Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

So I need to buy my first tool set......

This is a discussion on So I need to buy my first tool set...... within the Tools forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Quote: Originally Posted by korndawg I wasn't arguiing the fact that he should buy snap-on or mac. If u actually ...

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote:
    Originally Posted by korndawg
    I wasn't arguiing the fact that he should buy snap-on or mac. If u actually read the post's your have read that I was arguing the statement that "a wrench is a wrench" and "a chrome socket is a chrome socket"............
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Look, a 1/4" or 3/8" chrome socket from sears is the same as a chrome socket from snapon. When you start getting into IMPACT socket's, it changes. Craftsman wrench's are just shorter. Sure, you cant go to sears and buy a 2 inch wrench. But go to a flea market or Harbor Freight. All my IMPACT sockets are Armstrong (matco just so you know) or IR. IR sells the same damn IMPACT socket grade as any bullshit Snap on for half the price. Price them out, IR is WAY cheaper and makes a damn good IMPACT socket. Matco sells Armstrong impact sockets. Huh, I went and bought my 3/4 drive impact Armstrong online for a 1/3 of the price. If you think for a second buying off those trucks what you can get online is a deal.... then your ignorant. Those trucks mark there prices up 25 %. There are the same grade/quality tools out there that dont have to say Snap On or Matco. Some people just dont try to research before they buy.
    And the tools war begins again...
    As a pro auto technician I thought I should way in on the subject. "A wrench is a wrench" and "a chrome socket is a chrome socket" just isn't true.
    Most Craftsman stuff is excellent even for daily professional use and a great investment for the home hobbyist. I highly recommend nothing less.
    None the less, when you need to get serious about breaking stuff loose and serious tool abuse in a fast paced flat rated auto shop, you need to step up certain tools to the premium Mac, Matco, and (yes unfortunatly) Snap-on. Even between the premium brands you get some crap.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

^---as a former pro auto tech at a fast paced flat rate shop i agree 100%.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

yeah,i bought some pry bars from harbor freight and they do well.

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    And the tools war begins again...
    As a pro auto technician I thought I should way in on the subject. "A wrench is a wrench" and "a chrome socket is a chrome socket" just isn't true.
    Most Craftsman stuff is excellent even for daily professional use and a great investment for the home hobbyist. I highly recommend nothing less.
    None the less, when you need to get serious about breaking stuff loose and serious tool abuse in a fast paced flat rated auto shop, you need to step up certain tools to the premium Mac, Matco, and (yes unfortunatly) Snap-on. Even between the premium brands you get some crap.
    Thanks for your thoughts..............

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    If your just doing basic maintence a simple set from sears will do the trick and when they break you just take them back in for a return.
    Just a tid bit, Snap-on, Stanley, Craftsman, all made by the same company, The only difference is theres a cool guy that drives a cool truck that says snap-on and comes to your place of business.
    All have the same quality, if you use your tools like there suppose to be used they will last a good long while, Ie a screw driver to remove screws and not used as a pry bar..
    Iv been working on cars and trucks for years, even in combat, iv got tools from every company you can imagine and they all perform about The same.
    Just my 02
    J
    I did not know that thanks for the advice.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

All my 3/4" impact sockets are Armstrong. Funny, Matco sells them. If I need a a set of 1/4" drive sockets... I will not buy off the big three. A set of craftsman 1/4 drive sockets will do the same damn thing. When are you ever putting serious TQ on a 1/4" drive socket. Thats great if you are a "ASE MECHANIC". I think I know about "getting serious" about breaking stuff loose. Come work at Caterpillar for 1 month. You dont HAVE to buy off the big 3's pretty trucks for a higher grade tool is what Im saying. Wrench's 15/16 and smaller work the same. My Craftsman 15/16 does me just as well as my Matco. There are very few tools you HAVE to buy off those over-priced trucks.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Unhappy

If I need a a set of 1/4" drive sockets... I will not buy off the big three. A set of craftsman 1/4 drive sockets will do the same damn thing. When are you ever putting serious TQ on a 1/4" drive socket.
    I agreed and thats why all my chrome sockets (1/4, 3/8, 1/2 drive) are craftsman. We definitely have some common ground here.

Thats great if you are a "ASE MECHANIC". I think I know about "getting serious" about breaking stuff loose. Come work at Caterpillar for 1 month. You dont HAVE to buy off the big 3's pretty trucks for a higher grade tool is what Im saying.
    I've consider working on Cats before, there is a Cat repair shop right next door to us. Looks like fun. But I can tell it must be a completely different world then what I do. You know what tools you need to do your job and I know what tools I need to do mine. I've come across situations where my craftsman tools aren't gonna cut it, so I upgraded to one of the big 3.
    Wrench's 15/16 and smaller work the same. My Craftsman 15/16 does me just as well as my Matco. There are very few tools you HAVE to buy off those over-priced trucks.
    If you compare the craftsman professional series to the matco wrenches, then yes they are about the same. The reg craftsman wrenches are also very good, but they are shorter. The longer pro wrenches (craftsman, Matco, Mac, Snap-on) don't beat up your hands as much, because its easier to break stuff loose and get stuff nice and tight.
    I've also used lesser quality wrenches than Craftsman and a) then tend to be even shorter b) they wear out and round off bolts/nuts c) they don't grip slightly rounded bolts/nuts in a side by side comparision to higher quality wrenches. Thats just my experience. I'm not trying to be some cocky ASE blah blah blah.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

. The reg craftsman wrenches are also very good, but they are shorter. The longer pro wrenches (craftsman, Matco, Mac, Snap-on) don't beat up your hands as much, because its easier to break stuff loose and get stuff nice and tight.
    I've also used lesser quality wrenches than Craftsman and a) then tend to be even shorter b) they wear out and round off bolts/nuts c) they don't grip slightly rounded bolts/nuts in a side by side comparision to higher quality wrenches. Thats just my experience. I'm not trying to be some cocky ASE blah blah blah.
    That right there, is THE difference. I agree 100%. Sometimes, it really does make all the difference in the world having that extra few inchs of wrench(insert funny pervert pun here) and thats where the craftsman falls short. But at the same time, a Craftsman wrench is fatter compared to the very skinny/slim design of Snap On. I find myself wrapping a rag around the Snap on wrench often to protect my hands. Pros and Cons.

Dont go work at Cat. Driving the machines is so much fun, working on them.... is NOT. Plus, you need BIG tools. That cost BIG money's.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Dont go work at Cat. Driving the machines is so much fun, working on them.... is NOT.
    Yeah that looks like fun. The Cat shop next door has a big ass dirt pile and I see the guys digging at it, driving up it, and bulldozing it over. I assumed they are testing the equipment at they repair it and thats looks like fun.
    My Bro is a Cat electrical engineer and he got me and his buds into the Cat Peoria Proving Grounds. That was neat! They have this huge, steep hill that they used to roll machines end over end down the hill to test the roll cages I guess. It was a popular event and the even built a grandstand of bleachers nearby for everybody to watch.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Yeah that looks like fun. The Cat shop next door has a big ass dirt pile and I see the guys digging at it, driving up it, and bulldozing it over. I assumed they are testing the equipment at they repair it and thats looks like fun.
    My Bro is a Cat electrical engineer and he got me and his buds into the Cat Peoria Proving Grounds. That was neat! They have this huge, steep hill that they used to roll machines end over end down the hill to test the roll cages I guess. It was a popular event and the even built a grandstand of bleachers nearby for everybody to watch.
    Yea, we have a Test Hill. That is probably one of the coolest jobs I have been assigned ever. One time my boss told me tol go drive a 730 dump truck and "Try to blow it up". Didnt tell me anything more then to just go beat the living piss out of it and stall the converter. I did beat that dumptruck to piss, I didnt blow it up, but it did have a very unusual "clunk" and whine when I was done. Other then that kinda stuff, Cat sucks.

Black
    02 T/A WS6

so other than arguing about what tool is best can some people throw some links up on good priced sets. Both my brothers use the top brands. I don't care, I just a good set , tired of bortowing tools LOL

White
    2001 SS #3504

Want a good deal??? Starting on April 25-May 24 Matco is Having a buy one get one free sale. buy a 3/8 59 pc 6point Silver Eagle set and get a 1/4 50pc silver eagle set for free. these are the chrome style socket sets. Both for 229.95 this is just one of the buy one get one free sales comming up.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    Do it yourselfers dont need mac and snap on tools unless they wanna spend the money. But anybody that tells me that a craftsman open end wrench is as good as the premium brands has never had to do alignments before on tie rod nuts that are tight as fuck or a multitude of other things. Craftsman wrenches last and have a good warranty but they also strip and round shit off too. For professional auto techs theres reason to buy the premium shit.

But for murder, go to either sears or www.harborfreight.com
    Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    i will go as far as to say that craftsman ratchets fuckin suck though. They are imprecise as hell and the teeth inside arent fine enough and they break. A week and the seal for ratchet head is leaking. Fuck craftsman ratchets. I love my snap on ratchets. my 3/8 snap on ratchet is over 25 yrs old and works like its brand new. I've gone through at least 5 or 6 craftsman 3/8s in 7 yrs
    +1

i am 100% with you. for certain things, if you do real mechanic work, you need to have some quality stuff. i LOVE my snap-on ratchets, worth every penny. dont get me wrong, i have my share of craftsman stuff too, but for certain tools, ratchets, wrenches, torque wrenches, micrometers, etc, you need to buy top shelf. but if your plan is to tinker around under the hood or around your house, craftsman tools will suit you just fine. but like 10stanger says, if your gonna do alot of alignments and such, cant go wrong with a set of snap-on flank drives.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

also, if you ever wanna upgrade to snap-on matco, mac, cornwell, etc, every tool guy ive ever dealt with will usually give you what you paid for your craftsman tools on trade toward new tools. so either way its not like youre wasting money. you can always upgrade if you feel it necessary.

Bright Red
    1999 Camaro SS

I use Sears Craftsman because they have a good warranty. Most do but some you have to send off and wait on replacement or wait for the tool guy to come around. Sears you take in a broke one and walk out with a new one in most cases. They are generally fair priced. For just some off the wall stuff that you really don't use much or plan on abusing try Northern or harbor.

Black
    02 T/A WS6

just bought a 260 piece for$200 at sears....I can tell the ratchets will break right of the bat, np Was plannin on getting some better stuff along the way. Good starter set though :P

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Th3unwant3d1 View Post
    just bought a 260 piece for$200 at sears....I can tell the ratchets will break right of the bat, np Was plannin on getting some better stuff along the way. Good starter set though :P
    how can you tell that. i've had a craftsman set for 5 years now with now problems. Im not a tech, but they get used quite often. including three motor swaps, 1 motor build, many clutches, crap ton os suspension stuff. all with no problems.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

My wife bought me a nice set of craftsman for x-mas about 10 years ago. I've done a slew of brake jobs, heads/cam swap, exhaust a bunch of times, tranny's, and a billion other things with that set. My rachet isn't as precise as it used to be but it has hammer marks on the handle from me beating on it to break bolts loose. I'll take it back and get a brand new one when I feel I need one.
    Unless you're going to work on cars for a living you don't need anything other than craftsman. I've done a ton of work for myself and others with this 1 set in the last 10 years.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

For a ratcher... I love my Matco fine tooth extra long 1/2". Will agree, Big 3 ratchets shine over the CM etc.

Black
    02 T/A WS6

I say that because the quick release button and switch is made of plastic....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information