Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    2000 Camaro SS # 5,876

Definition of a DSM...

Diamond-Star Motors (commonly abbreviated to DSM) was an automobile-manufacturing joint venture between the Chrysler Corporation and Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC). The name came from the parent companies' respective logos: three diamonds (Mitsubishi) and a pentastar (Chrysler). Diamond-Star Motors was officially renamed Mitsubishi Motor Manufacturing of America, Inc. (MMMA) in 1995, and since 2002 the plant's official title has been Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA) Manufacturing Division.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Star_Motors

RESEARCH HELPS ALOT!

Also... 3000GT,Stealth,Talon,Eclipse,Lasers... ALL DSM! just to clear out those dumbasses who were argueing on the last thread...

Red
    2000 Camaro SS # 5,876

No one has anything 2 say?? Just wondering..

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Nothing better than early 90's Chrysler quality and Mistubishi engineering.

WORST of both worlds, DSM was a failure completely.

Damn Wesman where were you in that other thread?

I cant believe it was closed, secondgearscratch fended off all the newbie trolls quite well. Only times it was getting out of hand was when the addresses were being exchanged.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Damn Wesman where were you in that other thread?

I cant believe it was closed, secondgearscratch fended off all the newbie trolls quite well. Only times it was getting out of hand was when the addresses were being exchanged.
    Yea, I didn't see that part.

I wasn't around to help out secondgearscratch unfortunately.

The poor guy was surrounded by import toting morons, most of them should have just been banned. Pretty obvious that they joined just to support 3000GTs, look at their usernames lol.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Hey now. I got a lick in. The walking crank bit. I was at work though and couldn't stay long.

Black
    1991 Stealth TT

Do you all eat paint or something?

From 3si.org

No, the 3S's are not DSM's. All DSM's were made in the DSM plant in Normal, Ill. All 3S's were assembeled in Mitsubishi 's Nagoya, Japan plant. From the DSM FAQ: DSM - Diamond Star Motors A joint effort by Mitsubishi (three diamonds) and the Chrysler Corporation (penta-star) to build some of the most incredible automobiles in the world. The (following) vehicles were produced, the Eagle Talon, Mitsubishi Eclipse, and Plymouth Laser. DSM cars (were all) assembled in Normal, Illinois.
    The 3000GT/Stealth was built in JAPAN. Japan /= America.

And the crankwalk thing, that was on the DSM turbo 4 cylinders, primarily the second generation turbo eclipse/talon motors. The 3000GT/Stealth does NOT have that motor. The 6g72 /= 4g63T.
    -Dan

Black
    Actually 2000SuperSportMaro, there's one flaw in your first post. The 3000GT and Dodge Stealth are actually not DSM's and I'll try to tell you why without coming off like a jerk. First, the wikipedia entry you posted states nothing about the 3000GT/Stealth. It states, in a direct quote "DSM can also refer to three of the vehicles produced by Diamond-Star Motors, the Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, and Plymouth Laser." The Diamond-Star production of those cars was a joint effort, drawing inspiration from prior Mitsubishi designs (Galant VR4: aka "father of all DSM's")

Secondly, the 3000GT and Stealth cars are based off the Starion/Conquest G54B platform whereas DSM's are based off of the Galant VR4 4G63 platform. All DSM's (Evo included) have the 4g63 motors, up until the recent generation of eclipses (2000 up i believe) where they started using the 6g72's. The 3/S has the 6g72 motor, it is its own completely separate platform in regards to DSM's, regardless of similar body stylings. Although, it is easy to confuse the two. Regardless, DSM and 3S are two entirely separate entities...DSM's being built in Normal, IL and 3S's being manufactured in Nagoya, Japan.

Diamond-Star motors was a miserable effort between the two companies to create cheap, quick cars that ultimately turned out to be flaming piles. Notorious for crankwalk in 2nd gens, among other quirks. Comparing DSM's to 3S's is like comparing a Firebird to a Fiero. Or a Camaro to a Monte Carlo. Blech.

Hope I didn't come off as too much of a jerk, just wanted to clear that up without it getting ridiculously out of hand like in the other thread. Just a few little known facts about those cars, I had one before i got my TA and researched the shit out of it

Black

bzzt wrong again... based off the G54B platform... not...

Thats almost as misinformed as calling it a DSM.

It replaced the Conquest/Starion in the line only by name. It was a totally new platform.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

damn this thread is getting gay

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

thanks for the kind words guys.

but now i have to uphold my e thug name to the trolls by saying......

shut the fuck up!

Black
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJJ View Post
    bzzt wrong again... based off the G54B platform... not...

Thats almost as misinformed as calling it a DSM.

It replaced the Conquest/Starion in the line only by name. It was a totally new platform.

Exactly, a totally new platform. It's just BASED off of the G54b, it isn't a direct extension of it.

-As for the rest of you guys, I'm wondering where you got all of your information from. Seems any true car enthusiast would look up the facts before shooting their mouths off like a uneducated hick. Typing in big bold letters and cursing a lot doesn't mean you're right, it just makes you look like an idiot. Definately a turn off.

Black

this is like saying the chevy silverado is based off the camaro.

The G54b has nothing to do with the 3s. Nothing, nada zip.

Prove it was based off the G54b this i got to see

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SpooledYa View Post
    Exactly, a totally new platform. It's just BASED off of the G54b, it isn't a direct extension of it.

-As for the rest of you guys, I'm wondering where you got all of your information from. Seems any true car enthusiast would look up the facts before shooting their mouths off like a uneducated hick. Typing in big bold letters and cursing a lot doesn't mean you're right, it just makes you look like an idiot. Definately a turn off.
    You are not one to be calling people out for being "hicks" or "idiots".

You are trolling LS1.com to brag about Mitsubishis. You are not one to be calling anyone else out

Black

its a free country to call people out... just back that chit up

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

DSM - Doesnt Stay Moving

Is this the thread about where a car is made and the location distiguishes about if its a true DSM or not? I forget the details and I am not reading the shit over, besides, I believe this thread is a branch off an old, closed one.

Anyway, when it was fresh, I brought this thread up to my friend whos got an EVO and he stated the same shit about some cars that are mitsus not necessarily being "DSMs."

Pewter
    2000 z28

first of all, there is no real explanation for the 3000gt and the stealth to not be "dsm" these are trolls quoting websites they belong to that are probably so fucking retarted you couldnt bear to read the tech sections. so it was made in 2 different places.... dsm isnt a body type like the fan boys so feverishly think, its a collaboration between auto makers. looking at it from that point of view, it stands to reason that a 3000 gt that looks similar to a Stealth, shares the same engine, transmission, suspension, drivetrain, and everything else would be a product of Diamond Star Motors. so i dont care if one was built in the usa and one in japan, until i hear it from Mitsubishi or Chrysler i still wont believe it or care. whats pathetic is this is the only argument the trolls have.
    so once again trolls.....

SHUT THE FUCK UP!

It isnt much of an argument really.

The way I see it, a discussion was introduced. Someone labels a car a DSM and another says it isnt. Now you got a discussion on a tangent. A basic "I am right, youre wrong" debate on semantics.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    It isnt much of an argument really.

The way I see it, a discussion was introduced. Someone labels a car a DSM and another says it isnt. Now you got a discussion on a tangent. A basic "I am right, youre wrong" debate on semantics.
    actually, these are the same trolls from the thread i was in that was closed. it WAS a debate until i get called a fucking retard, and then im not sure what the best course of action is to take. the point im trying to make is that i dont believe anything they say because they dont have the experience to back it up. looking up facts on hardly credible websites and posting them in a "discussion" only perpetuates an argument when their theories get blown to bits. then they start the ricer braggadoccio and that wont fly with me. i know what i know cuz i did it. there shouldnt be a debate on whether they are dsm or not. the point still remains that they are notoriously unreliable and of poor build quality. that argument wasnt even an argument....how can they debate fact? how can they debate something they have no experience with?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information