opinions on swap??? Cross-breading

This is a discussion on opinions on swap??? Cross-breading within the Domestics and Foreigns forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Hey guys as most of you know on here I drag racea Nissan 240sx with a built skyline rb25det!!! Well ...

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

opinions on swap??? Cross-breading

Hey guys as most of you know on here I drag racea Nissan 240sx with a built skyline rb25det!!! Well I have had an offer on my engine im thinking about taking so I am going to be in need of a new motor. Currently the Rb with the tranny weighs around 880+lbs and Im putting out close to 400WHP and my car total weight is around 2900lbs. Current best E:T is 7.80@ 91 in the 1/8th

Im wanna go ls1, ls3 or ls6 with 6 speed combo! Motor and tranny from what I have seen should be around 400-450lbs total. That should get me close to 2500lbs total car weight.

I like the Ls3 500Hp motor and with this power plant should get me in the 6's in the 1/8th. But im also on a budget. This motor im not finding less than $10grand and thats my budget so that gives me no room to work.

But I have found a Corvette rolling chassis on ebay, Basically everything I need to do the swap with the Ls1 for $6500 and that would give me alot more funds to play with then aventually upgrade the motor for more power.

What is your guys opinions about these motor? Which one will be the best for my swap?

My goal is low 7's to mid 6's in the 1/8 mile.

I know most of you don't like cross-breading but im building a drag car!!

S13 = Light weight and a good handling car
    Chevy = The best most reliable power plant I can build
    Goal = Im putting the two best combo's together to make a fast reliable car on a small budget.

Thanks for any info guys!!!

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

since no one else wants to reply.

I see nothing wrong with "cross breeding" -- The LS1 is an excellent engine. I can see why people want to put it in their cars.

Good luck and keep us updated.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

I say do it. It will add to the list of LS swaps. For a budget swap the LQ9 (denali and escalade iron 6.0) would be the best. Weight wise it is less than 100 lbs difference. You can probably find a pullout for a grand or less. Add cheap L92 heads, L76 intake, mild cam and make 500 hp easy and cheaper than you can find an LS1 2 or 3 crate motor.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

buy a wrecked m6 ls1 car, then tranplant the motor and trans. You can then sell all off the leftover parts from the wrecked ls1 car on here.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    I say do it. It will add to the list of LS swaps. For a budget swap the LQ9 (denali and escalade iron 6.0) would be the best. Weight wise it is less than 100 lbs difference. You can probably find a pullout for a grand or less. Add cheap L92 heads, L76 intake, mild cam and make 500 hp easy and cheaper than you can find an LS1 2 or 3 crate motor.
    I would like to stay all aluminum!! But as a budget build Iron block might be an option.

That 6.0 motor sounds like potential. What are the internals good for? Later down the road this will be a boosted application. Whether it be supercharger or turbo?? Don't know yet but either way all options are open right now. Thanks for the comments guys Keep them coming. I would like to know all of my options.

Black
    2000 S-10 Blazer

It's not quite a crossbreed But I have a s-10 blazer with a lt1 M6 and I want to go LQ9 with L92 Heads so I know what you are going through. The gen lll chevy small block are powerful and reliable and thats y we want them
    Hi. My name is Dan and I'm a RWHP addict.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Yup!!! Very reliable and very powerful!! Not looking like im going to get the engine in for this summer race season so im sticking with my RB for this race season until I can get my parts and money together to build it. Its gonna be 1 nice piece of machinery when done!!

Good luck on the Blazer :}

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper101 View Post
    I would like to stay all aluminum!! But as a budget build Iron block might be an option.

That 6.0 motor sounds like potential. What are the internals good for? Later down the road this will be a boosted application. Whether it be supercharger or turbo?? Don't know yet but either way all options are open right now. Thanks for the comments guys Keep them coming. I would like to know all of my options.
    Internals should hold just as much as an LS1. Plus its easier/cheaper to go big in cubic inches as with the iron block the option of boring it out are there. Not so much with the aluiminum motors. Resleving etc.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Ya the motor is def there to make some power.

What my main concern was is this will be a wheel standing car and I don't won't the extra weight banging my front end on the ground and tearing alot of things up. Im not sure how much my front end can handle. SO thats why I was looking into a lighter weight engine. The HP is there in the cast iron block, But Im thinking smaller C.I and turbo would get me anything I need. I already pull the front wheels with my RB. Not much, but enough to know with less weight and more power things are bound to get crazy!!

Its a 2900lb car and will have alot of power! Don't won't to end up like this guy:

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Well guys Im looking for complete engines with a 6 speed tranny! I need wiring harness ECU and everything to go with it. If you know anyone selling LMK. Thanks

turquoise
    1995 Firebird

the motor is pretty heavy but you can crank so much power out of it 2JZ-GTE cant go wrong with that.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

The 2JZ is as heavy as my current Rb25det and I can crank out about the same power. But these motors are so expensive to build. I have put 15k in my rb already.

Thread Information