Thread: Ramps

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Ramps

I want to get some ramps for basic maintenance. I have a pair of 3 ton jack stands for the rear. Do you think 2 ton ramps will be safe, or should I go with heavier ones? I'm not getting under this thing until I feel safe that it will not land on my head! :P

heavier

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

heavier...and good luck jack and ramp searching. its like trial and error so far with my car; the only jack that had enough clearance (minus the one with the car) broke within like the 3rd day i used it.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Maybe I'm wrong here, but doesn't an F-Body only weigh about 3500 lbs? And aren't ramps always rated under by a ton for safety regulations? I'd say you should be fine on the 2 ton ramps, my ramps are 4500 lb (2.25 ton) and they support the car fine...the tires just don't fit on them...

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

The 2 ton would be safe but sometimes bigger is better. Like stated above the tires just will not fit. A jack and a set of jack stangs is the way to go. Much more useful and can be used for brakes or whatever. I bought a 3 ton jack and jack stands for $125.00 at the Tractor SUpply Company.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Thanks for the opinions guys - I have a jack and jack stands already. Just wanting the ramps so I can lift the whole car quicker. I want to make myself familiar wiht the underside of the car. Potentially I will put in a new exhaust...

Good point about the tires. my local Checker doesn't even have ramps at all!

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Quote Originally Posted by kemp
    Thanks for the opinions guys - I have a jack and jack stands already. Just wanting the ramps so I can lift the whole car quicker. I want to make myself familiar wiht the underside of the car. Potentially I will put in a new exhaust...

Good point about the tires. my local Checker doesn't even have ramps at all!
    And to drive the car on ramps normally you have to use boards to drive on and then onto ramps cause our cars are so long and low on the nose.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I went out and picked up some rhino ramps from chinazone about 6 months ago and so far so good. I mean i didnt have any clearance issues just make sure when backing off the ramps go slow. I use it for my 91 camaro and my 01 ss and they work great for oil changes and i even used them when i put in my lt and ory.
    only paid like 30 bucks for the pair.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

I know I searched high and low and there is a guy over in England do a google search for restoration ramps. Pretty neat idea, too bad no one makes them like this here in the states - safety concerns probably considering how suit happy some people get. They look safe as can be - if used properly. If you had access to some heavy duty steel and knew how to weld real good - I'd say fabricate a pair for self use. I however have don't have steel or welding knowledge but I'd love to learn - I'm going to ask the neighbor to teach me. He's got it all including cnc machine - lucky. Some people have all the toys metal lathes bandsaws cnc machines welders - not much he can't accomplish over there.

Thread Information