Black
    2000 Z28 M6

Concorde need brake help

my mother's 2003 chrysler concorde has recently had brake problems and i would like them set straight.

First, the car's brakes were horribly unresponsive and took the car to the local shop to have it repaired. Costed her $300 for the front rotors/pads. They put on "Wearever YH145263" rotors and tested to make sure the braking system was functioning O.k.

Within 2 months, she noticed a horrible squeeking as she drove the car and could not tell if it was from front or back of the car.

Took the car to a second shop, and the guy claimed the 1st shop put on the wrong rotors, she needed "Performance Rotors". So, he replaced all 4 of the rotors because he claimed the front brakes not working caused excessive wear on the back brakes.

SO, i would like to know if this is problem the braking system's problem, the front rotor's problem or if the 1st shop's rotors/pads were actually cheap quality and/or just plainly wrong rotors?

any insight?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    my mother's 2003 chrysler concorde has recently had brake problems and i would like them set straight.

First, the car's brakes were horribly unresponsive and took the car to the local shop to have it repaired. Costed her $300 for the front rotors/pads. They put on "Wearever YH145263" rotors and tested to make sure the braking system was functioning O.k.

Within 2 months, she noticed a horrible squeeking as she drove the car and could not tell if it was from front or back of the car.

Took the car to a second shop, and the guy claimed the 1st shop put on the wrong rotors, she needed "Performance Rotors". So, he replaced all 4 of the rotors because he claimed the front brakes not working caused excessive wear on the back brakes.

SO, i would like to know if this is problem the braking system's problem, the front rotor's problem or if the 1st shop's rotors/pads were actually cheap quality and/or just plainly wrong rotors?

any insight?
    Sounds like you need to take it to a shop that actually knows what they are doing. "Unresponsive" brakes are not caused by worn rotors or pads, unless the pads are extremely glazed over from high speed braking. Which is unlikely in a Chrysler Concorde.

As for the performance rotors, sounds like another misdiagnosis. Although Wearever brand rotors (the first ones you got) are cheap chinese rotors, they will not cause the brakes to be unresponsive. They are just cheap and will wear out more quickly than good quality rotors.

I will be able to help more if you describe what you mean by "unresponsive" brakes, that can mean a few different things. More details would be helpful.

Tan
    2002 GMC Yukon

Light squeal is typical with a metalic or semi-metalic pad on most rotors. So is a lack of proper bedding, or break in. If they were not bedded right, pulsing often follows from the pad melting on the rotor.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by NaviDyn View Post
    Light squeal is typical with a metalic or semi-metalic pad on most rotors. So is a lack of proper bedding, or break in. If they were not bedded right, pulsing often follows from the pad melting on the rotor.
    How does not bedding in pads cause runout or parallelism issues?? Not following you there.

If anything, not bedding in pads just makes them not grab as well as they should, because no pad material is depositied onto the rotors. As far as pads "melting" onto the rotors, not sure I'm following you there either.

Thread Information