Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cobra's Wow!

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Cobra's Wow!

okay ive always known that the cobra was a pretty sick street car capable of 500rwhp, but shit i went on one of those forums and everyone had atleast 500hp, and they were complaining of this "low #'s" i was like .... FU*k those cars are pretty sick! but i still like mine morehahaha

Adios and vaya con dios ZAPFOOL!!'s Avatar

Victory Red
    2002 Corvette Z06

and here I am wanting 400 rwhp

1966 Corvette Coupe

-me

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Yep pretty sickening that 2 mods (pulley and exhaust) can put them close to that mark.

I really thought of getting one, but with me going to college, I cant afford that shit. How are their mpgs?

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

i am guessing if they dont lay into the boost they can see 15mpg at least, and yeagh when i was almost done with uti, i was in power and performance classes this bran new student got a 04 for getting good grades or some shit, we put that on the dyno, all it had was a pulley, chip and exhaust and he put down 487hp, which wasnt bad at all! i was like fu*k.... my 74 camaro that ive worked on for god nows how long only does 303 hp to the wheels, i was amazed and upset llol, cause i hate mustangs, HATE THEM

1966 Corvette Coupe

i have considered one for a while, but insurance on them is OUTRAGEOUS!!!!

A buddy of mine has a 99 (non supercharged) and his insurance is more than mine on the vette... We carry the same coverage and i have a wreck in my history...

-me

Sunset Orange
    2001 Procharged Camaro SS

give a camaro same boost and it will rape a stang....trust me
    01 SOM SS D-1SC Tuned by Steve: TunedByFrost.com

FQuick Garage 764 rwhp / 645 tq

1966 Corvette Coupe

first off... give a camaro the same boost and youll blow it to peices... secondly... to tell you the truth i think the head design might actually have us beat..

4 valve > 2 valve.... especially when it comes to boost...

-me

Adios and vaya con dios ZAPFOOL!!'s Avatar

Victory Red
    2002 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by AFASTYZFR1 View Post
    give a camaro same boost and it will rape a stang....trust me
    counter agrument......give the cobra the same displacement

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Cobras are pretty fucking sick. If for some insane reason i was looking to sell my car and 04 cobra wood be at the very top of my list
    Last edited by rajiv1998; 08-03-2007 at 07:17 PM.

Black
    2002 WS6

There's a thread on one of the Mustang sites of all the '03-04 Cobras that have blown up. There's hundreds of them. Most of them only had a pulley. It's all good until one of the injectors malfunctions and KABOOM. I know it looks good and it feels good, but at sustained high speeds they are at risk. Now you're going to have Mustang lovers here any second saying it's all not true and they've driven x-thousand miles with no problems, but it is a fact that they are at higher risk of blowing up when boosted.

It only takes a few seconds of a lean condition to cause severe engine damage.

C6 H/C/N20

Cobras can take 20lbs easy with good tunes. The only reason for failures are when you add something different such as the slightest boost with a hot day and ANY engine will detonate and go south. Lot of guys dont even have AFR guages.
    Run around 18-19lbs and a healthy tune and you will have 630+rwhp all year long.

Or get a Modded C6 Z06 and dont worry about anything on the street.
    It is not easy balancing any FI engine, LSX included.

1966 Corvette Coupe

usually the #7 cylinder isnt it...

and under boost you gotta watch your tune... alot of cobra owners throw on pulley and exhaust and make power... but it of my opinion that those generic tunes they throw on cars with had held tuners just arent fine tuned enough to keep your car safe...

its quick and easy to not go have a car tuned by ppl that know what they are doing... and then BOOM...

-me

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

yeah, over on svtperformance on their kill stories they all talk about killing modded zo6's and vipers-damn!!

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

personally, i would never own one, just because its still a mustang... BUT i think that svt did right with that car! i drive a low 13 to a high 12 car right now on street tires, and for the most part i have beaten any svt thats rolled thru my town lightly modded, but i also have be raped by like 3-4 cars on one race and all he had was... well you know pulley exhaust and chip!

and for the whole blowing up thing>> anytime you make more boost than stock you run a risk of blowing it up dont matter if you ran lean, or the motor can handle all the timing its been givin, but from the factory to get a 600 rwhp capable machine is pretty sick.

but like i always tell my friends give me a blower, some good heads and than we will see, having more displacment is a huge advantage and it always will be.

C6 H/C/N20

Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    personally, i would never own one, just because its still a mustang... BUT i think that svt did right with that car! i drive a low 13 to a high 12 car right now on street tires, and for the most part i have beaten any svt thats rolled thru my town lightly modded, but i also have be raped by like 3-4 cars on one race and all he had was... well you know pulley exhaust and chip!

and for the whole blowing up thing>> anytime you make more boost than stock you run a risk of blowing it up dont matter if you ran lean, or the motor can handle all the timing its been givin, but from the factory to get a 600 rwhp capable machine is pretty sick.

but like i always tell my friends give me a blower, some good heads and than we will see, having more displacment is a huge advantage and it always will be.
    Thats what my buddy with a soon the be Procharged 2000 Z28 says. I will be installing it as well as his FAST intake and a 75 shot then I will be walking him too. All in good fun though. So you need a Supercharger AND a good set of heads AND larger displacement to run with my little 281?

Now with the 2.8H KB's and 3.4 Whipples we are at 700+RWHP. Glad I sold my 99 SS when it was still worth something. It took me less time to install my KB than than it did to install LT's and Y-pipe on my LS1! Thats what you call a bolt on boys.
    Last edited by JayplaySS2; 08-06-2007 at 07:24 PM.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by JayplaySS2 View Post
    Thats what my buddy with a soon the be Procharged 2000 Z28 says. I will be installing it as well as his FAST intake and a 75 shot then I will be walking him too. All in good fun though. So you need a Supercharger AND a good set of heads AND larger displacement to run with my little 281?

Now with the 2.8H KB's and 3.4 Whipples we are at 700+RWHP. Glad I sold my 99 SS when it was still worth something. It took me less time to install my KB than than it did to install LT's and Y-pipe on my LS1! Thats what you call a bolt on boys.
    well we really dont need heads, but to do it right you SHOULD lower your compression ratio, but if you look at it this way, yeah an ls1 does have 65 more cubic inches, but despite having pretty good flowing heads stock and a good intake, there is only so much air to be let in by 1 valve, and the same to be let out, then svt put a blower on there and all of a sudden a little 281 isnt so little in the amount of air and fuel coming in and out!

your 32 valve engine is basically a similar desighn to the cosworth engine from way back when placed into the formula 1 cars, DOHC and a blower combined with 32 valve v8 =86hp per litre, that is me assuming a stock 32 valve has 400hp which is the same as an ls1 stock, both at the crank of course. a ls1 is around 80 hp per litre without the blower or the dohc 32 valve.

and yes after you bolted on a kb blower we do need this to run with you guys, but stock for stock its a pretty good race imo, i have taken a few and lost to a few all in fun like you said, but the camaro mustang rivalry lives on.

C6 H/C/N20

Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    well we really dont need heads, but to do it right you SHOULD lower your compression ratio, but if you look at it this way, yeah an ls1 does have 65 more cubic inches, but despite having pretty good flowing heads stock and a good intake, there is only so much air to be let in by 1 valve, and the same to be let out, then svt put a blower on there and all of a sudden a little 281 isnt so little in the amount of air and fuel coming in and out!

your 32 valve engine is basically a similar desighn to the cosworth engine from way back when placed into the formula 1 cars, DOHC and a blower combined with 32 valve v8 =86hp per litre, that is me assuming a stock 32 valve has 400hp which is the same as an ls1 stock, both at the crank of course. a ls1 is around 80 hp per litre without the blower or the dohc 32 valve.

and yes after you bolted on a kb blower we do need this to run with you guys, but stock for stock its a pretty good race imo, i have taken a few and lost to a few all in fun like you said, but the camaro mustang rivalry lives on.

I really think you have the most honest down to earth post Ive read in a long time. Serriously. As always, competition is a good motivator for innovation.
    When you consider 650rwhp (780-800bhp @15% DT loss) on pump gas now youre looking at 171.7hp per litre! Thats damn impressive no matter what pump gas engine it is in my opionon.
    Last edited by JayplaySS2; 08-07-2007 at 04:32 PM.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Quote Originally Posted by JayplaySS2 View Post
    So you need a Supercharger AND a good set of heads AND larger displacement to run with my little 281?
    Technically not you have a 4.6L engine with an added 2.8L so yours equals out to the displacement of roughly 7.4L :P

I'm all for the competition putting down real HP numbers and not puny ones that way I know the other side will have to up the antee.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information