Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 271

Why are Stangs so much slower?

This is a discussion on Why are Stangs so much slower? within the Domestics and Foreigns forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by jamesklyne Wow, there's alot of misinformation in this thread. BTW, the new 505hp z06 is definately badass, ...

  1. #81
    your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cleveland ohio
    Posts
    11,376

    trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesklyne
    Wow, there's alot of misinformation in this thread.

    BTW, the new 505hp z06 is definately badass, and so is the 07 Shelby GT500... 475hp (probably underated).

    Oh, and hi... I'm new.
    so with all that work you did to your car, you can know hang with an
    ls1?

  2. #82
    jamesklyne
    Guest
    Apparently only if they miss a gear.

    Mustangs + boost =

    I wish FBody's had more room in the engine bay though. It would make turbo'ing my future T/A much easier.

  3. #83
    your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cleveland ohio
    Posts
    11,376

    trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

    the new out is put under the car in the back. its on here somewhere.

  4. #84
    9sec302
    Guest

    Talking

    H8MACHINE, it seems obvious you're trying to start a Ford VS. Chevy war but let me see if I can "maybe" help you out here.

    First things first.........If you have more money (like stated) you go fast. It doesnt matter if it's a V8, V6 4 cylinder, Ford, Chevrolet, Honda etc.......

    Now, your question is why are Mustangs slow?
    Define: slow

    The 96-03 Mustangs are 4.6 ltrs (that's a 281 block compared to a 346 block). The LS1s are badass motors, that's no secret, they have a ton of technology in them and run damn good from the factory. Hell I wish with Mustangs all you could do is tune them, add a stall, some gears and exhaust and they ran mid to low 12s all day. The fact of the matter is, they don't!!

    Ford is more interested in building a sports car cheap so they sell. That is why in 99' the GTs went for 23k and the Z28s went for around 26k-28k. A lot of your older generation guys just want something that has a little more muscle than a Maxima or an Impala SS but with the name (Mustang) or in someone elses matter (The Camaro Z28). The 4.6 ltr mustangs are cranking out 260hp vs the Ls1 Z28s 305 hp.

    It went like this. From 82-92 the Mustangs ruled the street (stock). From 93-02 the Camaros ruled the street. It wasnt until the introduction of the 03' Cobra that Ford could run with the Camaro. Hell the Z28s were running with the Cobras in 99'. If the Cobras had an edge on the Z28s, it wasnt more than probably a bumper to a half of a car, and for the price, the Z28 was the car to buy.

    You'll hear certain people bash a mustang as you will hear certain people bash a camaro, but in my view, they are both american made muscle cars or pony cars. In 99-00-and 01 Chevrolet was producing way more camaros than people were buying and people started realizing, that for 26k-28k they could buy a Mustang (yes slower) and save a few grand. Now days people are more interested in the family style vehicles (4-door trucks and SUVs) which is why Ford plans to cut 30,000 jobs in the next 6 yrs.

    As far as the 2003' Cobra goes, yes the car is in the neighborhood of 35k, and some of you might criticize them, but in all honesty, those cars are a badass car to have. The Vettes cost more than those Cobras and dont run as good, why? because the Vette is more of a sports car vs. a race car. Whoever compared the 02' SS to the 03' Cobra was way off, the 02' SS ran around a low low 13 to a high 12 stock. The 03's run mid 12s all day. Now.........is an 03' more expensive than an SS, yes but not that much more expensive. the 02' SSs went for what, 30k-32k ???

    The 03's have a blower and a bottom end rated for 900-1000 hp. That's obvious why the car costs as much as it does, but then again, you're getting a lot of car for 35k. It's not Fords fault they built a car that the public can buy with a power adder.

    Saleens.........hmm, they've been criticized for years. The Saleen Mustang isnt really considered as a 1/4 mile car. Those cars sell mainly because of the looks (The ground effects, wing, hood, rims, interior, etc..........and some of them do have superchargers but they are nearly as fast as they are capable of being made. If you buy a Saleen you're going to get the car tuned for everyday driving and more top end mph. Most guys who own them, dont buy them to run the 1/4 mile, so they arent going to tune them. People rag on the Saleens all the time but they dont realize that the Saleen is more of a cheap exotic car.

    The simple point is, when you say a Mustang is slow you're not really being considerate beings that the Mustangs are still being produced and the Camaros arent. Anyone can get on here and start in on how camaros arent being made any more, etc, but it's a pointless post. Drive what you prefer and race what you prefer, but be careful when you call a mustang slow, you might line up against a 9 Second 302 one day..........
    Last edited by 9sec302; 01-25-2006 at 01:11 PM.

  5. #85
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Switzerland (Europe)
    Age
    34
    Posts
    107

    White
    1992 Chevi Beretta GTZ

    You say a 99 Stang will never ran as fast as a F-Body will? Because i have a interesting offer from a guy with a 99 Mustang GT still stock but less dollars than every F-Body in country. :s

  6. #86
    your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cleveland ohio
    Posts
    11,376

    trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

    Quote Originally Posted by H8machine
    You say a 99 Stang will never ran as fast as a F-Body will? Because i have a interesting offer from a guy with a 99 Mustang GT still stock but less dollars than every F-Body in country. :s
    hey just have him fly it in, then go through customs, and i'll see him in a month or so. just tell what country or state you want him to lose in. any pics of the beretta? thanks jeremy

  7. #87
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Switzerland (Europe)
    Age
    34
    Posts
    107

    White
    1992 Chevi Beretta GTZ

    @1fastcamarosss11
    Hmmm... i'm a little bit confused about your message... may my english isn't that well because i live in Switzerland (Europe) and my first language is German.
    What do you mean "fly in"? The Stang? I will customize every Muscle Car but i can not spend so much money and here in Switzerland arn't many good cars and the offer i got is really good.

    Pics of the Beretta... have to do it because a new computer and stored Images were on the damaged disk. =( But will do. You wanna buy and pay same price for shipping then the car costs?

  8. #88
    9sec302
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by H8machine
    zinc: You are a Cobra Owner... thats diffrent i think. I talk first from the Mustang GT's since the new one comes out. There (STOCK) are slow everywhere i find stats about them. 6.8sec 0-60 is slow for a stock 2000 Mustang GT. A Camaro Z28 goes in 5.6 or 5.4 ... don't remember the correct stats now.

    Where did you find this stat..........6.8 seconds from 0-60?????

    How come in the begining of this post you were dogin' mustangs and now you're going to buy one? IF you can save 3k or more, then buy the mustang but if you're only going to save about 2k or less, you'd be crazy to buy the GT. You're going to have to dump about a thousand into it or more, just to make it run next to the LS1s. You'll need gears, full exhaust and a K&N just to run next to an LS1 and that's actually me giving you about a car length.

    Oh well, it's what you prefer.........

  9. #89
    your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cleveland ohio
    Posts
    11,376

    trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

    Quote Originally Posted by H8machine
    @1fastcamarosss11
    Hmmm... i'm a little bit confused about your message... may my english isn't that well because i live in Switzerland (Europe) and my first language is German.
    What do you mean "fly in"? The Stang? I will customize every Muscle Car but i can not spend so much money and here in Switzerland arn't many good cars and the offer i got is really good.

    Pics of the Beretta... have to do it because a new computer and stored Images were on the damaged disk. =( But will do. You wanna buy and pay same price for shipping then the car costs?
    sorry man i was just messing with you a little. i though you were saying your friend car wanted to race i must have misread it. thanks jeremy

  10. #90
    Member mogs01gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    37
    Posts
    676
    Quote Originally Posted by H8machine
    You say a 99 Stang will never ran as fast as a F-Body will? Because i have a interesting offer from a guy with a 99 Mustang GT still stock but less dollars than every F-Body in country. :s
    Anything can be made fast. The engine in the ls1 is better on a performance platform.
    324hp/333tq

  11. #91
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Switzerland (Europe)
    Age
    34
    Posts
    107

    White
    1992 Chevi Beretta GTZ

    Quote Originally Posted by 9sec302
    Where did you find this stat..........6.8 seconds from 0-60?????

    How come in the begining of this post you were dogin' mustangs and now you're going to buy one? IF you can save 3k or more, then buy the mustang but if you're only going to save about 2k or less, you'd be crazy to buy the GT. You're going to have to dump about a thousand into it or more, just to make it run next to the LS1s. You'll need gears, full exhaust and a K&N just to run next to an LS1 and that's actually me giving you about a car length.

    Oh well, it's what you prefer.........
    Hmmm... dunno where i found this horrible stat... Newer stats are 5.5 and 14.1 for quartermile...

    I never dodged Stangs! I just asked WHY they are slower. =) And looking is cool. I will save around 4000USD to the next LS1 6-Speeder in my whole country. I also say a 08-02 T/A WS6 looks MUCH better than a Stang. But a Z28 (LS1) looks not as good as a Stang (an SS do ^^) But i don't find cars and shipping one to europe... it costs so much and takes so long. I can't do it. I have recalculated my budget. =(
    Last edited by H8machine; 01-27-2006 at 02:35 PM.

  12. #92
    lee1rbc
    Guest
    I hear people saying that Mustangs are cheaper then F-body cars? If you got a M6 F-body without T-tops no traction control and cloth I think they sold for 22k in 01. Traction control was a $500 option. T-tops are a $1,000 option. Today I can buy a 01 Z28 with 35k for around 15k. Hey, I just thought of something, I could by a 93 Z28 for 4K and still have more car then a GT.

  13. #93
    lee1rbc
    Guest
    Hey, don't get me wrong if there was no Mustang there would be no Camaro.
    Back in 91 I drove an 88LX 5.0 and I loved to race Vettes. Also in high school I had a 66 A code 4spd 3.91r. I also have test drove and looked at buying a 99, and 06 GT. When I was driving the 06 it had a great feel and I love how it shifted, but my wife said "It is so much slower then your T/A and I don't think youll be happy." I told the sales guy its a nice car but not enough power. He then asked if I could take him for a ride in my T/A to compare. So my wife stayed in the showroom with the kids and I took the sales guy for a ride. After two traffic light and a couple turns, the salesman said "man, the GT is a nice sporty car, but this is a real performance machine!" He then said that he had been looking at buying a used Mustang but didn't realize how much more car the F-body is.

    I know the argument, (you can make any car fast.) But money doesn't grow on trees and this summer I plan on putting my ($9,500) T/A in the 11's and do it by spending less then $2k. (stall,susp,cam,exhaust.)

  14. #94
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Switzerland (Europe)
    Age
    34
    Posts
    107

    White
    1992 Chevi Beretta GTZ

    You all have to see: Here in Switzerland are around 5-10 T/A WS6 manual with T-TOPS! So you can imagine that the prices are really high. There are around 100 Stangs and that's the reason why they are much cheaper than a WS6 and i don't like the look of the 98-02 Camaros Z28... and there are also just a handful of them in my country... so i have to look to the alternative cars.

  15. #95
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tuscumbia, AL
    Age
    33
    Posts
    45

    Torch Red
    2003 Mach 1

    Quote Originally Posted by 9sec302
    H8MACHINE, it seems obvious you're trying to start a Ford VS. Chevy war but let me see if I can "maybe" help you out here.

    First things first.........If you have more money (like stated) you go fast. It doesnt matter if it's a V8, V6 4 cylinder, Ford, Chevrolet, Honda etc.......

    Now, your question is why are Mustangs slow?
    Define: slow

    The 96-03 Mustangs are 4.6 ltrs (that's a 281 block compared to a 346 block). The LS1s are badass motors, that's no secret, they have a ton of technology in them and run damn good from the factory. Hell I wish with Mustangs all you could do is tune them, add a stall, some gears and exhaust and they ran mid to low 12s all day. The fact of the matter is, they don't!!

    Ford is more interested in building a sports car cheap so they sell. That is why in 99' the GTs went for 23k and the Z28s went for around 26k-28k. A lot of your older generation guys just want something that has a little more muscle than a Maxima or an Impala SS but with the name (Mustang) or in someone elses matter (The Camaro Z28). The 4.6 ltr mustangs are cranking out 260hp vs the Ls1 Z28s 305 hp.

    It went like this. From 82-92 the Mustangs ruled the street (stock). From 93-02 the Camaros ruled the street. It wasnt until the introduction of the 03' Cobra that Ford could run with the Camaro. Hell the Z28s were running with the Cobras in 99'. If the Cobras had an edge on the Z28s, it wasnt more than probably a bumper to a half of a car, and for the price, the Z28 was the car to buy.

    You'll hear certain people bash a mustang as you will hear certain people bash a camaro, but in my view, they are both american made muscle cars or pony cars. In 99-00-and 01 Chevrolet was producing way more camaros than people were buying and people started realizing, that for 26k-28k they could buy a Mustang (yes slower) and save a few grand. Now days people are more interested in the family style vehicles (4-door trucks and SUVs) which is why Ford plans to cut 30,000 jobs in the next 6 yrs.

    As far as the 2003' Cobra goes, yes the car is in the neighborhood of 35k, and some of you might criticize them, but in all honesty, those cars are a badass car to have. The Vettes cost more than those Cobras and dont run as good, why? because the Vette is more of a sports car vs. a race car. Whoever compared the 02' SS to the 03' Cobra was way off, the 02' SS ran around a low low 13 to a high 12 stock. The 03's run mid 12s all day. Now.........is an 03' more expensive than an SS, yes but not that much more expensive. the 02' SSs went for what, 30k-32k ???

    The 03's have a blower and a bottom end rated for 900-1000 hp. That's obvious why the car costs as much as it does, but then again, you're getting a lot of car for 35k. It's not Fords fault they built a car that the public can buy with a power adder.

    Saleens.........hmm, they've been criticized for years. The Saleen Mustang isnt really considered as a 1/4 mile car. Those cars sell mainly because of the looks (The ground effects, wing, hood, rims, interior, etc..........and some of them do have superchargers but they are nearly as fast as they are capable of being made. If you buy a Saleen you're going to get the car tuned for everyday driving and more top end mph. Most guys who own them, dont buy them to run the 1/4 mile, so they arent going to tune them. People rag on the Saleens all the time but they dont realize that the Saleen is more of a cheap exotic car.

    The simple point is, when you say a Mustang is slow you're not really being considerate beings that the Mustangs are still being produced and the Camaros arent. Anyone can get on here and start in on how camaros arent being made any more, etc, but it's a pointless post. Drive what you prefer and race what you prefer, but be careful when you call a mustang slow, you might line up against a 9 Second 302 one day..........
    Well said.

    In my experiences racing LS1s...

    My old 01 Gt would hang about half way through 2 before it started to get ugly. Me and a friend of mine (02 Z28) would race and by the end of first his front was at my side, at the end of second my front would be at his side, but as soon as I hit third I might as well of stopped. It was like I put on the brakes. I'm talking about uuugggllly.

    In my 03 Mach I've really only raced 3 LS1s while stock.

    Same guy as previous story, only he had traded for an 02 RamAir T/A. I don't know what the deal was but it was never really close. I mean from the start I just steadily pulled from him about 2 car lengths give or take time after time.
    ----
    A friend of his with an auto 01 Z28 bone stock. We raced countless times and everytime we both launched well the outcome was the same. Dead even. I would pull just a little almost not enough to count and when I would shift he would pull back even. I'm talking about a foot diffrence at the very most at any given time.
    ----
    Then the last one was an 02 RamAir T/A with nittos, 4.56s, shifter, air lid, and full exhaust. We raced twice.Both times he took me off the line by about a car. But by the time we reached a 100mph his nose was at my side.

    Talking about me being super excited and him supper pissed. But we both knew something was wrong. And sure enough come to find out he wasn't running on all 8 cylinders

  16. #96
    Member mogs01gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    37
    Posts
    676
    Quote Originally Posted by lee1rbc
    I hear people saying that Mustangs are cheaper then F-body cars? If you got a M6 F-body without T-tops no traction control and cloth I think they sold for 22k in 01. Traction control was a $500 option. T-tops are a $1,000 option. Today I can buy a 01 Z28 with 35k for around 15k. Hey, I just thought of something, I could by a 93 Z28 for 4K and still have more car then a GT.
    because a fully loaded GT was 21-23k while a stripped version was around 16k

  17. #97
    SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lost in Texas
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,683

    Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

    Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt
    because a fully loaded GT was 21-23k while a stripped version was around 16k
    16,000 dollar brand new GT, I don't care if you had to get out and crank it to start it by hand, you coudn't get it for 16 new

  18. #98
    SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lost in Texas
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,683

    Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

    Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt
    because a fully loaded GT was 21-23k while a stripped version was around 16k
    Here's what you call backing up your numbers.

    The Mustang offers a 3.8-liter V6 with 150 horsepower and 215 foot-pounds of torque, for $17,020, and a V6 convertible for $21,520. The GT, powered by a 4.6-liter, single overhead-cam V8 rated at 225 hp and 290 lbs.-ft. for 1998, starts at $21,020 for the coupe and $25,020 for the convertible.
    Note that you couldn't even get a STRIPPED v6 for the price you quote on a GT. I'm not trying to get into the age old mustang vs camaro pissing contest, but give real numbers if you are trying to make an argument.

    Link to the numbers: http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/ke.kb.r...tang&98mustang

  19. #99
    lee1rbc
    Guest
    because a fully loaded GT was 21-23k while a stripped version was around 16k
    I think thats for a stripped v6.

  20. #100
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tuscumbia, AL
    Age
    33
    Posts
    45

    Torch Red
    2003 Mach 1

    Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    16,000 dollar brand new GT, I don't care if you had to get out and crank it to start it by hand, you coudn't get it for 16 new


    I wouldn't say 16k But you could have got a stripped version for just shy of 20k. My dad walked out the door with my 01 GT w/ every option minus the auto trans for like $21,1XX. I kid you not. No trade in no anything.

    And I remember us pricing a Z28 so we might be able to say "We can get a Z28 right down the road for X amount." We found a similar optioned one for, I want to say, almost 27k.

    I mean don't get me wrong with the Z you where starting out with a lot faster machine and a lot more potential down the road. but like it's been said before it's all about how fast you can afford to go.

    EDIT: And for the record I bought my mach brand new with .3 miles on it for $23,3xx.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Any of you guys know fox body stangs?
    By EnjoiJoe in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 08-08-2009, 04:23 PM
  2. F-bodies vs the new stangs
    By Intrepidman in forum Drag Racing
    Replies: 169
    Last Post: 02-16-2009, 12:31 PM
  3. vid from the wicked stangs cruise
    By 01SOMSS! in forum Western Members
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-22-2008, 07:39 PM
  4. Two New Stangs...Slain>>> by Po-Po
    By Crimson Sin in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-19-2008, 06:51 PM
  5. Why So Many Stangs...............?
    By matthewaqui in forum Domestics and Foreigns
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-30-2008, 02:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •