Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 98 Svt Cobra

Black
    2000 Trans Am

98 Svt Cobra

So this kid around town has a 98 SVT Cobra. It dosent have a super/turbo. The kid says that it has a cam, but I didnt hear it lopping and it didnt seem to idol rough so Im thinking that its not that radical, and he didnt say anything about the heads at all. I got to look at the engine and I didnt see anything out of the ordinary with it, nothing looked really aftermarket on it. The Valve covers were huge tho. He says that he has never been beaten but has never had his car up to the track so dosent have any numbers. He hasnt had it dynoed either. He says that he has raced a number of GT mustangs and LS1 Fbodies, said he always won and I hear that its pretty bad ass from other people. So how much power could he be pulling if it dosent have any engine displacement or FI mods done to it? I have been to the track a few times and beaten almost evey stock LS1 by about a second in the 8th which I dont understand becuase my numbers suck. I did agree to race the kid next year at the track after I get my exhaust, suspension and tranny done this winter. I figured that if it was "really" fast I should atleast get mine up to speed before I raced him.

Red
    2002 TA WS6

Just because you can't notice a radical lope does not mean he doesn't have a good cam. Most streetable cams are made for mid range power and torque, and don't have a lot of lope. A cam will add more power than any other single inexpensive mod, but usually requires bigger injectors to make it work to it's potential. Since the Cobra already has good headers and top end flow from the factory a better cam adds a considerable boost in power. More than likely the contest will depend on what transmission and rear end gears each car has. If he has a stick, and you have an auto you may be in for a dissapointing surprise. If it's the other way around you should be in good shape.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

A cobra agaisnt an ls1 the ls1 usually pulls, but a cammed cobra that is a challenge. It will be a good race

red
    2000 ws6

all cobras i think are usually stick race him from the hole if you are an automatic you will most probably pull on him

Red
    2002 TA WS6

all cobras i think are usually stick
    Good point!

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Unless hes a good driver, i race auto ls1 cars all the time and hang right with them if not half a car ahead until 2nd then im gone lol

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

98 Mustang Cobra Specifications

(selected from press releases) Engine Configuration Longitudinally mounted, 90-degree V8, cast aluminum block and heads, iron cylinder liners, fully counterweighted forged crankshaft, six-bolt main bearing caps
    Bore x Stroke 90.2 mm x 90.0 mm
    Compression Ratio 9.85:1
    Redline 6,800 (fuel shut-off at 7,000 rpm)
    Valve train Double overhead cams, chain-drive to exhaust cams, secondary chain from exhaust to intake cams, roller finger followers with hydraulic lash adjustment, ovate-wire beehive valve springs, four valves per cylinder
    Fuel System Sequential electronic fuel injection
    Rear Axle 8.8 inch limited-slip differential
    Transmission Borg-Warner T45 five-speed manual
    1st Gear Ratio 3.37 with 45 mph max. speed
    2nd Gear Ratio 1.99 with 77 mph max. speed
    3rd Gear Ratio 1.33 with 115 mph max. speed
    4th Gear Ratio 1.00 with 152 mph max. speed
    5th Gear Ratio 0.67
    Final Drive Ratio 3.27
    Suspension, front Modified MacPherson strut with separate spring on lower arm, variable-rate coil springs, 29mm stabilizer bar
    Suspension, rear Rigid axle, upper and lower trailing arms, two leading hydraulic links, variable-rate coil springs, shock absorbers, 27mm stabilizer bar
    Steering Gear Ratio 14.7:1
    Steering, turns lock to lock 2.38
    Wheelbase 101.3
    Length 181.5
    Height 53.4
    Width 71.8
    Track, f/r 60.0 in./58.7 in.
    Curb Weight, coupe 3,439
    Curb Weight, convertible 3,581
    EPA City Fuel Economy 18
    EPA Highway Fuel Economy 26
    Acceleration, 0-60 mph 5.9 seconds
    Quarter-mile 13.99 seconds @ 101.6 mph
    Top Speed 152 mph
    Braking, 60-0 127 ft.
    Skidpad, 100 ft. 0.89g
    Slalom, 80 ft. 52.1 mph

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I agree that you would pull a stock one but if he drive and has cams, it will be close

red
    2000 ws6

i race a 97 cobra a lot since my best friend has one he has only exhaust and intake but they are pretty easy...also a cam on mustang dont think they get much gain from them like an ls1

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

In my Experience I've never lost to a stock `96-`01 Cobra
    They usually hang for most of first gear but after I hit second it's all over.
    Bolt on Cars with gears (4.10's to 4.30's) can be pretty fast though so I would pay close attention to his mods.
    In any case you never know what will happen till you try
    Just Race the guy, Win or Lose it's all about having fun.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

If he is cammed he probably has some bolt ons, who cams a car and leaves the exhaust stock. That car can be making over 300rwhp, with gears, and or drag radials its all over, does he have street tires? Every bolt on cobra i have raced i have beaten aswell, however i have seen some with full bolt ons, cams, tune and drag radials run low 12s.
    Last edited by 2000T/A Guru; 09-04-2007 at 02:48 PM.

red
    2000 ws6

my friend also had 4.30 gears i know he doesn't have a cam but his motor is bored out so hes like a 4.8 liter or something like that i think still only way to find out how fast he is just race him hehe.... and if u lose its only a race

FUGLY CBR1000RR rider.com

Black n Black
    04 Dodge Ram 07 CBR1000RR

My buddy had a 99 Cobra, he wasn't the best driver but he could drive and didn't suck like some other people I've seen. His car only had a cat back exhaust. I raced him twice when I was only really running on 7 cylinders due to a burned plug wire and I hung with him, no real clear winner. With the extra cylinder and the car running fine I was able to beat him, not by much but I have an LT1. He had another 99 Cobra before that one and I was able to beat that one by about a car length.

Just keep in mind that the Cobra is a dual over head cam, so you might want to ask the question and see if the kid knows what he's talking about. The N/A Cobras still have a very long power band like their S/C brother, my buddy let me drive his and it felt so much faster then my LT1 and seemed to pull forever.

Black n Black

And another thing, keep in mind, I'm not sure if your younger or not, but if you are, most of the younger crowd is going to think a Cobra is bad ass because it's something they aren't used to seeing. People back home think my LT1 is badass, and it isn't even that fast, it sounds nice and is quicker than what most people are used to back home. So just keep in mind the sort of people your talking to.

Did no one see what secondgear put up? Those cobras are DOHC. So hed have to have had done 2 cams, plus a lot of work to get to them. My guess is thats hes LYING.

Race him NOW.

Black n Black

^ Exactly what I said too

Black n Black

And one last thing for now, you said his valve covers were huge, all Cobras have valve covers about twice the width of the ones on our Camaros. The height isn't that tall, so don't be fulled by stock valve covers, all Cobras have big covers.

green
    98 formula

if the cobra is so bad it should have been dynoed before it ever hit the street

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I realize that a cobra really isnt that big of a deal, it still just a 4.6l with some goodies that the GT dosent have. I did cruise around alittle behind him and it didnt sound any meaner than my TA does, he lit them up pretty good about 15-20 roll but its nothing that I cant do if I lay into it. I had my TA dynoed and it was pretty sick--in a bad way. It only pulled 281/283 with some boltons. Im gonna wait until I get my exhaust done right, shift kit and some SFCs with a torque arm this winter, then Im gonna get him up to the track and see what it can do. He was talking about looking at putting a Supercharger on it. When he bought it, it was already built. but thats ok if he does get a supercharger by that time my Formula should be done and still my displacement and my boost will be greater than his so either way I should win. I think that Im gonna let Rhinoman with his 06 GTO run him first to see what hes got, seems the kid was looking for him also, and if Rhinoman beats him well I beat Rhinoman at the track so it shouldnt be a problem then, just more insult to his injury. I also have a buddy with a pretty mean GTP that wants to play with him after he gets his new tranny in. So I'll see what happens and keep you guys posted. Thanks

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Did no one see what secondgear put up? Those cobras are DOHC. So hed have to have had done 2 cams, plus a lot of work to get to them. My guess is thats hes LYING.

Race him NOW.
    thank god someone caught that.

and just so we arent confused here. the 2vs are single overhead cam, so one cam for each cylinder bank.

dohc should have 4 cams total, two or double, for each cylinder bank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information