View Poll Results: Usa or Germany? Who's vehicles are Safer at 150+mph?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • USA

10 23.26%
  • GERMANY

33 76.74%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

USA vs Germany

This is a discussion on USA vs Germany within the Domestics and Foreigns forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by eautocad Would you rather have a car that's safety was engineered around autobahn speeds? Or would you ...

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by eautocad View Post
    Would you rather have a car that's safety was engineered around autobahn speeds? Or would you rather have a car that was engineered around USA interstate speeds?

In this scenario, your rich and money doesn't matter.. Pick one for your family to ride in going 150mph plus.
    My question is, why in the hell would you take your family for a ride going 150mph plus? You must not give two shits about them if you are going at that ridiculous rate of speed with them in the car.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

why not? safe car, traffic, road conditions and weather appropriate: no problem.

Black
    2000 Z-28

You're on crack or you don't care about your family if you're willing to drive 150+mph with your wife and kids in the car. The slightest mistake will result in everyone's death, you can count on that.
    Vote for Pedro.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

see, it's done here all the time. by people who are not on crack.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger68 View Post
    see, it's done here all the time. by people who are not on crack.
    That narrowed down the excuses then, didn't it?

150+ with my kids in the car? No way, absolutely zero chance of that outside of some catastrophic event.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    That narrowed down the excuses then, didn't it?

150+ with my kids in the car? No way, absolutely zero chance of that outside of some catastrophic event.
    just to make that clear again: when you drive at such speeds you have to make sure you take all the precautions necessary. most road and/or traffic conditions (also on the german autobahn) do not allow going that fast. and i really get mad a people going 120+ in thick traffic or rain.
    but when it's dry, no traffic and a straight freeway: with the right car it's pretty safe.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

just to make that clear again: when you drive at such speeds you have to make sure you take all the precautions necessary. most road and/or traffic conditions (also on the german autobahn) do not allow going that fast. and i really get mad a people going 120+ in thick traffic or rain.
    but when it's dry, no traffic and a straight freeway: with the right car it's pretty safe.
    I agree. Especially on the Autobahn, which was tailored made for higher speeds. Still, anyone who thinks ANY production road car is going to be significantly safer in a true head-on collision at 150mph is mistaken. Just the dynamics of force exerted from 150 to 0 in a few feet is more than enough to snap your neck. No matter how strong the car is, the human body has limits. Sort of like how you get a concussion. The blow itself may only do superficial damage, but the force causes your brain to bounce around which reeks all kinds of havoc. Such is the case with high speeds in car crashes. I personally watched a 105mph crash happen. No glancing blow either, it was dead on. It took over two hours to cut that dead guy out of the car. From the passenger area forward you could not identify any feature of that car other than the color. It was a four door and you could not even tell that.

I'm sure that the US has areas in Texas and the midwest where areas of interstate are probably better suited for high speed driving than those in Germany. While the ability of the cars to carry this out isn't disputed, the talent of the driver definitely is. A wrong move by an average driver at a lower speed can easily trump a good driver in a great car at a high speed. You just cannot make up the difference with a better car.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

i totally agree. and again, here in germany people are used to high speeds, slower traffic keeps right, etc. but still, there is no such thing as risk free driving. you gotta be careful.

artic white
    2001 WS6 Trans Am

If you think going 150 anywhere or in anything with your family in the car is safe you are a coplete idiot. The reason is there is way to many things that could go wrong that you have no control over. What the hell hapens if a deet jumps in front of you or someone cut you off. Never mind a blowout. and just because people do something that dosent make it a good idea.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by krusemj View Post
    If you think going 150 anywhere or in anything with your family in the car is safe you are a coplete idiot. The reason is there is way to many things that could go wrong that you have no control over. What the hell hapens if a deet jumps in front of you or someone cut you off. Never mind a blowout. and just because people do something that dosent make it a good idea.
    as much as it may surprise you, you're completely right in every aspect. high speed travel in cars is never safe. but if you hit a deer or some piece of lost payload at 70 or 80, you are screwed as well. the risk is not as high, but still.
    btw, i support the installation of a general speed limit on the autobahn!

but i don't think the german accident numbers are higher than the american. actually, it would be interesting to get them...

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

found it:

fatal traffic accidents per million citicens in 2004: 71 in germany, 145 in the u.s.a.

makes you think, huh? i actually wouldn't have expected that. you guys just drive crazy!

Black
    2000 Z-28

That's because we issue a license to any retard or illegal alien, not to mention I think we have approximately 300 million people and you guys only have 82 million according to a recent survey. https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../print/gm.html So we have more than twice the fatalities yet more than three times the population, so per capita you guys have a higher death rate than we do.

artic white
    2001 WS6 Trans Am

Yeah there is no doubt that it needs to be way more diffucult to get a license in this country. Just wondering is it any harder to get one in Germany. No matter what I still would never do 150 with my wife or litte boy in the car. That is double the limit of almost every limit in this country.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    That's because we issue a license to any retard or illegal alien, not to mention I think we have approximately 300 million people and you guys only have 82 million according to a recent survey. https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../print/gm.html So we have more than twice the fatalities yet more than three times the population, so per capita you guys have a higher death rate than we do.
    please learn to read: the numbers are per capita. so you have a total of 43500 killed, we have 5800. also, we have a higher population density.

Quote Originally Posted by krusemj View Post
    Yeah there is no doubt that it needs to be way more diffucult to get a license in this country. Just wondering is it any harder to get one in Germany. No matter what I still would never do 150 with my wife or litte boy in the car. That is double the limit of almost every limit in this country.
    about 10 times harder. but we have a lot of immigrants bringing their so called "licenses".

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

found it:

fatal traffic accidents per million citicens in 2004: 71 in germany, 145 in the u.s.a.

makes you think, huh? i actually wouldn't have expected that. you guys just drive crazy!
    That statistic may be true, but I'd like to see it compared to miles driven by each citizen. I'm certain that Americans drive many more miles than Germans.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    That statistic may be true, but I'd like to see it compared to miles driven by each citizen. I'm certain that Americans drive many more miles than Germans.
    actually, that came to my mind too. also, seatbelt discipline, fleets technical condition etc.
    but really, i would have expected it to be rather even.
    btw, germany is a bit above average in the european comparison.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

150 with my family in the car, i dont know how you could even go that fast because my girlfriend would kill me long before 130 if the baby was with us.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

talking about safety/family: guys, this afternoon i was with my girlfriend on the way to her parents. there was a sharp turn in the two lane road we were on. car on our left, 4 door sedan going 25 or 30. suddenly the rear passenger door flies open, and i see this 3 year old boy on the backseat, no belt or child seat. he must have played with the handle, women on his left reaches over and closes the door, grabs the boy. off they go. nobody in the car wore belts.
    i'm still beyond furious! that kid almost fell out of the car!

Black
    2000 Z-28

[QUOTE=hamburger68;1162540]please learn to read: the numbers are per capita. so you have a total of 43500 killed, we have 5800. also, we have a higher population density.

I'll learn how to read when you learn to be responsible and practice good sound judgement. Clearly, you severly lack both if you're willing to endanger your family in such a wreckless manner.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

[QUOTE=Johns00Z28;1164103]
    please learn to read: the numbers are per capita. so you have a total of 43500 killed, we have 5800. also, we have a higher population density.

I'll learn how to read when you learn to be responsible and practice good sound judgement. Clearly, you severly lack both if you're willing to endanger your family in such a wreckless manner.
    i'd like to close this argument, cos it's leading nowhere.

but if you read through my posts, you should see that i only said under certain, very carfully chosen circumstances it is not that risky. for example, driving on a side road in the mountains at normal speeds can be a lot more dangerous from my experience.
    honestly, i sincerely condemn any reckless or irresponsible driving.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information