Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Cobra's Wow!

This is a discussion on Cobra's Wow! within the Domestics and Foreigns forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I was just saying that you left the s/c out of the equation. your proposition : "370rwhp x .15% = ...

I was just saying that you left the s/c out of the equation. your proposition :
    "370rwhp x .15% = 425 HP from a 281 ci baby engine."
    is misleading unless you state the s/c is part of it

C6 H/C/N20

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    I was just saying that you left the s/c out of the equation. your proposition :
    "370rwhp x .15% = 425 HP from a 281 ci baby engine."
    is misleading unless you state the s/c is part of it
    Oh yea, absolutely. The Cobra motors make around 300-320 w/o the S/C but they have nowhere near the curve of the LS1's N/A.

true dat.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Blower or not....makes the power.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

run what you brought!

C6 H/C/N20

run what you brought!

That should be the first reply to ANY Cobra vs F-body post. Atleast we all have competition to enjoy.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

so jayplay, with the set up you have, how much could you squeeze out of it still. it sounds like you are pretty conservative with it...not that 700 hp is conservative.

ive heard horror stories about the kb twin screw....how it can make upwards of 900.

true?? school me please, im intersted.

C6 H/C/N20

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    so jayplay, with the set up you have, how much could you squeeze out of it still. it sounds like you are pretty conservative with it...not that 700 hp is conservative.

ive heard horror stories about the kb twin screw....how it can make upwards of 900.

true?? school me please, im intersted.
    I have 2 friends on Modularfords that run 25-26psi which is a lower pulley swap and reload seperate tune away and they run 704rwhp and 721rwhp. There are a few more but not sure of the numbers. Stock long blocks. Just the 2.8H blowers spun to 25 PSI. I am around 650-660 on pump gas and with 106 and 25psi will be around 710-730rwhp since I removed my KB inlet and ported it and rewelded it (common restriction above 800bhp). I also have a ported and polished lower intake where the blower sits.

Darksnake: "Finally hit on the right combo on my 2.8. Went to 3.5" upper with 6lb lower on completly stock motor/heads and we got 703 RWHP and 645 RWTQ!! This thing is going to be a monster with ported heads and cams!!"
    http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...d.php?t=352103

Another one. 721rwhp.
    http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f...whp-76289.html

The biggest problem is in the tune. All you need are a KB boost a pump, a fuel pump amplifier and 62LB injectors. Thats good for 700whp. Very easy actually. Good tune and there are zero problems. SOme guys run mail order tunes that are fine for N/A but not for FI. My car was tuned by Hermann from Horsepower by Hermann, one of the BEST tuners awarded by SCT themselves. I am able to run WOT all day with zero issues. My car is very conservative and I dont even have headers. Very fun car and easy to do. Removing the IRS was the biggest improvement though, saved 118lbs and made the car hook better and it feels downright violent in 2nd gear when it hooks. The 2.8's have made just over 1000fwhp recently and very common for 900fwhp but the tune and fuel octane are so important. WHen I had a ported eaton I thought it was fast with 540rwhp and Amazon doing the tuning, now its like that AND a 100 shot at any rpm. Traction is a huge issue and I sheared my trans input shaft into two peices. All in good fun.

I will have another LSX though, they are the best design for N/A and FI so far but Ford did a hell of a job with the Cobra, if they had only had a T/S (twin screw) blower from the factory. Wish GM would produce a Forged Engine option.

As soon as I win the lotto, its yours man. Bolt some slicks and launch at 5K and it will break a 9 at 140mph as long as you dont break anything.

One of the guys (Buster) just made 999 rwhp from a turbo on a totally stock long block. KB's take less power to spin than an eaton but a turbo is where its really at.
    http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f...7-a-89873.html

Here is my buddy Scott with a 302 stroker but we are at the same boost and he makes 675 but there was close to 20rwhp from the stroker on the dyno. He does not have the welded and ported inlet though worth a few ponies, sometimes as much as 20rwhp.
    http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f...ers-83726.html
    Last edited by JayplaySS2; 08-26-2007 at 03:02 PM.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by JayplaySS2 View Post
    I have 2 friends on Modularfords that run 25-26psi which is a lower pulley swap and reload seperate tune away and they run 704rwhp and 726rwhp. There are a few more but not sure of the numbers. Stock long blocks. Just the 2.8H blowers spun to 25 PSI. I am around 650-660 on pump gas and with 106 and 25psi will be around 710-730rwhp since I removed my KB inlet and ported it and rewelded it (common restriction above 800bhp). I also have a ported and polished lower intake where the blower sits.

The biggest problem is in the tune. All you need are a KB boost a pump, a fuel pump amplifier and 62LB injectors. Thats good for 700whp. Very easy actually. Good tune and there are zero problems. SOme guys run mail order tunes that are fine for N/A but not for FI. My car was tuned by Hermann from Horsepower by Hermann, one of the BEST tuners awarded by SCT themselves. I am able to run WOT all day with zero issues. My car is very conservative and I dont even have headers. Very fun car and easy to do. Removing the IRS was the biggest improvement though, saved 118lbs and made the car hook better and it feels downright violent in 2nd gear when it hooks. The 2.8's have made just over 1000fwhp recently and very common for 900fwhp but the tune and fuel octane are so important. WHen I had a ported eaton I thought it was fast with 540rwhp and Amazon doing the tuning, now its like that AND a 100 shot at any rpm. Traction is a huge issue and I sheared my trans input shaft into two peices. All in good fun.

I will have another LSX though, they are the best design for N/A and FI so far but Ford did a hell of a job with the Cobra, if they had only had a T/S (twin screw) blower from the factory. Wish GM would produce a Forged Engine option.

As soon as I win the lotto, its yours man. Bolt some slicks and launch at 5K and it should break a 9 at 140mph as long as you dont break anything.

One of the guys (Buster) just made 999 rwhp from a turbo on a totally stock long block. KB's take less power to spin than an eaton but a turbo is where its really at.
    http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f...7-a-89873.html
    i was just reading on kenne bell's website and i have no idea they started out racing and building turbo bufords, thats amazing! they are really something special and im intrigued with their efficiency and power, especially atop such a small cubed v8 such as the 4v. crazy shit to say the least.

i emailed kenne bell, as im sure most have, about the probability of producing an f body specific kit and what would be needed. i read many threads on tech about this very thing and was somewhat shocked to find out that the damn blower is nearly 10 inches tall! thats serious man! every time i look at how far back the motor is in my z i cringe a bit, because everythings a bitch to get to, and you would have to severely hack into the windshield, fire wall, and dash to mount a blower up there. damn shame.

i was also suprised at how reasonable the kb packages are, and for 6 grand i think thats a pretty good deal with most front mounted turbo kits easily running that nowadays. im not an sts kinda guy, ive had a turbo car and there is so much shit to worry about as it is i would be paranoid about the system reaching back that far away from the motor, primarily the return line.

those numbers you gave are incredible, and damn do i want a cobra all the more! they just look great and perform well. wish i could have both, so win the lotto! but seriously, i cant believe how well those modulars like boost.

i cant believe you dont have headers! thats funny as hell but impressive for the power you have. seen alot of cobras with the bbk 5/8s... so the ported eaton got you 549...gd damn!

i really hope to god kenne bell answers my question...

thanks man for all the info and the pics! bad to the bone!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

since I got booted with my Camaro at 11.40's without a roll bar.
    I would be looking at the same problem when I run off the mountain for the first time.
    Altitude kills me (5800), but it still should run 11.75 here. Bandimere is a great track though.
    Best so far is 11.97 at 117.59. Since added a little power and am still learning the car.

I seem to run even ET's and traps as most KB Cobra's. Although set-ups obviously vary.
    Oh....N/A here.

C6 H/C/N20

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    i was just reading on kenne bell's website and i have no idea they started out racing and building turbo bufords, thats amazing! they are really something special and im intrigued with their efficiency and power, especially atop such a small cubed v8 such as the 4v. crazy shit to say the least.

i emailed kenne bell, as im sure most have, about the probability of producing an f body specific kit and what would be needed. i read many threads on tech about this very thing and was somewhat shocked to find out that the damn blower is nearly 10 inches tall! thats serious man! every time i look at how far back the motor is in my z i cringe a bit, because everythings a bitch to get to, and you would have to severely hack into the windshield, fire wall, and dash to mount a blower up there. damn shame.

i was also suprised at how reasonable the kb packages are, and for 6 grand i think thats a pretty good deal with most front mounted turbo kits easily running that nowadays. im not an sts kinda guy, ive had a turbo car and there is so much shit to worry about as it is i would be paranoid about the system reaching back that far away from the motor, primarily the return line.

those numbers you gave are incredible, and damn do i want a cobra all the more! they just look great and perform well. wish i could have both, so win the lotto! but seriously, i cant believe how well those modulars like boost.

i cant believe you dont have headers! thats funny as hell but impressive for the power you have. seen alot of cobras with the bbk 5/8s... so the ported eaton got you 549...gd damn!

i really hope to god kenne bell answers my question...

thanks man for all the info and the pics! bad to the bone!
    The 2.8's are being put on Vettes but nobody makes an F-body kit. This is exactly what I wanted to do with my SS but the cowl is in the way. A new hood is easy to get but cutting the cowl is another story but doable. On LS1tech there is a guy doint this as a kit and was looking for donor F-bodies. Forged bottom end and 17lbs of KB boost on an LS1 would be pure JOY!

James at KB takes forever to answer emails. There is an Austrailian twin turbo set up for F-bodies on LS1tech too, 6K I believe. I cant stand STS, my buddy has it and it hangs so low and the filter is at the back and he has one exhaust pipe from the rear. Looks retarded really. Ill keep my eyes open for updates on the KB. There was also a guy with the Whipple 3.3 unit on a C5!
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=760625

C6 H/C/N20

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I would be looking at the same problem when I run off the mountain for the first time.
    Altitude kills me (5800), but it still should run 11.75 here. Bandimere is a great track though.
    Best so far is 11.97 at 117.59. Since added a little power and am still learning the car.

I seem to run even ET's and traps as most KB Cobra's. Although set-ups obviously vary.
    Oh....N/A here.
    Yea its all about air in and air out really. Ive seen my own SS trap 121 N/A but thats pretty slow, then I couldnt run it on the NOS but Im sure it would be 127ish. Ive seen stroker LSX's trap 125-130 and Ive seen most KB cars run 125-140 and anywhere in between. Im sure a stroker LSX is a fun ride! You will run 127+ at sea level.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Im sure a stroker LSX is a fun ride!
    Hell...it is pretty fun even for the altitude.
    Anything that traps better than 115MPH is fast for a street car to me.
    Still working on finding every last pony out of the set-up, but it has been hard to lately.
    Looking for about 550RWHP SAE next season. And solidly in the 11's here.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

There are some things here that need clearing up:

You DONT need heads cam and fast 90 to clear 420rwhp anymore. Sorry... I have cracked that number twice this month on the dyno with 2 cam only cars with stock ls6 intakes. Both cars had QTP headers and both had the tried and true g5x3.

The guy talking about his brother's car making 462 @ 8psi... something is wrong there. On a 101 degree day recently I made north of 550rwhp on a stock LS6 (04 Z06) with headers and 7.5psi

My own car made over 600rwhp @ 10psi and I have an 8.5:1 engine... I haven't had it back on the dyno but I run 16-16.5psi on the street on pump and meth. Care to take a guess what it makes at this level?

Oh, and the cars I was referring to can be seen here so you know this isn't hot air that I'm blowing: http://www.lsxtune.com/gallery.htm

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

The 2.8's are being put on Vettes but nobody makes an F-body kit. This is exactly what I wanted to do with my SS but the cowl is in the way. A new hood is easy to get but cutting the cowl is another story but doable. On LS1tech there is a guy doint this as a kit and was looking for donor F-bodies. Forged bottom end and 17lbs of KB boost on an LS1 would be pure JOY!
    http://lmspeed.com/index.asp?PageAct...WPROD&ProdID=2
    lmspeed makes a kit for the f-bodies, using the GTO maggie

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

thats so sick, cobras beware judgement day is coming and your reaper is wearing a bow tie!

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    There are some things here that need clearing up:

You DONT need heads cam and fast 90 to clear 420rwhp anymore. Sorry... I have cracked that number twice this month on the dyno with 2 cam only cars with stock ls6 intakes. Both cars had QTP headers and both had the tried and true g5x3.
    can you please post the dyno for us. thanks. also A4 for M6?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

can you please post the dyno for us. thanks. also A4 for M6?
    The owners have the printouts, but I should see one of them on Friday at the track and I know his sheet is in his console. I can snap a pic of the graph with my digi-cam.

The car that I should be able to get the printout for is an 02 M6 WS6, QTPs with dual cutouts, and g5X3 on a 114lsa. The car put down 409 rwhp 6+ months ago and had an UD pulley added, ported TB, and aftermarket MAF. After the retune (mostly for the MAF) it made 422rwhp.

Another guy who is a pretty good buddy with (also) an 02 M6 WS6 with a VERY similar setup made like identical numbers... QTPs, SLP MAF, g5x3, stock TB and stock pulley also made 409rwhp. I can likely get his graph too.

That cam is 'old' by today's standards but damn, it always makes good power and it's always easy to tune and it HITS.

I tuned an 01SS with that cam and a set of MTI stg2R heads on the street with a wideband for a guy that doesn't care about dyno numbers, just track times and the car ended going 11.3x at like 122.7mph (M6!) .... here is a link to the thread on ls1tech and an idle video of the car as well (owner has a pic on pg2 with a nice launch): http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730532

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    The owners have the printouts, but I should see one of them on Friday at the track and I know his sheet is in his console. I can snap a pic of the graph with my digi-cam.

The car that I should be able to get the printout for is an 02 M6 WS6, QTPs with dual cutouts, and g5X3 on a 114lsa. The car put down 409 rwhp 6+ months ago and had an UD pulley added, ported TB, and aftermarket MAF. After the retune (mostly for the MAF) it made 422rwhp.
    yeah the pulley and ported TB was the missing 10-12rwhp that I was looking for, plus M6. yeah you don't need heads to get 420rwhp if you got all that you mentioned with a tune. no need for the dyno chart, you've gave me the additional info I needed. thanks,
    back to "Cobra" subject gentlemen.

C6 H/C/N20

Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    thats so sick, cobras beware judgement day is coming and your reaper is wearing a bow tie!
    Its a Maggie, not a twin screw.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread Information