Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

1992 Typhoon

This is a discussion on 1992 Typhoon within the Domestics and Foreigns forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Here is a shot of mine, red with silver cladding. They only made these in a few colors. What color ...

Here is a shot of mine, red with silver cladding. They only made these in a few colors. What color is yours??

98 Formula
    06 duramax

that is one flat nose right there

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Good info Firebird!

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    that is one flat nose right there
    Ya they are boxy looking sob's

But you tend to forget all that when you go 0-60 in 4 seconds

I ran a 1.51 60 foot time with it. They are just animals at the stoplights. Just not much steam above 90 mph or so

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya they are boxy looking sob's

But you tend to forget all that when you go 0-60 in 4 seconds

I ran a 1.51 60 foot time with it. They are just animals at the stoplights. Just not much steam above 90 mph or so
    Imho gears and because 90* v6's have no top end..

All grunt then on their face @ 4000 rpm..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Not necessarily true, I've seen these things modded hit 120+ mph in the 1/4 no problem back in the day.

Gears aren't the issue, they come with 3.42's factory. The trans also has the ability to hit 4th gear under full throttle, something alot of 700R4's wouldn't do in other packages.

I think it was programmed to shift around 4500, I can't remember exactly it's been a few years. But you are right about one thing, they do make alot of grunt, you can thank the hair dryer for that. Grunt is where it's at with these things. Grunt wins stoplight races, and with all wheel drive they were hard to beat, I can tell you that first hand.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Not necessarily true, I've seen these things modded hit 120+ mph in the 1/4 no problem back in the day.

Gears aren't the issue, they come with 3.42's factory. The trans also has the ability to hit 4th gear under full throttle, something alot of 700R4's wouldn't do in other packages.

I think it was programmed to shift around 4500, I can't remember exactly it's been a few years. But you are right about one thing, they do make alot of grunt, you can thank the hair dryer for that. Grunt is where it's at with these things. Grunt wins stoplight races, and with all wheel drive they were hard to beat, I can tell you that first hand.
    Gotcha! Also about the 700r4 and 4th gear.. Both my 89 and 92 Camaros had issues @ WOT in OD..

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Here is a shot of mine, red with silver cladding. They only made these in a few colors. What color is yours??

Click for full size
    Same color scheme as yours. Still no pics, i got super sick this weekend and just put the truck in the garage then passed out until this morning. All i am really missing is a couple cladding pieces. The interior is only missing the shift plate that tells you if you are in p through 1.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 03-07-2011 at 06:33 AM.

Arctic White, red/gray

Sorry it took so long to get pics but I wa sick and working on other cars.

The truck is missing some cladding as i said there are a couple rust spots.

So far all I have fixed is, rear window was busted out so that was replaced, exhaust was missing from muffler to tip including muffler replaced that. Driver window was not on track put that back on, shifter linkeage was broken replaced that. Blinkers were hidden way back inside front cladding. Everything works now except the power locks.

I just wanna say that I did NOT put those windshield wiper blades on the truck lol.

Arctic White, red/gray

Shifter linkeage broke again. I fixed the bottom side where it connects to the side of the tranny now the top came apart where it connect to the shifter. And it did this the first day i took it to work lol. Dealer is the only place i can find who can get the cable... they want 270 just for the cable wtf.

Yep, those were the only little trucks that came with floor mounted shifters back then.
    You might be able to make a cable from a 3rd gen Fbody work if that's any cheaper at the dealer, or that might be something you can find at the local yard. Otherwise it's vehicle specific.

My guess though, is that cable fits a few other models because it's still available through the dealer. Otherwise it would have been discontinued by now like all the other Typhoon specific parts.

Arctic White, red/gray

Yep, those were the only little trucks that came with floor mounted shifters back then.
    You might be able to make a cable from a 3rd gen Fbody work if that's any cheaper at the dealer, or that might be something you can find at the local yard. Otherwise it's vehicle specific.

My guess though, is that cable fits a few other models because it's still available through the dealer. Otherwise it would have been discontinued by now like all the other Typhoon specific parts.
    The first 3 dealers i called said it was a discontinued part. The 4th one said they could get it for 270.00 and about 6 private parts stores said they dont show anything in there system. I am gonna get the part number from that dealer and then have the parts stores see if they have any.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    The first 3 dealers i called said it was a discontinued part. The 4th one said they could get it for 270.00 and about 6 private parts stores said they dont show anything in there system. I am gonna get the part number from that dealer and then have the parts stores see if they have any.
    The one GM dealer that said they could get it is probably the only dealer you called that bothered to do a search for it on their little discontinued parts searching machine (what ever it's called).
    The others just don't take the time.

So what they found was a long discontinued part sitting on the shelf somewhere at a dealer either here in the states or across the boarder.

I used to find discontinued parts all the time up in Canada that way and ship them down here.

Arctic White, red/gray

Speaking of lazy searching my friend has the autozone app on his smart phone. It gives you the details and read out just like autozones computer gives there employees. So he calls up autozone asking for a part for his girls focus, the guy hits like 2 buttons and almost immediately say we dont have that but acts like he searched. So Tony says I know you have 2 I can see them and they are in your store. So the guy gets freaked out says hold on and comes back a couple min later and says yea we got them.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Thats some fine cust serv for ya. If you pay some young kid $8-9 an hour, who lives at home, and has no responsabilites, thats the results you get. Its a damn shame that YOU gave him the part # and aval. before he found the part. What a joke. Good thing you have that app!

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    Thats some fine cust serv for ya. If you pay some young kid $8-9 an hour, who lives at home, and has no responsabilites, thats the results you get. Its a damn shame that YOU gave him the part # and aval. before he found the part. What a joke. Good thing you have that app!
    Yep, we showed him the app when we got there and he was impressed with the amount of information it gives.

So i found two sites that sell the cable for 44.99 and the dealer wanted 268.99 for the same part number.

Way to do some digging

Hopefully is shows up as a real GM part and not some repackage china stuff.

Arctic White, red/gray

Way to do some digging

Hopefully is shows up as a real GM part and not some repackage china stuff.
    I bought it off summit racing so hopefully its good. The site made it seem like its not a real gm part but it says on the site that it is a direct replacement for full time awd typhoon/syclone that supposedly is a smoother shifting cable than stock. The other cables for the sonoma and jimmy were longer and specifically said not for use in full time 4x4 vehicle. Hopefully its not a bunch of BS since auto trannys are not known for being hard to shift from factory lol.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 03-17-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I bought it off summit racing so hopefully its good. The site said its not a real gm part part but it says on the site that it is a direct replacement for full time awd typhoon/syclone that supposedly is a smoother shifting cable than stock. The other cables for the sonoma and jimmy were longer and specifically said not for use in full time 4x4 vehicle. Hopefully its not a bunch of BS since auto trannys are not known for being hard to shift from factory lol.
    Ya, you are going to find that with these trucks, everything seems to be a tad different from the regular production jimmys.

Summit has always been good to deal with over the years. I feel pretty good about buying stuff from them, and their tech line is good at answering questions when need be.

Some of those cables do in fact cause hard shifting or just simply don't seem to move well enough. Especially if it makes a couple of sharp turns from the console to the trans.
    I had that issue when I replaced the original cable in my 70 formula. It always worked butter smooth, and with the rally shifter that was a must. The aftermarket cable I got from a restoration supplier was a reproduction made in china. Worked like crap, stiff as a,,,well anyway. I located an NOS cable for it and installed that. Works beautifully.

That cable from Summit will probably fix you right up.

Arctic White, red/gray

DAMMMIITTTTTT, i ordered a whole bunch of rust removal shit and underbody coating from eastwood and I was getting ready to order alot of suspension parts and then my girl called me and told me she stopped at a service center when her car wouldnt leave 1st gear and slips after 25mph in 1st and they said her tranny took a shit. So now I must leave the typhoon in the garage and get started on pulling her engine/trans instead.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information