Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 91011121314 LastLast

Why are Stangs so much slower?

This is a discussion on Why are Stangs so much slower? within the Domestics and Foreigns forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by zwaldo don't know where your shopping at, because to this date i can't find one under 23,000 ...

Torch Red
    2K3 SVT Cobra 10th Av.

Quote Originally Posted by zwaldo View Post
    don't know where your shopping at, because to this date i can't find one under 23,000 on cars.com

the supercharged cobra is some god aweful beast that the svt team somehow slipped by the heads at ford before they could stop it. The car is fast! But what car wouldn't be fast with a supercharged modern v8.....But the car isn't cheep :P. The car was produced to try and run with the z06 corvette. Both of which I'd never own, because they don't have a targa top as an option.

my friend has a convertible 04 cobra which I liked a lot. But there are a few disadvantages to the car over an f body. 1, the MPG isn't even in the same ball park as an f body. 2. it's geared so low from the factory that the thing was running over 2,000 rpm at 60 mph in 6th gear. if you geared a NA f body to that extent you'd have a race on your hands.
    3.55s from the factory, and it takes a lot more then gear to get an f-body up to snuff w/ a terminator.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by hurtindude View Post
    3.55s from the factory, and it takes a lot more then gear to get an f-body up to snuff w/ a terminator.
    F bods still trounce the 03/04 Cobras at the track here. Never seen a "Terminator" run faster than 11.5 personally. I have lots of friends with 10 second LS1 Fods and two in the nines.

Blue
    04 Mach 1

sooo, i have friends that have 8 sec civics and a dinosar in their back yard!
    If you spend the money then the f body can run with an 03-04 cobra. All you would need is a good set of heads and a cam. Or some juice and you would be set.
    Oh and why dont the machs count again?

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Bahh, an SS/WS6 will beat a Mustang GT. It won't beat a 03/4 Cobra though. The Cobra. The Mach1's are on equal footing with the LS1's 1/4 mile wise.

SS Camaros did not cost as much as 03/04 Cobras either. Alot of people got them for $28-30K. I've heard of people getting the 03 Cobras for $33K, but it was uncommon. Most people paid $35K for them, from what i've heard.

Interestingly no car magazine ever got track times for the Intimidator SS. I would've liked to see how well it faired against the 03 Cobra.
    2001 T/A WS6 M6
    LS6 Cam/Springs, Lid, SLP Pulley, Magnaflow Catback, TBCB, Richmond 4.10 gearing, Panhard Rod, Strut Tower Brace, Low Control Arms, Lou Thesz Short Stick
    Dyno 351rwhp/341rwtq, and tuned by RacePrep via HP Tuners.

Crimson Red
    2004 Mustang GT

Anyone want a 2004 Mustang GT, I want to trade for a 2002 T/A. But on the lines of this thread, I love all AMerican cars that have v-8s, any car with 300 ft-lbs of torque or more is a muscle car in my book. I really want a 2002 T/A WS6. Comon, I know someone wants to come to the dark side.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonGT View Post
    Anyone want a 2004 Mustang GT, I want to trade for a 2002 T/A. But on the lines of this thread, I love all AMerican cars that have v-8s, any car with 300 ft-lbs of torque or more is a muscle car in my book. I really want a 2002 T/A WS6. Comon, I know someone wants to come to the dark side.
    If I wanted to run 14's I'd just pull one of my spark plugs out and run on 7 cylinders. (j/k)

navy blue silver stripes
    99 z28

your question is the answer

Now Know As Camaro98

Red
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Ill just say this i love all american cars but iam a chevy man i would take an Ls1 over the Gt or Cobra but thats just my style no trash talking just my oppion

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

The only thing wrong with a Cobra is that F word attached to it.

Red
    02 T/A WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    According to the wife....wayyyyyy too much....lol......I may get a little crazy one day and try some race gas and then kick the boost up and play with the timing a little.....I just didn't see the need at the time.........you know what's even funnier......when the car is sitting still you really can't tell it's capable of that....I mean you can hear the cam a little but it's not radical.....I have people look at the car and they only see one tail pipe and think it's a v-6....lol...we have this kid here in town that has a WRX and he supposidly put a lot of money into it......I absolutley Annihilated him.....
    You talking about the blue WRX that for some reason is always driving around no matter what time of day it is ? lol

Orange
    2003 civic Si

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    According to the wife....wayyyyyy too much....lol......I may get a little crazy one day and try some race gas and then kick the boost up and play with the timing a little.....I just didn't see the need at the time.........you know what's even funnier......when the car is sitting still you really can't tell it's capable of that....I mean you can hear the cam a little but it's not radical.....I have people look at the car and they only see one tail pipe and think it's a v-6....lol...we have this kid here in town that has a WRX and he supposidly put a lot of money into it......I absolutley Annihilated him.....
    I seriously doubt that. If the WRX was an STI it runs 13.2 stock, it will shit on any stock muscle car stock vs stock. If he spent alot of money into the engine I doubt you would kill him easily. BUT, if he put the money into useless addons like bodykits and other gay shit like that yea im sure it wouldent be hard to beat him. Never underestimate AWD.

Orange
    2003 civic Si

Oh and by the way, stangs arent slower. Stock vs stock a cobra would eat an SS and shit it out as a cavalier.

Torch Red
    2003 Mach 1

Quote Originally Posted by zwaldo View Post
    don't know where your shopping at, because to this date i can't find one under 23,000 on cars.com

the supercharged cobra is some god aweful beast that the svt team somehow slipped by the heads at ford before they could stop it. The car is fast! But what car wouldn't be fast with a supercharged modern v8.....But the car isn't cheep :P. The car was produced to try and run with the z06 corvette. Both of which I'd never own, because they don't have a targa top as an option.

my friend has a convertible 04 cobra which I liked a lot. But there are a few disadvantages to the car over an f body. 1, the MPG isn't even in the same ball park as an f body. 2. it's geared so low from the factory that the thing was running over 2,000 rpm at 60 mph in 6th gear. if you geared a NA f body to that extent you'd have a race on your hands.
    Your crazy about the Cobra's being geared really low. Like the other guy said, they are geared 3.55s. Which is the same as the mach and I only have a 5 speed and I'm barely at 2000 RPM at 60.

And price wise most people who didn't buy the first couple thousand 03 Cobra could get a hardtop for around 32k. I know I seen some Z28s back in 02 when I was looking at a local GM lot for a T/A that stickered for 28k. Back then I had an 01 Gt and I was thinking I paid 21k for the GT the Z is 28k....for 7 I could supercharge and add some hefty suspension work.

But now I don't know how much it would have cost you to walk off the lot with the Z. As my Mach stickered a hair under 30k and I walked off the lot with less than a mile on the odometer at just a hair over 23k before trade in.

Red
    1993 Mazda rx7

Dude man, 03-04 cobras are damn fast. I'd rather have one of those than any camaro, firebird, or T/A out there. But when it comes up to the vette, i don't know.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Derk View Post
    And price wise most people who didn't buy the first couple thousand 03 Cobra could get a hardtop for around 32k. I know I seen some Z28s back in 02 when I was looking at a local GM lot for a T/A that stickered for 28k. Back then I had an 01 Gt and I was thinking I paid 21k for the GT the Z is 28k....for 7 I could supercharge and add some hefty suspension work.

You're taking the lowest possible price for a Cobra and comparing it to the highest possible price one would have paid for a Z28. Maybe you could get a Cobra for $32,000 but they stickered at $35,000. Z28's stickered at around $27,000 and could be had for $25,000.

Torch Red
    2003 Mach 1

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    You're taking the lowest possible price for a Cobra and comparing it to the highest possible price one would have paid for a Z28. Maybe you could get a Cobra for $32,000 but they stickered at $35,000. Z28's stickered at around $27,000 and could be had for $25,000.

As why I specified I didn't know how much it would cost you to walk off the lot with the Z.

blue
    1999 pontiac Trans AM

you cobra guys are dumb you have a supercharged 4 cam engine and you want to say you are fast? H*ll no, my 5.7 runs with you and it doesnt have a blower but if you wanna talk let us LS1 boys supercharge ours and then what would you snake boys do? That supercharged 4.6 is like force feeding a 2 year old. Ford tried to cut corners with a blower if they did it it right a 5.4 would be under the jood. Its called a sports car because its the only thing Ford could afford. It does suck to waste 30k on a 15.0 sec. car or a 13.5 with the quad cam and blower. But to each his own, I know that I dont have 600 rwhp but I can run the same times as a Corba with it.

blue
    1999 pontiac Trans AM

And who ever said the Mach 1 is running with a F-body just lied!! Mach 1 is just as slow 300 bhp is not up to par sorry for you

Torch Red
    2003 Mach 1

Quote Originally Posted by Bose2683 View Post
    And who ever said the Mach 1 is running with a F-body just lied!! Mach 1 is just as slow 300 bhp is not up to par sorry for you

You have no idea what your talking about...someone ban this idiot!

blue
    1999 pontiac Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by Derk View Post
    You have no idea what your talking about...someone ban this idiot!
    I could of sworn this was LS1 not any thing to do with Ford or there slow cars so tell me again why you thinhk I could be kicked off and on the other note your mach one cant never could beat my F-Body. Stangs are so slow they need there own class! Cobras are supercharged so HP is easy but it is still supercharged and i run without that. and by the way i had a Roush Mustang that i got brand new and i traded it because i like 2 WIN and it didnt do the job. But my new Mustang killer sure will!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 91011121314 LastLast

Thread Information