Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Why are Stangs so much slower?

This is a discussion on Why are Stangs so much slower? within the Domestics and Foreigns forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; In 1998, as my link states, a gt started at a base price 21,020. With that same link look at ...

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

In 1998, as my link states, a gt started at a base price 21,020. With that same link look at the Z28, base price was 20,460. Price is no matter in the argument when you are speaking about new. They were less than $1,000 difference MSRP. Yeah you can deal with a salesman and get a few thousand off of any car new, you could have done it with a camaro also. My last Z28 had every option available minus t-tops which was a 720 dollar option and it was 23,200 out the door. Off the lot new, prices were VERY similar. You can argue it all you want, I provided a link to the information and opinions don't change facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Derk
    I wouldn't say 16k But you could have got a stripped version for just shy of 20k. My dad walked out the door with my 01 GT w/ every option minus the auto trans for like $21,1XX. I kid you not. No trade in no anything.And I remember us pricing a Z28 so we might be able to say "We can get a Z28 right down the road for X amount." We found a similar optioned one for, I want to say, almost 27k. I mean don't get me wrong with the Z you where starting out with a lot faster machine and a lot more potential down the road. but like it's been said before it's all about how fast you can afford to go.EDIT: And for the record I bought my mach brand new with .3 miles on it for $23,3xx.
    Even thought the Gm nutswingers dont want to admit it. Yes you could get a STRIPPED GT for around 16k-18k. The GT had two different models also. Premuim and Standard. I got my premium for 21,500 out the door. Then they had a third option that wasnt listed which is a stripped down GT.

The stripped GTs are the ones that are 5speed, no power, cloth seats, crapp CD player and V6 rims. Im pretty sure they were only afford from 94-99 or maybe in 2000 but they werent afford after 2000. They were under the Ford code GTS. My buddy right now has a 95 GT with that package, or lack there of.

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    In 1998, as my link states, a gt started at a base price 21,020. With that same link look at the Z28, base price was 20,460. Price is no matter in the argument when you are speaking about new. They were less than $1,000 difference MSRP. Yeah you can deal with a salesman and get a few thousand off of any car new, you could have done it with a camaro also. My last Z28 had every option available minus t-tops which was a 720 dollar option and it was 23,200 out the door. Off the lot new, prices were VERY similar. You can argue it all you want, I provided a link to the information and opinions don't change facts.
    And links on the internet mean nothing. People in the real world have purchased these cars for certain amounts and those links are nothing but useless garbage. Also, since the 2001-2002 came out, the prices of ls1's have gone through the roof. There was a 02 SS with the pain scheme and everything else going for around 35k on this dealership down the road from me.

It sat there for 2 years.
    Last edited by mogs01gt; 01-30-2006 at 06:15 AM.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt
    Even thought the Gm nutswingers dont want to admit it. Yes you could get a STRIPPED GT for around 16k-18k. The GT had two different models also. Premuim and Standard. I got my premium for 21,500 out the door. Then they had a third option that wasnt listed which is a stripped down GT.

The stripped GTs are the ones that are 5speed, no power, cloth seats, crapp CD player and V6 rims. Im pretty sure they were only afford from 94-99 or maybe in 2000 but they werent afford after 2000. They were under the Ford code GTS. My buddy right now has a 95 GT with that package, or lack there of.

And links on the internet mean nothing. People in the real world have purchased these cars for certain amounts and those links are nothing but useless garbage. Also, since the 2001-2002 came out, the prices of ls1's have gone through the roof. There was a 02 SS with the pain scheme and everything else going for around 35k on this dealership down the road from me.

MSRPs were less than 1000 dollars apart, can you not read? It isn't some camaro lovers site, it's the blue book site. You can get a GT for a few thousand less than MSRP? imagine that, you could do the same thing with camaros. Wow, a special 35th anniversary edition camaro vs a stripped out GT without power anything, nice comparison there kid. BASE PRICE means stripped and the MSRP for a stripped car was 21000 for a GT and 20,640 for a Z28, bottom line. You got yours loaded for 21,500 out the door and I got my Z28 loaded for 23 out the door, 1500 dollars difference big deal.

MSRPs were less than 1000 dollars apart, can you not read? It isn't some camaro lovers site, it's the blue book site. You can get a GT for a few thousand less than MSRP? imagine that, you could do the same thing with camaros. Wow, a special 35th anniversary edition camaro vs a stripped out GT without power anything, nice comparison there kid. BASE PRICE means stripped and the MSRP for a stripped car was 21000 for a GT and 20,640 for a Z28, bottom line. You got yours loaded for 21,500 out the door and I got my Z28 loaded for 23 out the door, 1500 dollars difference big deal.
    actually you are the ones comparing a higher priced car to another lower priced car. In my area, new Zs were going for around 25k-28k sticker price. You could not find one that was priced decent or haggle on one, especially in 02.The stripped GT was not 21k, that was the standard packaged GT. The "stripped" GT was well under 20k but are rare and were not advertised.

So a fully loaded GT compared to a Stripped Z at the same price, buy which you would rather have. Its all up to the buyer

Torch Red
    2003 Mach 1

Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt

I'm almost 99.9% positive you could only Get the GTS in 95. And that 99+ all came with power windows and locks. But I did forget you could get GTs in 99-00 with 16's.

Quote Originally Posted by Derk
    I'm almost 99.9% positive you could only Get the GTS in 95. And that 99+ all came with power windows and locks. But I did forget you could get GTs in 99-00 with 16's.
    The ones with the 16s are the stripped down versions. I may be wrong that they called them GTS's but I always call them that. This chic I knew had one. Totally stripped not even air but did have power locks and windows I think, not 100% sure.
    324hp/333tq

lee1rbc
    OK, you guys win, Ford can make a real cheap Mustang. But all I am saying is when both cars have the same options there basically the same price.
    But hey, thats what Ford has done such a great job on. Marketing that there car was cheaper then an F-body but basically the same car. I remember in 94 hearing the commercials from Ford about how Camaros where still using that old pushrod V8 while Ford had a state of the art ohc motor, and you could get the car for less. Does anyone else hear remember those commercials?

Quote Originally Posted by lee1rbc
    OK, you guys win, Ford can make a real cheap Mustang. But all I am saying is when both cars have the same options there basically the same price.
    But hey, thats what Ford has done such a great job on. Marketing that there car was cheaper then an F-body but basically the same car. I remember in 94 hearing the commercials from Ford about how Camaros where still using that old pushrod V8 while Ford had a state of the art ohc motor, and you could get the car for less. Does anyone else hear remember those commercials?
    nope but I do remember making fun of how slow those cars were.

Torch Red
    2003 Mach 1

Quote Originally Posted by lee1rbc

Actually ford was still using the 5-doh! in 94-95. The ohcs didn't come out in the mustang till 96. And talking about turds...holy crap, 96-98 GTs where sloooooow. The first semi-repectable ohc was the 98 Cobra.

Black
    2000 WS6

Comparing GT's to Z28's and TA's is retarded. I don't blame you guys though (well actually I do), magazines used to do the same thing.

A Z28/TA has the same motor as a SS/WS6. A GT does NOT have the same motor as a Cobra. Not to mention the LS1 in the F-Body's were underrated due to GM not wanting the much cheaper cars show to have as much power as the Vette. The Vette was rated at 345 bhp, which would have been a correct bhp rating for the LS1 F-Bod's.

The stock DOHC Cobras stood up pretty decently to stock LS1's. Generally would be neck to neck until the LS1 started to crawl away at 3rd gear. The DOHC's were rated at 320, but remember that the LS1 was UNDERrated at 320. A car accelerates the fastest at it's PEAK TORQUE for any given gear, and LS1's had more peak torque and torque under the curve.

And 03-04 Cobras are badass. I wish the F-Bodies would have still been around, it would have been sweet to see what the answer to the blower was....

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

[QUOTE=Louie]Comparing GT's to Z28's and TA's is retarded. I don't blame you guys though (well actually I do), magazines used to do the same thing.

A Z28/TA has the same motor as a SS/WS6. A GT does NOT have the same motor as a Cobra. Not to mention the LS1 in the F-Body's were underrated due to GM not wanting the much cheaper cars show to have as much power as the Vette. The Vette was rated at 345 bhp, which would have been a correct bhp rating for the LS1 F-Bod's.QUOTE]
    Yeah, we're retarded, I mean camaros and GTs have only been rivals for ohhhhhhh 30+ years, let's just drop it all of the sudden eh?

Torch Red
    2003 Mach 1

[QUOTE=z_driver1]
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie
    Comparing GT's to Z28's and TA's is retarded. I don't blame you guys though (well actually I do), magazines used to do the same thing.

A Z28/TA has the same motor as a SS/WS6. A GT does NOT have the same motor as a Cobra. Not to mention the LS1 in the F-Body's were underrated due to GM not wanting the much cheaper cars show to have as much power as the Vette. The Vette was rated at 345 bhp, which would have been a correct bhp rating for the LS1 F-Bod's.QUOTE]
    Yeah, we're retarded, I mean camaros and GTs have only been rivals for ohhhhhhh 30+ years, let's just drop it all of the sudden eh?

I have to agree with him on this one. V6 vs. V6, GT vs. Z28, Cobra vs. SS (T/A).

Black
    2000 WS6

Then for the LS1 years, why not compare GT's to SS?

A Z28 is just as fast as an SS.

Torch Red
    2003 Mach 1

And I have to agree with you on the being just as fast part. But also a 99 Cobra wasn't much faster than a GT(a tenth or two diffrence) due to the all new IRS mostly.

There was actually an internet article back in the day comparing a 00 GT, a 00 T/A, and a 00 SS.

Besides GM was trying to save every penny they could. They didn't want to spend the extra money making major diffrences between the two. The only person that loses in that one are non-Fbody drivers.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Ok.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

gt to cobra is about as much difference as Z28 to SS up until 2003. Z28 is rival to the GT, so we compare them. GT and cobra may have different engines, but they are still very close in performence just like the Z and SS or t/a and WS6

lee1rbc
    Originally Posted by Derk
    Actually ford was still using the 5-doh! in 94-95.
    Sorry, that radio commercial must have been in 95 when the 96 model came out. Now I remember, the 5.0 had to use a smaller intake in 94 because the high rise intake wouldn't fit under the hood do to the car being designed for the 4.6. It's all starting to come back to me.

Black
    2000 WS6

gt to cobra is about as much difference as Z28 to SS up until 2003. Z28 is rival to the GT, so we compare them. GT and cobra may have different engines, but they are still very close in performence just like the Z and SS or t/a and WS6
    You are still missing the point. There is NO difference in speed between a Z28 and an SS. There is NO difference in speed between a T/A and a WS6. The LS1 SS and Z28 are appearance packages with slighty tighter suspensions. Saying an SS has a slight edge over a Z28 is incorrect. One stock Z28 might beat one stock SS, and another stock SS might beat another stock Z28. Go over to LS1tech and ask people what there car dyno'd and/or ran stock. You will get plenty of Z28's and T/A's that ran faster and dyno'd higher than SS' and WS6's and visa versa.

For the mustangs of similar years, this is not the case. The GT's had a single overhead cam and ran mid 14's. The Cobras had a double overhead cam and ran mid 13's. 1 second, is a HUGE difference.

Do you see the difference?

Torch Red
    2003 Mach 1

You are still missing the point. There is NO difference in speed between a Z28 and an SS. There is NO difference in speed between a T/A and a WS6. The LS1 SS and Z28 are appearance packages with slighty tighter suspensions. Saying an SS has a slight edge over a Z28 is incorrect. One stock Z28 might beat one stock SS, and another stock SS might beat another stock Z28. Go over to LS1tech and ask people what there car dyno'd and/or ran stock. You will get plenty of Z28's and T/A's that ran faster and dyno'd higher than SS' and WS6's and visa versa.

For the mustangs of similar years, this is not the case. The GT's had a single overhead cam and ran mid 14's. The Cobras had a double overhead cam and ran mid 13's. 1 second, is a HUGE difference.

But I'm still going to say that's Ford's fault.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

#1 SS and WS6 are more likely to have different gears in an automatic #2 Dynos don't take advantage of ram air hoods #3 SS and WS6 generally come with different exhaust than Z28 and T/A. They aren't advertised as having higher HP for no reason. #4 Suspension makes for an edge over a Z28 or T/A it is a very valid point for why they would be slightly faster. Ram air, diff suspension, diff exhaust, and possibly different gears doesn't give them an edge?
    Also, your opinion doesn't change the fact that Z28s are rival to GTs. It isn't our fault a Z28 will stomp a hole in a GTs ass, it is still our rival and we will still compare them. Just because the LS1 is faster than a plain GT we aren't supposed to compare it? I don't understand your point

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information