Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 202

Cobra's Wow!

This is a discussion on Cobra's Wow! within the Domestics and Foreigns forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by patricksd I'm gonna jump in here, just because I'm not a rabid GM or Ford fan. To ...

  1. #61
    no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,463

    Pewter
    2000 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by patricksd View Post
    I'm gonna jump in here, just because I'm not a rabid GM or Ford fan. To be honest, I could give a shit if a Cobra makes 650 rwhp or an LS1 or LS2 450 with bolt-ons. Why? Because like most people, I don't live next to a track, so racing it five nights a week and posting my experiences in the "kill stories" section is not realistic. My guess is, most guys with Cobras and built Camaros drive them as daily drivers, or sparingly throughout the week. What does this mean? It means they have to drive on the street.

    There is such a limit as useable horsepower. Sure, rocketing down a 1/4 mile track in 10 seconds is bad ass. But unless you live next to a track, it means absolutely nothing, zero, zilch, nada. There is no place I can take my car and safely rocket up to 120 mph and have enough room to shut down, without endangering my life, or those around me.

    So, for the majority of us, it doesn't matter. We have to drive our cars on the street, where there are stupid, slow drivers. We have rush hour traffic, which limits 0-60 runs. There are stoplights. Roads were not designed or built for 600 rwhp cars. And since the majority of driving is done on the road, 600 rwhp becomes a disadvantage.

    For anyone with a high horsepower Cobra or LS1, you cannot even get close to your power potential cruising on the street, there are too many obstructions. Now, I know some of guys live in towns of 200 people with wide-open stretches of road. I'm sure in those areas, its a blast. But with 70% of the American population living near the coasts (i.e. big cities), there isn't much opportunity to open it up.

    Personally, I don't want 600 rwhp. Why? Because I'd be on people's asses all the time, drive more erratic, risk more tickets, and God forbid, kill myself or others.
    interesting points. never thought of it this way. still though, even 300 hp is a whole lot for the street. it all just depends on how you make the power and how you drive it in my opinion.

  2. #62
    Senior Member camarojunky74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    corona ca
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,258

    white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

    personally for me the more power the better, although with that in mind more power means less reliability and affordability!

    this alll comes down to who has the deeper pockets!

  3. #63
    Senior Member slims00ls1z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,212

    2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

    I've seen instances where 120 HP was too much. I can only imagine how hard it would be hooking 600 or more hell I dont have near that and 1st and most of 2nd gear is useless on the street even from a roll.

  4. #64
    Senior Member camarojunky74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    corona ca
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,258

    white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

    lol honda kids dont count, what i dont understand is how they wrap those little shit boxes around telephone poles? i didnt even know they went fast enough to crack the front bumper! pretty much idiot proof cars no? lol

  5. #65
    LETS RACE! EVO 9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    oceanside CA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    229

    Silver
    03 Cobra

    wow, the most civilized debate about cobras and f-bodies ever. i think some of the guys on this board arent really car guys, they just like LS1's. which is cool because that is what the board is for, LS1's. but it gets annoying sometimes on here as soon as "cobra" is seen everyone is quick to say "oh well, put a blower on an LS1 and blah blah blah" alot of people get annoyed by the mustang owners on here, but im here for the same reason as they are, to learn. i still find it amazing, i was at a primarily ls1 shop that a friend of mine works at and a guy saw my cobra and he asks "what all is done to you Slobra?" i told him i had a pulley, intake, exhaust and tune. he say "oh so your putting what 400 or so to the tires" i told him closer to 460 and he couldnt believe it, he was amazed. i love both cars, but for some reason i prefer driving mustangs. hopefully one day i will have one of each.

  6. #66
    no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,463

    Pewter
    2000 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by EVO 9 View Post
    wow, the most civilized debate about cobras and f-bodies ever. i think some of the guys on this board arent really car guys, they just like LS1's. which is cool because that is what the board is for, LS1's. but it gets annoying sometimes on here as soon as "cobra" is seen everyone is quick to say "oh well, put a blower on an LS1 and blah blah blah" alot of people get annoyed by the mustang owners on here, but im here for the same reason as they are, to learn. i still find it amazing, i was at a primarily ls1 shop that a friend of mine works at and a guy saw my cobra and he asks "what all is done to you Slobra?" i told him i had a pulley, intake, exhaust and tune. he say "oh so your putting what 400 or so to the tires" i told him closer to 460 and he couldnt believe it, he was amazed. i love both cars, but for some reason i prefer driving mustangs. hopefully one day i will have one of each.
    exactly, and that is the deciding factor. most people who put down the opposite company (like gm guys putting down ford) are severely uneducated about cars in general, and oftentimes know very little about their own cars. its that hardheadedness that really pissing me off when its combined with arrogance. you can love your brand, but atleast educate yourself on the competition or else you end up as just another ignorant fan boy. if you really are a "car guy or gal" you will at the very least respect fast cars and they will interest you to know about, and if you still dislike them you will have concrete and smart reasons as to why you think this way.

    i also agree with the whole "put a blower on an ls1" copout. if youre going to cite this reason, for christs sake know why you think this and have some friggin evidence and logic to back it up. i know cobras have blowers and i think ford was very keen as to what car guys wanted. they didnt sell in high numbers when new, but look at the 03-04 cobras now, they are arguably one of the most sough after domestics in the last 20 years. easy to mod for big power, great looking, and UNDER WARRANTY. cant really beat it.

    good points everyone.

  7. #67
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by patricksd View Post
    There is such a limit as useable horsepower. Sure, rocketing down a 1/4 mile track in 10 seconds is bad ass. But unless you live next to a track, it means absolutely nothing, zero, zilch, nada. There is no place I can take my car and safely rocket up to 120 mph and have enough room to shut down, without endangering my life, or those around me.

    So, for the majority of us, it doesn't matter. We have to drive our cars on the street, where there are stupid, slow drivers. We have rush hour traffic, which limits 0-60 runs. There are stoplights. Roads were not designed or built for 600 rwhp cars. And since the majority of driving is done on the road, 600 rwhp becomes a disadvantage.

    For anyone with a high horsepower Cobra or LS1, you cannot even get close to your power potential cruising on the street, there are too many obstructions. Now, I know some of guys live in towns of 200 people with wide-open stretches of road. I'm sure in those areas, its a blast. But with 70% of the American population living near the coasts (i.e. big cities), there isn't much opportunity to open it up.

    Personally, I don't want 600 rwhp. Why? Because I'd be on people's asses all the time, drive more erratic, risk more tickets, and God forbid, kill myself or others.
    I don't know what in the heck your talking about bro, but my previous '97 SS was a 10-second car and I had no problem romping the mess out of it on the streets. I'm a retired street racer, and when we did we would take it to the highway late at night and go as fast as 160 on occasion - and i'm still here (thank the lord). 120mph is cookies. There are several strips here in Northern California that are more than a quarter-mile long where you can stretch a 500 or 600rwhp cars legs; and the population in my town is about 700,000. Heck, a guy use to race his 9.90 '70 Chevelle at the street races back in '02. And if you ever felt what 600rwhp was like, believe me nothing less would do
    486/438
    10.68/127 N/A


  8. #68
    Member JayplaySS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    391
    C6 H/C/N20

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    I don't know what in the heck your talking about bro, but my previous '97 SS was a 10-second car and I had no problem romping the mess out of it on the streets. I'm a retired street racer, and when we did we would take it to the highway late at night and go as fast as 160 on occasion - and i'm still here (thank the lord). 120mph is cookies. There are several strips here in Northern California that are more than a quarter-mile long where you can stretch a 500 or 600rwhp cars legs; and the population in my town is about 700,000. Heck, a guy use to race his 9.90 '70 Chevelle at the street races back in '02. And if you ever felt what 600rwhp was like, believe me nothing less would do

    Agreed man, anything less than 600rwhp WHEN you have had it is almost noneventful.

  9. #69
    TunedbyFrost.com Tuner Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    2,415

    LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

    Quote Originally Posted by JayplaySS2 View Post
    Oh yea, hell of a bargin too! We can make that power with $5K in mods.
    You have to buy a $20K engine.
    Wait... what?? I make middle 700's on pump gas and I don't have even 15K into my entire turbo and turbo kit, engine AND fuel system... My turbo kit costed more than my longblock!

  10. #70
    Member JayplaySS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    391
    C6 H/C/N20

    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Wait... what?? I make middle 700's on pump gas and I don't have even 15K into my entire turbo and turbo kit, engine AND fuel system... My turbo kit costed more than my longblock!

    I have less than 6k ($5,678 to be exact) into my whole KB and fuel set up now and know Im right around 650whp on pump gas. With my 25-26psi tune I will run over 700whp too. Purs like a kitten on 8hr road trips no less. Thats a bargin for $6K. That quote was for the turnkey KB LS2.

  11. #71
    TunedbyFrost.com Tuner Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    2,415

    LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

    Quote Originally Posted by JayplaySS2 View Post
    I have less than 6k ($5,678 to be exact) into my whole KB and fuel set up now and know Im right around 650whp on pump gas. With my 25-26psi tune I will run over 700whp too. Purs like a kitten on 8hr road trips no less. Thats a bargin for $6K. That quote was for the turnkey KB LS2.
    My PTK kit was 6K with a 76GTS turbo... keeps A/C and no pipes under the K-member

    If the new argument is price; it's easy to come by an f-body in good shape for 9K with minimal looking around and 3K gets the motor forged and fuel done, What's an 03-04 Cobra cost? (I like the fan boy debates )

  12. #72
    Member JayplaySS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    391
    C6 H/C/N20

    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    My PTK kit was 6K with a 76GTS turbo... keeps A/C and no pipes under the K-member

    If the new argument is price; it's easy to come by an f-body in good shape for 9K with minimal looking around and 3K gets the motor forged and fuel done, What's an 03-04 Cobra cost? (I like the fan boy debates )

    You can get modded ones already for $21-25K with less miles and in far better shape than an F-bod. Not that price matters. Check out Ebay, 2002 F-bods with 20K on them are in the $20K's too though nobody is buying them obviously. You are trying to say a $ 9K F-bod is the same as a 20K Cobra? Genuine. I guess you are trying to say also that 3K buys you a forged bottom WORTH working with? Please. I was going that route with my SS before I sold it.

    Just this weekend I helped my bud and his 2000 Z28 w/58K on it install new T-top seals since they were leaking like crazy. Quailty. No offense.
    Dont take offense to this. My next car will be a C6 Z06 with FI. Prices will come down a bit with the LS3 Vette out. Hope my roof doesnt blow off though.....
    Last edited by JayplaySS2; 08-20-2007 at 07:09 PM.

  13. #73
    Senior Member camarojunky74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    corona ca
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,258

    white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

    wow....your basing gm's quality of f bodys on your friends t top seals, come on, a rubber seal , well in any case mileage has no effect on weather stripping, just exposure to heat cold ect, im sure you know this cause you had one and you now everything about f bods, but seem to forget the fact that a 98fbod is the same thing as a 02 fbod, cause thats a luxury f bod fans get to enjoy, 5 solid years of performance what did ford give only 2 years of a mustang worth having, but not worth the price imo, yeah i think those cobras are sick dont get me wrong but this thread was fine until you came in here bashing f bods because of weather stripping, lol whatever, please, you drive a cobra, say whatever you want about any car cause yours is the fastest.

  14. #74
    Member JayplaySS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    391
    C6 H/C/N20

    Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    wow....your basing gm's quality of f bodys on your friends t top seals, come on, a rubber seal , well in any case mileage has no effect on weather stripping, just exposure to heat cold ect, im sure you know this cause you had one and you now everything about f bods, but seem to forget the fact that a 98fbod is the same thing as a 02 fbod, cause thats a luxury f bod fans get to enjoy, 5 solid years of performance what did ford give only 2 years of a mustang worth having, but not worth the price imo, yeah i think those cobras are sick dont get me wrong but this thread was fine until you came in here bashing f bods because of weather stripping, lol whatever, please, you drive a cobra, say whatever you want about any car cause yours is the fastest.
    Mine isnt the fastest and we all know every car company has its problems. I also wasnt bashing GM based on my friends Camaro, I have had 5 Camaros ( last one was a 99 SS 11 sec N/A) and now my 10th Mustang. Had far more problems with my Camaros as a whole especially wierd crap like power window motors all the time and the damn bulbs burning out in the radio and dash and dont even mention the damn parking lights! Ive gone to hell and back modding the Cobra and have YET to have a problem. Like the C6 Z06 having thier roofs peel off! Ill just JB weld it. Dont get your panties in a bunch.
    Last edited by JayplaySS2; 08-21-2007 at 05:45 PM.

  15. #75
    Member silverz28camaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Washington MO
    Age
    31
    Posts
    796

    sebring silver
    2000 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by JayplaySS2 View Post
    Calm down. I dont think I can walk everybody. My next car will be a C6 Z06 so I love GM just as much as the next guy. I also like Ford too though. I just give credit where it is due. The N/A 5.0 Cammer for the FR500 series car makes 535 hp (more than the Z06 with MUCH less displacement but a race motor) and the N/A 7.0l in the S7 makes 550 hp. They can build them when they need to. Blower was just easy. The XLR is rated at 440 and the Cobra is rated at 390. I am sure they are not correct either. The Cobra is closer to 440 due to 360-380rwhp in stock form corrected for 15% DT loss. I am confident the Caddy will not make 440bhp but who cares. So Ford does still win the MOD wars. LSX is the future platform and we all know it. No big deal. For the record, there are guys who crave MASSIVE power, like myself and would still need FI on the mighty LS7. When they put the LS7 into the Camaro (Katech I believe) it was still a turd. The Vette AND the LS7 make the ultimate combo.
    if your cobra is soooo bad i want to see you walk this car

    http://www.ls1speed.com/shopcar.cfm

    and don;t give me any "uh it has 370cid and a turbo" this 8.95 sec camaro will kill you stang

  16. #76
    M6 King Hot Black Trans-Am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    5,085
    Blog Entries
    1

    09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

    I think I hear the click of a locked thread in the near future!

  17. #77
    Senior Member camarojunky74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    corona ca
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,258

    white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

    Quote Originally Posted by JayplaySS2 View Post
    Mine isnt the fastest and we all know every car company has its problems. I also wasnt bashing GM based on my friends Camaro, I have had 5 Camaros ( last one was a 99 SS 11 sec N/A) and now my 10th Mustang. Had far more problems with my Camaros as a whole especially wierd crap like power window motors all the time and the damn bulbs burning out in the radio and dash and dont even mention the damn parking lights! Ive gone to hell and back modding the Cobra and have YET to have a problem. Like the C6 Z06 having thier roofs peel off! Ill just JB weld it. Dont get your panties in a bunch.
    what do you mean you werent bashing gm! you clearly wrote that you had to help replace weather stripping... Quality,

    sounds like bashing to me!

    but whatever im not getting my pantys in a bunch, im over it and i hope this thread doesnt get locked because its a good one, imo

  18. #78
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South of Heaven
    Posts
    121

    Black
    2002 WS6

    I have a 1993 LT1 T-top and it doesn't leak and it doesn't need new weatherstripping. I have had no problems with my LS1 either, ever. I have never had the head problems they have with '03 Cobras and my car doesn't explode and lock the doors when it gets hit from the rear.

    And the goal posts in this argument continue to get moved all the time. With similar builds against the 4.6 Ford, the LS1 always produces more power. ALWAYS. Unless the engine builder is an idiot. The F-body is a far more nicely styled car than any Mustang ever made, with better options (t-tops, better leather, more luggage space) and it has a much faster top end (160+mph steady as a rock).

    Man, the Ford inferiority complex just doesn't quit. So you made the mistake of selling your SS for an '03 Cobra. Guess what? You're not nearly the fastest, there's DD LS1s that will kick your ass. Guess what else? Nobody here cares. It's old. Get lost.

  19. #79
    no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,463

    Pewter
    2000 z28

    ok its getting pretty girly in here going back and forth with accusations about weather stripping and quality. and who cares about the 8 second camaro because it really isnt relevant to the argument.

    lets just leave this at the kenne bell twin screw cobras are very sick cars indeed, even a stock cobra is.

    and even the ford guys know what happens when an lsx gets boosted.

    no one wins this argument. lets settle with the facts that anything can happen on any given day but at the end of that day we all are driving very nice, very fast, and very capable cars.


  20. #80
    Junior Member formula2432001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    12

    maple red metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    With the understanding that a supercharged cobra can blow our doors off with only a few mods, it takes ford to put a superchargeron something to enven compete with the f-body and the vette. The saddest of things is that ford had to wait until the f-body was gone. If you think about it, one could say we are using outdated technology up against the best ford can dish out, I think we are doing very well for ourselves. I want to see the new camaro against the cobra!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 04 cobra vs 04 gto
    By burnsxxxls1 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-26-2010, 06:14 PM
  2. 2008 Cobra Jet Mustang - Return Of The Cobra Jets
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2009, 09:16 AM
  3. Ford 428 Cobra Jet Build - Deadly Cobra - Engine T
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2008, 11:40 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 01:14 PM
  5. Me vs Cobra
    By formy01 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 12:03 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •