Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

1992 Typhoon

This is a discussion on 1992 Typhoon within the Domestics and Foreigns forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I was trying to trade my 03 600rr for a f-body or sell for 3500-4k cash. Well after a couple ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    1992 Typhoon

    I was trying to trade my 03 600rr for a f-body or sell for 3500-4k cash. Well after a couple months of crappy trade offers, sound systems, guns, boats, snowmobiles, atvs, engines. And only cash offers were 2500-3200. I finally get a call from someone with a 92 typhoon. So i ask whats wrong with it that you would want to trade it for a 3500 dollar bike. He says look at the pictures the body needs some work. So I went and drove it and traded. It has 96kmiles, broken back window, missing exhaust, but engine and drivetrain is stock (other than the cone filter lol). The truck still hauls pretty good just has some surface rust and the clear coat is pealing off in alot of places. I replaced the window last night and am putting a straight pipe in the section of exhaust that is missing tonight.

    I am wondering if anyone on this website has some useful information on them and or where I can find the cladding that goes around the bottom of the truck as it is missing 4 pieces of cladding. The interior is good but I am missing the lid to the center arm rest and the shifter plate that tells you if you are in park, drive, reverse yada yada. I have gotten some useful info off the syty website but I have been unable to find cladding replacement pieces.

    Thanks for any and all help.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 03-04-2011 at 08:15 AM.

  2. #2
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    sorry I can't help you but those sy/ty's are bad ass.....you have the potential for a sweet ride on your hands. Good luck getting all the parts together for it. I remember when those came out and wanting one back then. Sharp trucks.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    sorry I can't help you but those sy/ty's are bad ass.....you have the potential for a sweet ride on your hands. Good luck getting all the parts together for it. I remember when those came out and wanting one back then. Sharp trucks.
    I plan of doing the body work this spring and hopefully get it painted asap. I am thinking I will go with a red close to the factory red but with black cladding instead of the original gray.

    As for go fast parts those will come in a year or two. Right now I am just gonna try to maintain the powertrain and work on the body. Mechanically it seems pretty good. I launched it a couple times last night and nothing broke so thats good

  4. #4
    its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Woodlands/spring/houston
    Posts
    2,142

    pewter
    99 trans am

    do it! you will not regret it! street bikes do nothing but depreciate in value usually, and a typhoon is a rare vehicle.....

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    do it! you will not regret it! street bikes do nothing but depreciate in value usually, and a typhoon is a rare vehicle.....
    When i put my biek up for sale i thought i coudl get 4k out of it then i saw 4 other 600rrs that were close in miles but newer year going for under 4k.

    I did trade, drove the truck home on Wednessday. got it registered yesterday and insured. Replaced the window last night. After i put the exhaust on today it should be driveable without any noise complaints and i should be able to hear the radio lol.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 03-04-2011 at 10:05 AM.

  6. #6
    its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Woodlands/spring/houston
    Posts
    2,142

    pewter
    99 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    When i put my biek up for sale i thought i coudl get 4k out of it then i saw 4 other 600rrs that were close in miles but newer year going for under 4k.

    I did trade, drove the truck home on Wednessday. got it registered yesterday and insured. Replaced the window last night. After i put the exhaust on today it should be driveable without any noise complaints and i should be able to hear the radio lol.
    im glad you jumped on it....it truly is a neat vehicle...hows the power feel?

  7. #7
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    New they were @ ~280 (likely under rated) crank.

    The 700r4 is'nt the best trany imho..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif


    Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    im glad you jumped on it....it truly is a neat vehicle...hows the power feel?
    Power feels good, the turbo is basically the same size as my subaru turbo except on a 4.3 liter instead of a 2.5 and by 2krpms that thing is screaming. I am gonna run it against my legacy and see how she stands. It kicked sideways a little bit when i launched it last night.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    New they were @ ~280 (likely under rated) crank.

    The 700r4 is'nt the best trany imho..
    Yea but atleast the 700r4 can be built to handle some power for not an insane price. My subarus auto tranmission would cost 5k to be able to handle 400whp.

  10. #10
    Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Henryetta/Tulsa Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,483

    Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

    Good trade! I had a co-worker who had one, and I've seen a few around here. Very few. Get some pics up when you can!

    2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Wifey's Grocery Getter
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    Good trade! I had a co-worker who had one, and I've seen a few around here. Very few. Get some pics up when you can!
    I will take some pics this weekend after I clean it a little( it was previously titled in NJ so there is probably alot of hair gel and tanning oil under the seats) and get my storage spot in the garage ready.

  12. #12
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Yea but atleast the 700r4 can be built to handle some power for not an insane price. My subarus auto tranmission would cost 5k to be able to handle 400whp.
    You would have to imo..

    I've murdered 700r4's behind 2.8 v6's..

    Pulling a car dolly had one drop second gear in my 87 heavy half ton 350..

    In my 89 3/4 with 1ton axles 350 also....

    Buddy of mine was on his forth rebuild when his last one shit the bed..

    He was pulling a bellow rating trailer when it dropped 3rd (or drive) like it was put into neutral @ 55 mph while on the gas...lol

    Nice find for sure.. May you have better luck than I with the 700r4..

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    You would have to imo..

    I've murdered 700r4's behind 2.8 v6's..

    Pulling a car dolly had one drop second gear in my 87 heavy half ton 350..

    In my 89 3/4 with 1ton axles 350 also....

    Buddy of mine was on his forth rebuild when his last one shit the bed..

    He was pulling a bellow rating trailer when it dropped 3rd (or drive) like it was put into neutral @ 55 mph while on the gas...lol

    Nice find for sure.. May you have better luck than I with the 700r4..
    Well maybe it will be a good learning experience. I have done rebuilds on t-56s, t-5s and two t-3650s but never an auto trans. I know a couple guys with 10/11 second GNs dont they use the same 700r4? My buddys house is 15 feet away from there shop. But its not really the drivetrain I am worried about. Its all common GM parts its the trim and body work as alot of the interior peices and body cladding are ty/sy specific. Not to mention i can pul lrear ends, trannys, engines, transfer cases all day no problem but I am def a novice when it comes to body work.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 03-04-2011 at 02:41 PM.

  14. #14
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Well maybe it will be a good learning experience. I have done rebuilds on t-56s, t-5s and two t-3650s but never an auto trans. I know a couple guys with 10/11 second GNs dont they use the same 700r4? My buddys house is 15 feet away from there shop
    Bop used the Buick Metric iirc rather than 700r4..

    I'd have to look to be sure lol..

    I have also seen built ones hold power as well, just stock they leave much to be desired...

    I'm sure someone makes the pieces you need for the body tho..

    Could even take them off do the body repairs and leave it sleeper style..

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Bop used the Buick Metric iirc rather than 700r4..

    I'd have to look to be sure lol..

    I have also seen built ones hold power as well, just stock they leave much to be desired...

    I'm sure someone makes the pieces you need for the body tho..

    Could even take them off do the body repairs and leave it sleeper style..
    Lol nah i like the cladding. Otherwise it will look like a jimmy that someone put a syclone engine in.

  16. #16
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    I remember coming up against a Syclone at a light back in the day when they were new (early 90's?) and asking myself "WTF is that!" I was in the 67 with the 454 in it. He blipped the throttle and I blipped mine. We hit it on the green and he raped me across the intersection (2 6 lane streets). I gave up at that point (being on the street and all). I watched as smoke came from all 4 tires! I was as embarrased as I had ever been.

    When I got home I asked my room mate about it (he worked for SRP at the time). That's when he clued me in on what it was. I believe they only made about 3,000 or so of them.
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

    2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

    2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

    Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

  17. #17
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I remember coming up against a Syclone at a light back in the day when they were new (early 90's?) and asking myself "WTF is that!" I was in the 67 with the 454 in it. He blipped the throttle and I blipped mine. We hit it on the green and he raped me across the intersection (2 6 lane streets). I gave up at that point (being on the street and all). I watched as smoke came from all 4 tires! I was as embarrased as I had ever been.

    When I got home I asked my room mate about it (he worked for SRP at the time). That's when he clued me in on what it was. I believe they only made about 3,000 or so of them.
    The Typhoon and Syclone are/were not always the same engine either..

    Sometimes the Syclone came with the last of (pre 3800-I) the bop 3.8's..

    They may even be one of Buicks "pinked" motors..

    Have to say, not huge fan of the 4.3..

    Should have left it a 350 imho..

  18. #18
    Member RONS98TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MARYLAND
    Age
    44
    Posts
    803

    BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

    You got a great deal. Trading a easy to come by bike for a very rare truck. Those things with a little bit of tweaking can be a serious beast.

  19. #19
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Nice find! Get some pics when you get er cleaned up.
    2004 SILVER CTS-V sittin on H&R Springs / KOOKS 1-7/8 LTH's/Corsa Cat-Back/COMP CUSTOM GRIND CAM(.613/.620)/TRICK FLOW HEADS

    TUNED BY RACE PROVEN MOTORSPORTS

    R.I.P. 505 RWHP PROCHARGED 98 SS

  20. #20
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    I had a sweet 30,000 mile 92 Typhoon that I sold a few years ago.

    Goodluck finding the cladding around the bottom, that's been discontinued for a long time now, as well as the decals. You might find used pieces here and there but even that is scarce. Just not many syty parts floating around, they made so few of these to begin with. I don't mean to discourage you, but it's better to find one complete. Just about everthing on these trucks were particular to the syty, interior, wheels, outside trim, driveline etc.....

    You don't have to worry about the 700R4's in these, they are particular to these trucks. No other vehicle got a 700 like the syty's did. They have particular valvebodies in them, they already bang from the factory like a shift kit, the 3-4 clutch pack is different, (extra clutches) .500 boost valve, the converter is also different. They are pretty stout 700's for their day.
    For the record, the buick GN's got the 2004R's.
    The only real weak link in the driveline you'll find is the front prop shaft. There is a company (name escapes me) that makes a heavy duty prop shaft to hold up to 600 whp. About ~$300 when I bought mine a few years ago.
    I also ran Banks exhaust on mine, they sold a nice catback just for syty's, but again that's been a few years.
    You'll also find the front intercooler water pumps tend to go out, I upgraded mine to a larger bilge pump for a boat to move more water. You can find them at the local boat stores fairly easy. There is also a little trick you can do with the ground wire for the pump. I ran mine through a rocker switch mounted under the dash, so I could run the intercooler pump full time if I wanted, rather than temp activated.
    There are also small scoops made to mount under the intercooler to direct air to it. I made my own.

    I had a blast in that little ty. Used to rape C4 vettes all the time with it,,,never failed to piss them off 99% of the time people didn't even know what it was.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 03-05-2011 at 06:00 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help: gmc typhoon help
    By rob2000gt in forum GM Trucks
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-26-2013, 07:32 PM
  2. Help: Typhoon vs Factory LS6?
    By alank1953 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-09-2009, 09:32 PM
  3. typhoon intake 17.7 more hp than ls6???
    By tbias in forum External Engine
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-28-2008, 08:26 AM
  4. typhoon or ls6?
    By Jays00ss in forum External Engine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-05-2007, 04:50 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •