Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

So I need to buy my first tool set......

This is a discussion on So I need to buy my first tool set...... within the Tools forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by korndawg Oh, your right, they are spendy as hell and if anyone just needs to buy a ...

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by korndawg View Post
    Oh, your right, they are spendy as hell and if anyone just needs to buy a basic set is dumb to spend that much. Mac/Snap-On are for pro's, not for beginners/hobbyists. But to say they aren't better and that a 'wrench is a wrench', is pretty far out there. Quality costs money.
    True that I work on bus and broke craftsmen rachets all the time 1/4 and 3/8 mostly 1/4 inch I own snap on rachets and love them older craftsmen rachets where better in my opinion

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

craftsman FTMFW, railcar mechanic/fabricator here, i find for things like clamps, pry bars, and measuring tools there really is no need to go with the top brands, but for everything else if you are going to use the tools all the time and are serious about your work then go craftsman etc.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Walmart has a badass toolkit ive been using to take to junkyards/ fix stranded cars/work on all my junk at home for a long time.

its like 30 bucks and has all kinds of random crap.

Ive used the impact too with some of it hoping to see shit explode but its tough. I cannot see spending a fuckton of money on tools unless their craftsman(warranty) Now there is problably 200k worth of tools in our shop from Mac, Snap-on, craftsman, blackhawk and the other good companies but I cannot justify why you would buy something expensive like that when they WILL break, get screwed up and dirty.

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

The only tool i'd buy at walmart is a hammer. I got some cheap-ass sockets from them and stripped em out putting my tv stand together. Thats quality, let me tell ya

'69 Camaro

The only tool i'd buy at walmart is a hammer. I got some cheap-ass sockets from them and stripped em out putting my tv stand together. Thats quality, let me tell ya
    Absolutely true! I shattered a socket while loosening the lugnuts on a buddies truck a while back. Either the tools are crap or I'm related to the Hulk

'69 Camaro

Definitely check out Kmart's Craftsman section. I work their part time and am always picking through the tool section and right now my stores got a ton of crap on clearance.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Personally, I like using Snap on since that is what I was able to use as a kid (father's tools). Now that I am buying them for myself they are just to pricey for me especially since I do not make my living with my tools.

Most of what I buy I just go to Pep boys and buy there cheapy stuff, especially for things like sockets. You still get a lifetime warranty and they are much cheaper than buying the more popular brands.

There are a few things that I will buy that is more name brand like my screwdrivers (because they do get used as prys and I will break them) and I prefer the higher end wrenches since they have better bite and don't tend to slip and strip out bolts. Of course for most of what I do the cheap stuff I have works just fine. I also don't skimp around on my torque wrenches either since I want those to be accurate, I have a couple that are made from Proto since I have used them before and I liked them (got them cheap off of ebay and plan on just getting them recalibrated once I need them for something other than lugnuts).

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

I buy Craftsman by the large cardboard box. Never hurts to have doubles either and you can never have enough tools! LOL That way I dont have to stop in the middle of a job to return a broken tool. I save up my broken Craftsmens in a seperate spot in my tool chests. Then (If I think about it) return them all at once. However I'm not real happy with the lazer embossed sockets from Craftsman. I had a set that was loosing the chrome from just rolling around in the tool chest. Now I try to stick to the sets that have the sizes stamped into the socket. I'd have to look but I think my largest metric socket sets goes to 36 or 38mm. And to 3 in. on the sae sets. The better tools do come from those other companies (snap-on, mac) but I do pretty good with craftsman tools. I've busted tools from just about every company though. They ALL can leave ya swearin' and a bleedin' LOL
    Last edited by Smittro; 04-11-2009 at 05:57 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

If the chrome is peeling u can return it chrome can cut the crap out of you I just return my 9/16 socket and 7/16 wrench from snap on because of that reason and if I pay high dollar for the tools it better stay on there

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Flea market.....you can get just about any brand cheap fom people cleaning out thier garages.

I've got Snap-On, Matco, SK-Wayne, Proto, Jap shit, you name it

Black
    '98 Z28

If you want to get a great set of tools for working on the car the 145 piece set is the best. It has a wider range of sockets than any other set. Obviously, not including the 300-400 piece sets. You don't get all the bullshit little pieces that make filler. The 145 piece set is all sockets and wrenches.

It's not on sale very much, but when it is, it's a great deal.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...nics+Tool+Sets

Oh, and I used to work at Sears. Trust me, this is the best set for the price.

Here's another 145 peice set with a little bit better price.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...nics+Tool+Sets
    Last edited by tpilews; 04-11-2009 at 08:56 AM.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Craftsman. Not the best, but when you can break it and get a new one no problem they are the best FOR ME. Snap On, Matco and SK make amazing tools but I'm not rich.

Im all for buying the cheap set. I will never turn a wrench enough to break one.

blue point

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Do it yourselfers dont need mac and snap on tools unless they wanna spend the money. But anybody that tells me that a craftsman open end wrench is as good as the premium brands has never had to do alignments before on tie rod nuts that are tight as fuck or a multitude of other things. Craftsman wrenches last and have a good warranty but they also strip and round shit off too. For professional auto techs theres reason to buy the premium shit.

But for murder, go to either sears or www.harborfreight.com

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

i will go as far as to say that craftsman ratchets fuckin suck though. They are imprecise as hell and the teeth inside arent fine enough and they break. A week and the seal for ratchet head is leaking. Fuck craftsman ratchets. I love my snap on ratchets. my 3/8 snap on ratchet is over 25 yrs old and works like its brand new. I've gone through at least 5 or 6 craftsman 3/8s in 7 yrs

2000 Trans Am

Oh, your right, they are spendy as hell and if anyone just needs to buy a basic set is dumb to spend that much. Mac/Snap-On are for pro's, not for beginners/hobbyists. But to say they aren't better and that a 'wrench is a wrench', is pretty far out there. Quality costs money.
    As the original poster stated he is looking for his "First tool set"............
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Wow thanks for all the responses guys, you all have been helpful

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    As the original poster stated he is looking for his "First tool set"............
    I wasn't arguiing the fact that he should buy snap-on or mac. If u actually read the post's your have read that I was arguing the statement that "a wrench is a wrench" and "a chrome socket is a chrome socket"............

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

also check out local pawn shops,used tools but you never know what you will find for dirt cheap. craftsman tools are great,but i wouldn't trade my 3/8 snap on long ratchet for anything craftsman,but i used it a hell of a lot more when i worked for ford.as far a sockets go,if you use impact sockets often,spend the money and buy premium,i bought some impact sockets from home depot,huskey i think,they broke in half 3 months after purchase.sucks to have your fingers cut by a impact socket,bought some from mac,never broke again.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information