White
    1999 Trans Am 30th conv

New G8 any thoughts???

Just saw the new G8 GT's at Pines Pontiac. They are sleepers. Very quiet and they look like a mid size sedan. 361 hp. 5.3 0-60. Stock. 31K MSRP. Plus mark up because they are being sold as 1 of 888. The label is on the glove compartment. Any thoughts on these? I can't figure out what Pontiac is really trying to do. Are they trying to compete with BMW or Lexus???? Why all of these GT's (G6,G8...) and no Firebird? They seem to be pushing performance but not really putting together a performance look.

White
    1999 Trans Am 30th conv

opps just saw the other thread. Ok, then there's my comment.

Shanghai Mica
    2001 HSV SenatorSignature

I think the problem lies with a misconception that the G8 is a sports-car. It is primarily a family 4-door, with a very sweet rear wheel drive, V8 drivetrain. Take a look at the HSV website www.hsv.com.au for an insight into the ideology.

As far assportscars go, the GM world (US) has the Corvette and soon, the Camaro. You have to think of the G8 as a sporty family car - a role that it fills very well. How many cars that are sold in the US at present can fulfill what the G8 achieves? Every time I've been there, I've encountered heaps of FWD puss-boxes, unless you specifically ask for a RWD car, which don't have the dynamics and powertrain options that the G8 and most of the Australian product have.

Besides, you people pay around $31k + for that over there, our equivalent car here is around $55k, or USD$50k.

Cheers,

Macca

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Love it. If I didn't already have a GTO and were not planning on getting the new Camaro and G8 "Ute" I would definately have one. If it were out when I bought my GTO I might have gotten it instead honestly.

Impulse Blue
    2005 VZ SS Ute

Pontiac G8 GT is the equivalent to the HSV GTS in this country, the hole idea of HSV hails back to the 80's when we had what was called group C then group A category motor racing. to participate in group C you had to sell 500 exact road going replicas of the race cars then 2000 of the car in silouette (spelling), with group A it was the same as C but you had engine classes to, Long story short that all died in 92 and the current V8 series we have the cars bear no resemblance to the road cars. thats HSV in a nutshell road going race cars.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Competition.............

Ofcourse as always... they are competing..... Looked at all the makes before purchasing my G8.

The G8 was a thrill to drive after driving TAs all these years.

The G8 GXP coming out this fall will be a sure knocker. There are no markups at my dealership. The vehicle has been selling like Flap Jacks... read my review in the other post. The G8 has more positive aspects compared to the minor negative ones.

Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by 10-8-TA View Post
    Just saw the new G8 GT's at Pines Pontiac. They are sleepers. Very quiet and they look like a mid size sedan. 361 hp. 5.3 0-60. Stock. 31K MSRP. Plus mark up because they are being sold as 1 of 888. The label is on the glove compartment. Any thoughts on these? I can't figure out what Pontiac is really trying to do. Are they trying to compete with BMW or Lexus???? Why all of these GT's (G6,G8...) and no Firebird? They seem to be pushing performance but not really putting together a performance look.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

They are awesome. I'm thinking about buying one as a DD...

Thread Information