Thread: LS1 powered 944

Alpine White
    '88 951

LS1 powered 944

Hello, V8 folks.. I've joined your site to learn about the top dog LS series motor. I'm planning an LS V8 transformation into a Porsche 944 turbo. Are there any other import swap people in here? also I need a good source for an '01-'02 half cut. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Vince..

TAN
    PORSCHE

i have an 87 944 NA that i installed an LS1 into. I had to put a turbo tranny in there with LSD to keep it pointed in one direction when accellerating. Links to my car;
    ok...it wont let me post links to other sites. reply with an email addy and i can point you to the main page for renegadehybrids. They have a write up on their press page about my 944.

Black
    83 Porsche 944

944 V8

What started as a track car has evolved into a monster. I am just putting the finishing touches on my '948'. I will be doing many DE and open track time days. Hey LAPEX, you're in Ohio? I grew up there. Have you taken your car to Nelson's Ledges or Mid-Ohio yet?

I have to reroute brake lines, fuel lines and create an exhaust.

LAPEX, for your exhaust what did you do? True duels all the way to the back? Or wishbone it down the center tunnel? One last question, what type of mufflers are you running?

later

Roy

TAN
    PORSCHE

i just finished my car in March and have not had it on Mid-Ohio or Nelson yet ( i have driven both, btw, but not in my converted 944) . I DID run the One Lap or Cannonball Run this year in it and got to run Autobahn, Mid-America, Road America and Roebling among others. I have 3" wishboned to run down the torque tube into a flowmaster and single 3" exhaust. Car has a REALLY cool sound. If you go to the renegadehybridsDOTcom, there is a section on there where you can see it and hear at 150 mph in the rain.

Black
    83 Porsche 944

Sounds good. What day and time were you guys planning on?

Black
    83 Porsche 944

Sounds Good

Sounds good to me. I'll probably be there for Friday's practice through the race. What day and time were you guys planning on meeting?

Black
    83 Porsche 944

Thanks for the info

Thats cool man. I've seen your car on the RH website. I should knock out a good deal of work this weekend. I'm going to the F1 indy race, but after that I have Mon and Tues to work on the car!

I'm already signed out for a Grattan event in August, so I got one month left to get her dialed in.

I'll post some pics soon.

TAN
    PORSCHE

i am going to meet a couple of other 944's with engine swaps in Indy this weekend, at IRP. You should drop by.

TAN
    PORSCHE

i am going to be there saturday during the morning and afternoon. we are going to park in the car show section. look for us.

Black
    83 Porsche 944

IRP or IMS

I just wanted to confirm, in your email you said IRP, thats that place with the drag strip and the short oval track right? So you won't be at the F1 race? No big deal, just wanted to be looking in the right place.

Later

Roy

TAN
    PORSCHE

IRP has the Buick Horsepower Nationals going on and there are a bunch of buick drag cars there. I am going because a person on the Porsche Hybrids Board has a 924s with a buick V-6 in it . We just wanted a few of us to meet. I will be there in the morning and most of the afternoon. I hadnt thought about going to the F1 race, but that might be interesting.

Black
    83 Porsche 944

Hey Lapex,
    How is it going? Remember we met at the Buick Nationals a couple summers ago? Anyways, I've been running my LS1 944 at the track, slowing tweaking everything. My biggest issue is braking power. Have you thought about installing a hydroboost, or an aftermarket race pedal/mc set up? Just curious.
    Thanks,
    Roy

TAN
    PORSCHE

I do remember you. HOWS IT GOIN? Funny you should ask the question. I installed an electrically boosted master cylinder and had good brakes, but am replacing it with a manual system from Wilwood. Still tweaking it, but i should have DECENT manual brakes with racing pads. The few times i have driven it, i have had good stopping power.

Black
    83 Porsche 944

electric boosted brakes

Yeah, I'm in the process of installing the electric boosted brake system from ABSPower. I should be done by the weekend, so I can take it to Grattan on Saturday. The weekend following that, I'm going to Nelson's Ledges. I hope the new brake system gives me better stopping power. Before, I was just running the original brake system, less the booster, it just wasn't good enough for track fun. I also had some fuel feed issues, so I'm upgrading the fuel pump with a Walpro 255lph pump.

Good to hear from you again.

Roy

Thread Information