Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Whats up with the new Challenger

I had totally forgotten about it coming out, i saw something on it in a magazine several months ago, but no good info. I didn't even know they were for sale yet.

But anyway, I passed one on my way to work today, didnt get a real good look, but it was nice, first of all these retro muscle cars that actually looks like the old one. but yeah, does anyone know much about it?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Talking

Hi Spikito,

Yesterday I read about it in specialized magazine. It will even be officially sold in Europe but with the V6 only. But in the magazine they test-drove a Challenger SRT-8 with a 6.1 litre Hemi engine, 425 HP and 570 nM of torque, 5 speed auto-transmission.
    There's one free dealer in Germany who imports them on his own, but the price is just insane: 59900 Euros; thats approx. 93264 dollars!
    I guess the Challenger is cheaper in the US...
    And I think they only build 6400 of themin 2008 and consequently the cars got a plate on the dasboard e.g. 570 of 6400...

There's a friend of mine who eventually wanted to swap his Mustang GT for a new Challenger, but at this price...

In the same magazine there was also an article stating that there might be a 'Kowalski-version' of the car (the movie "Vanishing Point"), the same way Ford did a Bullitt-version of th Mustang. Of course, that's only speculation.

Paul
    Last edited by Popeye1970; 08-07-2008 at 02:13 AM.

Blue
    2000 Firebird

Theres an str-8 at a dealer down the road from me that sold for 41K. The salesman said no one can keep them on the lots. They sell before they even get them in. I believe on dodge's website the base challenger is 22K. That hugger orange black striped str-8 was the sweetest car i've seen in a long time. I've also seen a silver one and a darker red one but those colors just dont compare.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by silvershot07 View Post
    Theres an str-8 at a dealer down the road from me that sold for 41K. The salesman said no one can keep them on the lots. They sell before they even get them in. I believe on dodge's website the base challenger is 22K. That hugger orange black striped str-8 was the sweetest car i've seen in a long time. I've also seen a silver one and a darker red one but those colors just dont compare.
    The first year of production will only be the SRT8 model. Next year we will see the R/T as well as a manual transmission.

They are nice, but they are heavy and not as fast as I thought they would be. Can't wait for the new camaro!

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Overpriced pile.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Overpriced pile.
    Well that is basically the short version of my comment! Thanks Luos!

They have been out and about for a little while now.

There is a nice looking orange one that has been coming to our local cruise inn every week for the last 2 months. He rides up with his buddy that has an SRT8 4 door Charger I think it is,,,,with the 6.1 hemi. It's been worked on and currently running 11.70's on a drag radial, no power adders.

Pretty respectable and I didn't suspect it being that fast when I first layed eyes on it. I would imagine people will start tweaking the Challengers too.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Overpriced pile.
    Just wait until the Mr. Norm's Super Challenger comes out....overpriced supercharged pile....

http://www.mrnormsperformance.com/super-challenger.php

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Blue
    2000 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    The first year of production will only be the SRT8 model. Next year we will see the R/T as well as a manual transmission.

They are nice, but they are heavy and not as fast as I thought they would be. Can't wait for the new camaro!
    Are you sure about that? Because the sales guy said that a woman who came in and got an F-150 wanted to come back for an R/T. Maybe he meant order it for next year? I dont know.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

"Choose from Mr. Norm's style and performance proven packages, from 600 to 900hp. "

Holy f'in shite man....where do I sign? you know those will cost a fortune...

We'll have to see if they are really overpriced compared to something similar.

Honestly I don't see the new camaro coming out blowing Mopars prices out of the water.

If you think about it our older LS1 4th gens were also overpriced pigs when they were new considering the time frame.

10 years ago 30G's was alot for a performance car,,,and the top of the line WS6 and SS models stickered well over 30G's back then.

I don't see the new camaro being any cheaper,,,given the fact that several years have gone by it will most likely be more money now.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Hard to argue when a 325HP T/A or Camaro got 29MPG on the highway.

And this land yacht gets 18-19 on the highway.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by silvershot07 View Post
    Are you sure about that? Because the sales guy said that a woman who came in and got an F-150 wanted to come back for an R/T. Maybe he meant order it for next year? I dont know.
    Pretty sure, there are no RT models out until next year. Talk about jumping the gun just to beat the Camaro production.

Hard to argue when a 325HP T/A or Camaro got 29MPG on the highway.

And this land yacht gets 18-19 on the highway.
    I don't think any of us (at least I hope not) worry about gas mileage when looking at performance cars.

Any way you cut it,,,,30+ grand for a car in 1998 or even 2002 was alot of dough compared to other cars offered from that era that compare to the Fbody. Lets face it,,,these Fbodies were a little steep on price too when they were new. 6 years goes by fast since the last Fbody,,,and things haven't gotten cheaper,,,thats for sure.

Now we are moving up on 2010 and for most cars 30 G's is chump change,,,you'll have to spend 40 G's to get anything worth having.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

^ not all that true. my previous car was a mazda mx6. they were made from 93 to 97 and the V6 cost $25k the first couple years and then $30k. It only weighs 2500 pounds but only had 165 horsepower, 160 torque. It came with leather and all standard but our cars do to and our cars are a hell of a lot nicer imo.

I also might like the looks of the challenger more than the camaro's since it really looks like an old car. Haven't actually seen a camaro concept in person though. But the camaro is going to have a very respectable suspension (even to europeans) and is going to be a hell of a lot faster. According to motor trend's interview of some guy in charge of it, on the track the gt500s won't stand a chance as well as the callenger and 350zs (or 370 or whatever they might call the new one) and others.

EDIT: Oh, and the V6 will have 300 horsepower, and i think 295 torque which will be a bit embarrassing for Ford and their Mustang GT.
    Last edited by Speed Psychosis; 08-11-2008 at 05:07 AM.

Eeeh,,,,you're comparing a foreign car to an american car,,,not quite apples to oranges.
    But it still further exemplifies my point. You are talking about a low performance 6 cyl car that cost 25 grand back in the mid 90's????

And people are complaining about todays performance cars costing too much???? Hmmmm,,,,I fail to see the problem.

Our 4th gens,,,as I said especially the SS and WS6 models topped 30 grand and that was nearly 10 years ago for most of them,,,and now people are complaining about 40 grand???
    Nothing is going to get cheaper.

As far as performance numbers are concerned,,,that still remains to be seen, since of course the new camaro hasn't hit the streets yet,,,,it may or may not be faster than chryslers challengers or SRT8's etc.....but I am willing to bet the price isn't going to blow chrysler out of the water though which is why this discussion started.
    For a top of the line performance model to compete with chrysler and ford you are probably going to spend similar money. Thats my whole point. None of it is going to be cheap anymore.

2008 Caliber SRT 4
    1998 Z28/ 1993 Talon awd

Why do alot of people call the Charger and Challanger over weight or pigs because it they weigh 4000+lbs?? Do you know how much a G8 weighs?? Do you know how much a new Camaro weighs.

G8 3900lbs to over 4000lbs loaded. New Camaro RS V6 3700+lbs, V8 3900+lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    Why do alot of people call the Charger and Challanger over weight or pigs because it they weigh 4000+lbs?? Do you know how much a G8 weighs?? Do you know how much a new Camaro weighs.

G8 3900lbs to over 4000lbs loaded. New Camaro RS V6 3700+lbs, V8 3900+lbs.
    You are right. I'm not sure where those statements came from either.

Shucks even our 4th gens are no feather weights. My SS vert comes in at 3,620 without anyone in it,,,,and my SS T-top weighs 3,550 without anyone in it either.
    Those aren't exactly lightweights either.

Hell 4,000 lbs, aint nothin' anyway,,,my SS chevelle tips the scales at 4,108 lbs. My 56 Nomad,,,,well I won't even go there
    Anything from 3,400 lbs. on up is pretty typical of a street car.

Edit: I think it's just some new competition from something not GM for the F-body crowd here and everyone has their panties in a twist,,,lol.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 08-11-2008 at 12:58 PM.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Psychosis View Post
    ^ not all that true. my previous car was a mazda mx6. they were made from 93 to 97 and the V6 cost $25k the first couple years and then $30k. It only weighs 2500 pounds but only had 165 horsepower, 160 torque. It came with leather and all standard but our cars do to and our cars are a hell of a lot nicer imo.

I also might like the looks of the challenger more than the camaro's since it really looks like an old car. Haven't actually seen a camaro concept in person though. But the camaro is going to have a very respectable suspension (even to europeans) and is going to be a hell of a lot faster. According to motor trend's interview of some guy in charge of it, on the track the gt500s won't stand a chance as well as the callenger and 350zs (or 370 or whatever they might call the new one) and others.

EDIT: Oh, and the V6 will have 300 horsepower, and i think 295 torque which will be a bit embarrassing for Ford and their Mustang GT.

hell my 95 Buick Lesabre was 28k new.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

So far,

So far it's iffie, iffie. It has the same power as the SRT8 and the same price. I have a friend that works at a Dodge D.S. and has told me that they order them one at a time here and so far have sold TWO. He did tell me that some of the issues are the transmission holding gears and that the thing is just really heavy. Over 4000 lbs. The other fallback was that it only comes with an automatic. WHAT was Dodge thinking?????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information