Blue
    2000 Camaro SS Convertibl

Warranty good if bankrupt?

I'm cosidering buying a new Cobalt SS, but does anyone know if GM/s warranty on their new car will be worth jack sh*t if they go bankrupt? I'd love to but American as my dad worked in Flint truck and bus for 40 years, but I can't afford to shell out 20K on something without a warranty.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Great question! Bump for this one.....

Candy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

If the company goes under... the warranty won't be worth the paper it's written on because there's no one to honor the warranty...

2000 Camaro SS, M6, Edelbrock LT's, Eibach Pro-Kit, Edelbrock Adjustable Coil-Overs
    1986 Camaro Iroc LS1 Swap In Progress

Blue Magic...
    Like Pepsi It's A Brand Name...

rice..a growing epidemic PAT-LS101's Avatar

blue
    2002 camaro z28 a4

if they cant honor a warranty whats going to happen to parts availibilty?!?!

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by PAT-LS101 View Post
    if they cant honor a warranty whats going to happen to parts availibilty?!?!
    People seriously, What happened when oldsmobile stopped making cars? You all know the answer....

Candy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

Of course parts availability would be scarce because only the aftermarket would exist or stores like kragen, napa, o'reilys, etc... or salvage....

None

No way Dude... bummer it will be!

I am scared of the whole deal!
    I find it hard to believe any of the big 3 will go down.

I am American at heart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NBM
    99 TA

If GM files chapter 11 it will still operate as a company. It will continue to sell cars, and all warranties will still be in effect. The only people who will get fucked over is the shareholders and any of their creditors.

GM will not go away, nor will your warranty....

Impounded
    2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLs1 View Post
    If GM files chapter 11 it will still operate as a company. It will continue to sell cars, and all warranties will still be in effect. The only people who will get fucked over is the shareholders and any of their creditors.

GM will not go away, nor will your warranty....
    if GM files a chapter 11 my dad's '69 camaro Z28 will have as much a warranty as a 2009 camaro ss

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by midnightnavyz28 View Post
    if GM files a chapter 11 my dad's '69 camaro Z28 will have as much a warranty as a 2009 camaro ss
    well a 2009 camaro wouldn't have warranty anyway because it doesn't (nor will it) exist. But that is besides the point.

If GM goes chapter 11, they will not be out of business, they are filing for bankruptcy and "restructuring". They will continue to sell and service cars, and they would not do that without offering a warranty.

Do you think GM wants to just go away and be done with? If they cancelled everyones warranty, they would be fucked - no one would ever buy another GM product ever again and they would go tits up and have zero chance of building themselves up again. They dont want that.

When GM shit-canned olds, they continued to offer warranty on the existing products that were out there and parts are still made and available to this day.

I work for GM and I am not scared of losing my job - but if i did.... oh well.

People are walking around like it is the end of the world and GM is just going to disappear. That would be like microsoft just disappearing one day.... sorry but its not going to happen.

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Quote Originally Posted by knoll5150 View Post
    I'm cosidering buying a new Cobalt SS, but does anyone know if GM/s warranty on their new car will be worth jack sh*t if they go bankrupt? I'd love to but American as my dad worked in Flint truck and bus for 40 years, but I can't afford to shell out 20K on something without a warranty.
    Looked at a mazda speed 3? Better looking and alot better performance and hey it's not a "caviler" with crappy interior. But your warranty will be fine if you did.

None

well a 2009 camaro wouldn't have warranty anyway because it doesn't (nor will it) exist. But that is besides the point.

If GM goes chapter 11, they will not be out of business, they are filing for bankruptcy and "restructuring". They will continue to sell and service cars, and they would not do that without offering a warranty.

Do you think GM wants to just go away and be done with? If they cancelled everyones warranty, they would be fucked - no one would ever buy another GM product ever again and they would go tits up and have zero chance of building themselves up again. They dont want that.

When GM shit-canned olds, they continued to offer warranty on the existing products that were out there and parts are still made and available to this day.

People are walking around like it is the end of the world and GM is just going to disappear. That would be like microsoft just disappearing one day.... sorry but its not going to happen.

GM or any of the big 3 are going nowwhere fast... Goverment, Good or bad will not let that happen! NO way!

GM and Ford are safe forsure...

Big Bus and Goverment! Hand in Hand!

Blue
    2000 Camaro SS Convertibl

GM may never "go away", but they could still file for a type of bankruptcy (not sure what #), and exist, kind of what has happened to Delphi a few years back. But when Delphi filed bankruptcy all the union contracts went through the window, and the workers went from making $30+
    /hr down to about $14/hr. With many cuts in benefits. Even if the Government gives the auto companies this loan
    and things stay the same for now...what happens a year from now whhen GM continues to lose cash like a drunken sailor, and there back to the government again looking for money? Although the credit debacle has been the final straw in this mess, GM execs seem to fail to mention that GM has been losing money each year for nearly half a decade. Their oversees operations and previous loads of cash they had sitting around where the only reasons they lasted this long from trouble. Although auto execs and Unions(although Unions have made serious concessions in the past) share blame for alot of this...the biggest problem is our politicians failing to inact decent trade policies and enforcing the ones we have with Asia. Free trade with corrupt third world countries (i.e Mexico) and communist countries (i.e. Vietnam and China) has led to our race to the bottom. Free trade only works if you do it with a non-corrupt governments that actually has decent human rights for their workers (Japan, Europe).
    Just wait till China starts dumping their cars in our market that will retail for $7,000 here. You can kiss the Big Three AND the Honda and Toyota plants here goodbye. GM may exist in name, but all jobs will be sent to Asia, just like RCA and Zenith did in the early '70's t=with their TV/Stereo plants.

That being said, I'd never buy a Mazda3. I live in Michigan, and buying that car would be the equivilant of going to the middle SanFransisco and running around with a "I love George Bush" t-shirt. Besides the Cobalt SS outperformened the Mazda3 (not just in performance, but the overall car) as well as all the other ricers, in a recent Motor Trend magazine comparing the cars head to head.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Kyle's right, whether they get bailed out or not, (which I doubt will happen now that Obama is in charge) the fed will make sure everything is accounted for in the end. Personally I wouldn't worry, I think GM can only get stronger now, after bankruptcy union contracts will be void, that will significantly drop production costs. Today it costs GM more in labor than in steel for every car they make thanks to the damned unions. Without that burden they will get stronger. The imports aren't doing well either, its not like GM is losing any more market share. Also, remember Datsun? They practically failed and came back strong as Nissan. Recovery is very possible people, anything can happen.
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

just think the INSURANCE companys can NOT let thathappen as well you can see a car a few yrs old and no parts for a minor ( 2 - 5 ) thousand dollar accident on a 40 thousand truck and told sorry no parts and then the Insurance company would have to total out your truck or car THEY WILL NEVER GO AWAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

Chapter 11 would reduce debt and restructure the company.

The warranty issue could go either way. I wouldn't bank on it being available. But parts would still be manufactured after the bankruptcy.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by adam3566 View Post
    Looked at a mazda speed 3? Better looking and alot better performance and hey it's not a "caviler" with crappy interior. But your warranty will be fine if you did.
    Better looking? Thats objective, personally I find the new SS Turbo coupe to be a much better looking car, especially with the new for '08 wheels.

A lot better performance?? Once again, no. Its 260HP vs 263HP, the Cobalt is faster in both 0-60 and 1/4 mile, and the Cobalt gets 4MPG better in both city and highway. Not only that, but the Cobalt his its peak torque at only 2,000RPM, as opposed to the Mazda, which like every other japanese engine, has absolutely nothing until over 3,000RPM.

And not only that, but the Cobalt is cheaper to buy, maintain, and mod as well, not to mention you can actually service it without pulling the motor. I honestly can't see why anyone would choose the Mazdaspeed 3.

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Better looking? Thats objective, personally I find the new SS Turbo coupe to be a much better looking car, especially with the new for '08 wheels.

A lot better performance?? Once again, no. Its 260HP vs 263HP, the Cobalt is faster in both 0-60 and 1/4 mile, and the Cobalt gets 4MPG better in both city and highway. Not only that, but the Cobalt his its peak torque at only 2,000RPM, as opposed to the Mazda, which like every other japanese engine, has absolutely nothing until over 3,000RPM.

And not only that, but the Cobalt is cheaper to buy, maintain, and mod as well, not to mention you can actually service it without pulling the motor. I honestly can't see why anyone would choose the Mazdaspeed 3.
    Well one thing I can ohenstly see is that the mazdaspeed 3 with actually be worth something in 5 years unlike the cobalt. The interior is still the crappy old gm material. I'm not expecting a rolls royce for interior, but let's face it when it comes to gm budget cars the interior is about as bland as they come. Almost every car magazine you read puts the mazdaspeed 3 one or two slots ahead of the cobalt. And for performance there almost dead even. Price exactly the same one you add on the same things you get with the mazdaspeed3 or even a little more.
    Last edited by adam3566; 12-10-2008 at 09:09 PM.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by adam3566 View Post
    Well one thing I can ohenstly see is that the mazdaspeed 3 with actually be worth something in 5 years unlike the cobalt. The interior is still the crappy old gm material. I'm not expecting a rolls royce for interior, but let's face it when it comes to gm budget cars the interior is about as bland as they come. Almost every car magazine you read puts the mazdaspeed 3 one or two slots ahead of the cobalt. And for performance there almost dead even. Price exactly the same one you add on the same things you get with the mazdaspeed3 or even a little more.
    Who says the Cobalt won't be worth anything?? The SS S/C's have been holding their value pretty well overall.

As for the interior, what the hell are you even talking about?? Have you even ever been in one?? Its not a damn Cavalier, and its not the same old "crappy" material like the old interiors were with the cheap shiny plastic. The material quality is on-par for the class, its very well assembled (no creaks and rattles) and it definitely looks nice. Its not quite as nice as the Mazdaspeed 3's, but its perfectly acceptable for a car in its price range and class.

Thread Information