View Poll Results: Usa or Germany? Who's vehicles are Safer at 150+mph?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • USA

10 23.26%
  • GERMANY

33 76.74%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USA vs Germany

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

USA vs Germany

Would you rather have a car that's safety was engineered around autobahn speeds? Or would you rather have a car that was engineered around USA interstate speeds?

In this scenario, your rich and money doesn't matter.. Pick one for your family to ride in going 150mph plus.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I'd pick a Volvo first. those things are tanks. Swedish tanks.

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

my uncle has a 2002 volvo yes they are tanks. Pretty quick for being so heavy and tankish

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I had a 79 malibu that i crashing into my dads truck, brake were out, crashed into a brick wall and into a ditch when i was drunk and passed out. Only a slightly bent bumper that was a tank.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

i'm german, got a canadian girlfriend and two american cars (the camaro and a 93 ford explorer). so i think i'm kinda neutral.
    well, the poll-results say it all: german cars are unbeaten in high speed performance and reliability. especially audi, mercedes, bmw and porsche. why do they perform so well? cos they're frakkin' expensive, that's why! better built quality, better materials, advanced technology costs money.
    porsche 911 goes for 100,000 euro here. all car, no bling. the technician who rebuilt the rear end of my z couldn't get over the poor quality of the gears' material. he's specialized in porsche.
    but crash tests are pretty much the same on both sides of the atlantic, and how often do you go that fast?

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

I'm surprised to see how many on an American forum chose the euro cars.
    Last edited by eautocad; 11-10-2007 at 05:55 PM.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I'd buy a BMW before a Mercedes, they hold their value better usually.

Quote Originally Posted by eautocad View Post
    I'm surprised to see how many on an American forum chose the euro cars.
    well nobody is fooling themselfs, if you wanna go 150+mph and you have no budget, going with the euro car is no question b/c there made with better with better technology.

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    I'd buy a BMW before a Mercedes, they hold their value better usually.
    agreed, plus i think there sportier and they look better!

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Not really, if I had no budget i would get a vette, and build the shit outta it, if you have no budget, then get american, chevy has one of the best aftermarket selection in the world. BMWs and Mercedes you need custom parts and kits to build those, chevy has soo many more options. Also i would get a porche, mercedes, all too heavy, BMWs other than the m3, all the ones capable of making insane power also weigh 4500lbs.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    Not really, if I had no budget i would get a vette, and build the shit outta it, if you have no budget, then get american, chevy has one of the best aftermarket selection in the world. BMWs and Mercedes you need custom parts and kits to build those, chevy has soo many more options. Also i would get a porche, mercedes, all too heavy, BMWs other than the m3, all the ones capable of making insane power also weigh 4500lbs.
    with american cars you definitely get more bang for the buck.(why i drive one.) i love the aftermarket prices for parts, but the quality is just not so great compared to german or japanese.
    for handling, safety and reliability at high speeds + built quality i'd have to say german. bmw, audi and merc are built to be constantly driven at 120 mph or more. the corvette is the only u.s. car that plays in that league.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

What about the viper? Gt500, may not run the best 1/4mile but with just a kenne bell S/C on those can make over 700rwhp with everything else stock, also if you have no end to your bank account and are building a car, then you are replace suspension, rear end, tranny, engine with high end parts so they can take anything. The new vette is making more hp than any of those car companies except for the SLR McClaren with its 660hp but it also weighs more than the vette the vette is 650hp 10hp away with about a 400lbs weight advantage.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

with enough money, you can build anything! the original question was about safety, and i think he meant basically off the shelf cars.

WHITE
    2000 Z28 M6

my 2 cents if you can afford an expensive car you can afford the maintenance for reliability, as far as saftey if a F-650 could go 150mph+ i would be driving it on the autobaun and wipe the porsches off my bumper

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Toes View Post
    my 2 cents if you can afford an expensive car you can afford the maintenance for reliability, as far as saftey if a F-650 could go 150mph+ i would be driving it on the autobaun and wipe the porsches off my bumper
    sounds reasonable, go get 'em tiger!

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

I'd buy American and improve on it. While the MB's, etc., are better straight from the factory, they are also becoming the status quo. I want something different. An American car appeals to me because I like to buy American.

The recent MB commercials are really obnoxious. Wipers that perform at Autobahn speeds? Give me a friggin' break!!! If it's raining, your dumb ass shouldn't be going 150+.......period.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    I'd buy American and improve on it. While the MB's, etc., are better straight from the factory, they are also becoming the status quo. I want something different. An American car appeals to me because I like to buy American.

The recent MB commercials are really obnoxious. Wipers that perform at Autobahn speeds? Give me a friggin' break!!! If it's raining, your dumb ass shouldn't be going 150+.......period.
    prolly not 150, but it's nice to have working wipers at 100. and lots of people go 120+ here even in rain.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Yeah, lol i dont my fast cars in the rain, except once i went 140 or something in the supra when it was raining.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Where's the neither option. At 150 + your chances in either are about the same slim to none, one may be .08 the other .18 (not actual statistics BTW). Few cars are designed to withstand accidents at that MPH and actually stay intact, Enzo's are one that comes to mind. But Also it will depend on the type of car. Cobalt vs a 600 Benz benz all the way however Cadillac CTS vs a comparable benz should be equal. If you impact something solid at 150 you are dead in either, start rolling at 150 you are dead in either. Stability is different altogether but same formula still holds a Vette will hold better than a beetle an AMg better than a lesser American.
    Last edited by slims00ls1z28; 11-23-2007 at 10:48 AM.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

... people in mercs and audis have survived crashes at 150+ (happens all the time here). in guard rail billard, flipping over / rolling you have a chance. run into something solid (slow car / truck) and it's over.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information