Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saturn's Sky and...Solstice?

This is a discussion on Saturn's Sky and...Solstice? within the Domestics and Foreigns forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; or is it Ion? Either way, the turbo charged ones, are these actually fairly decent cars? I mean, they are ...

Post Saturn's Sky and...Solstice?

or is it Ion?

Either way, the turbo charged ones, are these actually fairly decent cars? I mean, they are rear wheeled driven and light as hell.

I am wondering if they suffer from the 350z or s2000 syndrome. Meaning, modifying themis like modifying a modified car.
    99 T/A M6
    LS6 intake, Hooker Coated Long Tubes, Y-pipe w/1 carsound cat, Hooker Catback, MTi Clear Lid, FRA w/ Holley Power Shot, ASP crank pulley, 1.8 RRs, 3.73s w/TA girdle & Eaton Differential, Granatelli SFCs, Pro 5.0 Shifter, LS6 Clutch, Diablo, TByrnes Maf Ends (in winter), All the Free Mods

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    or is it Ion?

Either way, the turbo charged ones, are these actually fairly decent cars? I mean, they are rear wheeled driven and light as hell.

I am wondering if they suffer from the 350z or s2000 syndrome. Meaning, modifying themis like modifying a modified car.
    yes i like them, but i hope you are a small guy because they interior is cramped. I'm 6'2 and i didn't fit in the solstice at all. I had the seat all the way back and could operate the pedals comfortably.

As far as modding - i don't know. But most any turbo car is easy to mod and crank up boost. Or go another route as i know a LS2 fits in there!

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I've hear they have a special type of fuel injection with the turbo and are harder to turn the boost up. I didn't look into it a lot. I think they are neat cars. I'm sure they can be cranked up a lot easier then the 350Z's & S2000's.

Yeah they call it "direct injection." How much more direct is it?

The pontiac doesnt look that bad and its cheap. I am surprised we dont see more of these modded, hence the previous question.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Yeah they call it "direct injection." How much more direct is it?

The pontiac doesnt look that bad and its cheap. I am surprised we dont see more of these modded, hence the previous question.
    I looked around for stuff a couple of months ago, but there was no info on modding them. There might be now.

Theres gotta be. Or at least some info that dictates why they ARENT being modded.

Trans Am for life baby SexyTransAm's Avatar

95-black & 80-blue
    95 Trans Am and 80 TA

i love em i saw a Solstice with a built LS7 in it and i blew a nut

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

From what I understood the direct injection plays a role in that. I guess it's not the easiest thing to work with.

But what does direct injection mean? Isnt our injection system "direct?"

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

http://www.gm.com/company/gm_exp_liv...lv04_03_en.pdf

Here's a link to some info about the motor. I remember reading on another forum about turning the boost up but you need to do something with the injectors (probably computer tunning) because they don't automatically inject more fuel for more boost or something.

The direct injection puts the fuel injectors right into the combustion chambers and not the intake.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

But what does direct injection mean? Isnt our injection system "direct?"
    The fuel injector is actually mounted in the head, as opposed to being in the end of the intake manifold runner, as in our cars.

The result is better fuel economy, more power, and better fuel atomization and distribution.

Wooooowwwww. Hmm, any drawbacks to this type of injection? Seems that if these injectors have to be reprogrammed, that its just limited to the these model cars. In other words, I cant see how a direct injection setup couldnt automatically inject more fuel when the computer sense more air...

Black
    2002 Firehawk Trans Am

I almost bought a Sky Redline Turbo 19psi of boost factory but I got my hawk. Test drove the sky but didnt like the fact of only 2 seats. For the cross fire body style just wasnt for me. But there is a place that does an LS1 swap!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 02Hawk View Post
    I almost bought a Sky Redline Turbo 19psi of boost factory but I got my hawk. Test drove the sky but didnt like the fact of only 2 seats. For the cross fire body style just wasnt for me. But there is a place that does an LS1 swap!
    Mallet does LS swaps for Solstices and Skys. I've seen them in person, they shoehorned an LS7 with a T56 into a Solstice. Can't even imagine how fast that is lol. All the different packages are listed on their website, everything from S/C add onds to the LS2 and LS7.

White & Burgundy
    94 Miata/87 442

Get a Miata instead.

I have a 94R (SCCA factory showroom car). There are tons of mods that can be done easily. Flyin Miata and Bell (BEGI) are among some of the names that provide turbo and supercharger systems. You can easily make high 200Hp numbers that are lighter than a Solstice/Sky.

I ran a non-GXP Solstice with my Miata, he took me off the line, but the road had a curve to the left and I never saw him again after we got into the turn.

A turbo-Miata will sneak up on a lot of unsuspecting folks. I have had/ridden in plenty of muscle cars, and every time I think I want to go back I break out the Miata and drive the wheels off it.

The Sky/Solstice look good, but way too hard to tear into.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

To bad the miata's are so ugly. The interior is also way more cramped inside.

White & Burgundy
    94 Miata/87 442

If you think the Miata is cramped, get in a solstice or sky. The beltline is so how you can't even rest your arm on the window/door. You are burried down in the belly.

I looked at a Solstice GXP. I like the looks of the Sky better. But GM is insane, the dealers are decking these cars out with air for $950????.....give me a better suspesion or bigger turbo. Not air...in a convertible.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I didn't get to drive the Sky or Solstice yet, but will be soon. I sat in a Solstice this winter and it felt like it had more room than the Miata's have. I did drive a few Miata's already and couldn't stand it.

In FL, we need AIR...or A/C.

I didnt consider a Miata cuz it doesnt havet his much power out of the box. If I wanted to do custom work, then Id just buy any car and get to work.

I asked curious about these cars cuz with the power they already make, maybe you can get more out of them with bolt ons.

Arctic White Hardtop
    '98 Formula M6

A saturn sky with an ls7 would lead to sticky underpants.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information