 cars are faster off the line then they are but as the race goes on they will catch us, especially in corners. The 4wd actually causes them to take off slower do to the large tq loss through the drivetrain. In a quarter, itd be close but id have to say LS1 would prevail. I have played with one for a lil over an 1/8 mile and was several lengths ahead but he was making ground fast.
    Ashes to ashes and dust to dust, if it wasn't for fords our tools would rust

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Stall, gears, and stickies?

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

pewter
    2000 T/A WS.6

I raced one idk what he had, but I was full bolt on and gears and he shot off the line and had like 7 on me. I then caught up and we were like dead even at te end of a 1/4.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Actually, come to think of it, my buddy had one I dunno how I didn't even remember it when I looked at this. Then again, it wasn't an STi, it was the 260hp WRX. I edged him in my A4 LT1 150k+ miles, but that's not an STi and mine wasn't an LS1

I ran one a few years back in the Y2K M6, he had atleast exhaust on it, and I pulled him to my rear bumper by the end of the quarter. My advantadge was I knew how to shift, he didn't so much. I pulled him hard off the line, as we both went into 2nd he started to gain ground back but lost it shifting again. That's my one and only experience with one. And I guess it was a driver's race

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

I would think that they would kill us off the line they can basically red line it then just dump the clutch with out losing any traction

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Freeway run against an evo I won (stock), raced someone else when I had headers and he whooped me and he is supposedly stock.

Black
    1999 WS6

I thought they'd be faster off the line, but it would close up by 1/4 mile, not the other way around.
    I have raced 2 so far, and both took off from me by about 2 cars or so til I hit 2nd. I caught up by 80 and passed by 110.
    To me, they slowed up the faster they went, unless both drivers just left off after 100.

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A5F5uUO2oU[/ame] They test the euro version of the 6.0 GTO against an evo 8 400 which is the mitsu version of the sti. Notice when they race how the 2 wheel drive car runs away from the awd car off the line. Its all about tq division. They have less torque and more wheels to divide it through. But they have more hp's with less weight to push. If youve ever drivin one of these cars they dont like to take off very well. You have to slide the hell out of the clutch to keep from stalling it. I have a several tuner buddies with everything from evo 8's, 10's, wrx, sti, wrx outbacks and so on.I have drivin several of each car and they are all "hard" to take off in. I even have a friend with a 980hp sti that if he takes it to 6k and dumps the clutch it will blow the tires off for a second but about 3 sec later it starts to grab traction and bogs it down quite a bit. Dont get me wrong, the thing is moving at mach 3 by then but you can feel the loss of power when it grabs.

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    LS1 cars are faster off the line then they are but as the race goes on they will catch us, especially in corners. The 4wd actually causes them to take off slower do to the large tq loss through the drivetrain. In a quarter, itd be close but id have to say LS1 would prevail. I have played with one for a lil over an 1/8 mile and was several lengths ahead but he was making ground fast.
    First they do not have 4wd, they have awd big difference.

Second, faster or quicker? Please explain to me how a car that can pull 1.6-1.8 60's on factory tires are slower out of the hole than a LS1 and still run low 13's in stock form? Can you elaborate?

Everyone I have raced always had me out of the hole on the launch but I gained my ground back.
    Last edited by 98Hardtop; 02-22-2010 at 05:03 PM.

09 Vulcan 900 custom.
    2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
    1998 Z/28 Hardtop A4 | Y2K wheels | SLP Lid | Magnaflow catback |cutout | Hotchkis LCA'S/PHB | BMR TA and D/S Loop| Tuned by Frost....300rwhp/308rwtq

97 Cobra- bolt ons | full exhaust| 4.30's| suspension | SCT tune- sold!

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

Sorry, I know the diff. between AWD and 4WD i just said 4WD. The few times I have raced the one down here I have ate him out of the hole and he begins to regain ground just like the video I posted. Im sure some of it has to do with driver. I have yet to see one pull below a 1.8 60. The fastest stock I have ever seen was a 1.92 on 4 drag radials. I have seen a modded one pull a 1.64 60'. The one that I have messed with is 100% stock, i know this for sure. My buddy with the 980 hp sti walks away without even breaking a sweat and can corner like hes superglued to the road. My intentions were never to get anyone riled up about this, I was just mearly posting my experiance.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

They test the euro version of the 6.0 GTO against an evo 8 400 which is the mitsu version of the sti. Notice when they race how the 2 wheel drive car runs away from the awd car off the line. Its all about tq division. They have less torque and more wheels to divide it through. But they have more hp's with less weight to push. If youve ever drivin one of these cars they dont like to take off very well. You have to slide the hell out of the clutch to keep from stalling it. I have a several tuner buddies with everything from evo 8's, 10's, wrx, sti, wrx outbacks and so on.I have drivin several of each car and they are all "hard" to take off in. I even have a friend with a 980hp sti that if he takes it to 6k and dumps the clutch it will blow the tires off for a second but about 3 sec later it starts to grab traction and bogs it down quite a bit. Dont get me wrong, the thing is moving at mach 3 by then but you can feel the loss of power when it grabs.

Im sorry but you cannot even consider that a launch on the video, i owned a talon tsi awd and it launched 10x harder then my ls1 easy

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

Sorry, I know the diff. between AWD and 4WD i just said 4WD. The few times I have raced the one down here I have ate him out of the hole and he begins to regain ground just like the video I posted. Im sure some of it has to do with driver. I have yet to see one pull below a 1.8 60. The fastest stock I have ever seen was a 1.92 on 4 drag radials. I have seen a modded one pull a 1.64 60'. The one that I have messed with is 100% stock, i know this for sure. My buddy with the 980 hp sti walks away without even breaking a sweat and can corner like hes superglued to the road. My intentions were never to get anyone riled up about this, I was just mearly posting my experiance.
    Go on any Subaru forum and you will see just as many of them pull sub 1.8 60's as LS1's dyno 300rwhp.

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

ive got a video of me beatin an sti with mods done to it. I only had a lid, ported TB and after the y pipe exhaust deleted. once I figure out how to post it on here I will.
    HONDAS ARE LIKE TAMPONS... EVERY PUSSY HAS ONE!
    **PHK**

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSport346 View Post
    Sti's are fast. Ran into one on the highway once...and he was slowly pulling away from me.

They've got AWD too, so they'll be fast off the line.
    No, they really aren't. The one you raced must have been heavily modded to pull you, they only put down 230WHP in stock form. Considering they weigh close to an LS1 F-body, they get decimated on the highway.

My friend has an '05 STI, we went on a 2 hour ride from home to school, and it was a joke. I had to keep letting off just so he could keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Freeway run against an evo I won (stock), raced someone else when I had headers and he whooped me and he is supposedly stock.
    Then he wasn't stock. No stock Evo is going to pull an LS1 on the highway, or anywhere for that matter. They are not fast cars, they can just launch hard.

Here is the result of a stock vs stock race, LS1 Z28 vs. STi:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFnWfOjJSfU[/ame]
    Last edited by Wesman; 02-23-2010 at 09:46 AM.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    No, they really aren't. The one you raced must have been heavily modded to pull you, they only put down 230WHP in stock form. Considering they weigh close to an LS1 F-body, they get decimated on the highway.

My friend has an '05 STI, we went on a 2 hour ride from home to school, and it was a joke. I had to keep letting off just so he could keep up.

Then he wasn't stock. No stock Evo is going to pull an LS1 on the highway, or anywhere for that matter. They are not fast cars, they can just launch hard.

Here is the result of a stock vs stock race, LS1 Z28 vs. STi:

I was having a hard time believing him but he has his warranty on it still and an old school for playing with. It don't bother me.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

hmmm my friend has a cobalt ss and he wants an sti i was kinda woried at first but this is making me want him to get it so i can beat it too haha

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by zeetwentyeight View Post
    hmmm my friend has a cobalt ss and he wants an sti i was kinda woried at first but this is making me want him to get it so i can beat it too haha
    Funny thing is the 08+ Cobalt SS Turbos are slightly faster than an STI.

The STI is still quicker in 0-60 and 1/4 mile (because of AWD) but the Cobalt has a slightly higher trap speed.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Funny thing is the 08+ Cobalt SS Turbos are slightly faster than an STI.

The STI is still quicker in 0-60 and 1/4 mile (because of AWD) but the Cobalt has a slightly higher trap speed.
    Damn thats crazy haha he has the supercharged 06

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information