Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Question Question about this tool set.

Would this include everything to work on car's bikes and do things around the house?

Professional Mechanic's Tool Set - 301 Piece

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Depends on what you're trying to do on a car or around the house. It'll do quite a bit of things. Somethings you'll still need tools not included though.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I would take this - Craftsman 309-Piece Mechanic's Tool Set: Love Your Job at Sears in lieu of the Pittsburgh set.

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Depends on what you're trying to do on a car or around the house. It'll do quite a bit of things. Somethings you'll still need tools not included though.
    I'm trying to to basic to mid level repairs, also how's the quality of pittsburgh tools?

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I would take this - Craftsman 309-Piece Mechanic's Tool Set: Love Your Job at Sears in lieu of the Pittsburgh set.
    Man that looks like a awesome deal....how much better is the craftsman set quality wise?

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

The warranty alone is enough to trump the harbor freight stuff. As a general rule, harbor freight is a good place to spend half as much money on tools that are 1/10th the quality of what you should have bought in the first place. Not ALWAYS true, but most of the time it is the case. We have a few tools from their collection in our arsenal, however, it's the oddball stuff you don't use but once every year or two.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Good looking set of tools. I personally have picked up craftsman from most yard sales I visit. Got one broke, took it to Sears for a free replacement. Recently I've been getting kobold on sale but wouldn't have an issue with a Pittsburgh if there was a harbor freight close by

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    ^^
    This.....

blue
    1999 TransAm

...one thing i've learned about tools, ...is you never have enough!

...that should be a good base to build from, ...i'd also go for a sturdy tool chest of drawers to organize them in... also, you'll probably enjoy having a torque wrench or two...

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

I've been a toolmaker for the past 28 years. I bought this solid oak tool chest in 1985 for $521.00, and then proceeded to fill it with over $3k worth of precision tools like swiss made indicators and american made micrometers that are needed in the tool trade.

I have a roll around Craftsman chest in my garage full of Craftsman tools....

I personally do not like the Chinese made Harbor Frieght stuff.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ All this pretty much sums it up. Craftsman are lifetime warranty tools and are going to be of a higher quality than the Pittsburgh set. Like Zap said, for things that you don't utilize on a frequent basis, I'll spend a lot less at Harbor Freight for a tool than for Craftsman, Mac, Snap-On or the like. Then, if it should break, it's not really a big deal and I am still saving $$ if I have to buy another one. Stuff I have from Harbor Freight - center punches, drifts, media tumbler, inspection camera, stepped drill bits...

white
    99 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight View Post
    Would this include everything to work on car's bikes and do things around the house?

Professional Mechanic's Tool Set - 301 Piece
    Like the others have said, start with a quality set from craftsmen or snap on. It's worth the extra couple of dollars upfront. The craftsmen set I started with over 20 years ago is still the base of my tool set. I've replaced the screw drivers, used as prybars, and the ratchets, that were way over torqued using cheater bars, for free at any sears store with no questions asked.

The only place i'd carry one of the off brand sets of tools is maybe the trunk of the car or truck for occasional use while on the road. I'd never consider them for a home use set.

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    ...one thing i've learned about tools, ...is you never have enough!

...that should be a good base to build from, ...i'd also go for a sturdy tool chest of drawers to organize them in... also, you'll probably enjoy having a torque wrench or two...
    Quote Originally Posted by LimeNine View Post
    I've been a toolmaker for the past 28 years. I bought this solid oak tool chest in 1985 for $521.00, and then proceeded to fill it with over $3k worth of precision tools like swiss made indicators and american made micrometers that are needed in the tool trade.
    Click for full size

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo99ta View Post
    Like the others have said, start with a quality set from craftsmen or snap on. It's worth the extra couple of dollars upfront. The craftsmen set I started with over 20 years ago is still the base of my tool set. I've replaced the screw drivers, used as prybars, and the ratchets, that were way over torqued using cheater bars, for free at any sears store with no questions asked.

The only place i'd carry one of the off brand sets of tools is maybe the trunk of the car or truck for occasional use while on the road. I'd never consider them for a home use set.

Ok guys the craftsman seems like the better buy, any advice on tool boxes

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Stay away from lower-line stuff. My dad bought a real nice Kobalt setup last year and it's been a great box. It's one level below the top of the line (we didn't need a car stereo and speakers in our toolbox...) We don't use it every day, but it doesn't fall apart every time we use it either.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I've had one almost identical to this for several years and it functions just like the day I got it.

Rolling Tool Cart w/ 5 Drawers

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by LimeNine View Post
    Click for full size

that's a real gem there!

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

I have lots of money wrapped up in tools, and from what I learned over the years is you get what you pay for. As far as hand tools go I wouldn't waste your money one harbor freight tools, I had sockets blow apart first time using them. Craftsman is a lot better but it seems their quality had gone down with in the last 5 or so years. I'm so use to using Snap-On, Matco and other top of the line tools it's hard for me to go back to using the cheaper stuff. But for what you are doing and to get a nice tool set started my vote would be for the craftsman set, that is what I started with and slowly upgraded over the years.

This is the box I have in my garage now and its just about full.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Some small tool sets in this thread lol

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

That 309 peice is good, I bought it but just remember a lot of those are 12 pt only. You'll still end up having to buy 6pt on some. And I spent damn near 100 bucks on socket racks for all of those lol. Craftsman is also sold out to china now, if you go in and look. More than half the stuff I'm there no longer says made in USA. I have their torque wrenches and man I shoulda saved the money for a snap on.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I buy almost everything from Harbor Freight. I haven't had anything break yet...*crosses fingers*, oh except a t10 or t20 broke. I walked in there and showed them it. They didn't have what I wanted to replace it so I told them how much the set cost and as long as it says pittsburgh they will replace it, so I picked out a 3 piece set which had 2 full allen wrench sets and a T set because it was the same price.

Their ratcheting wrenches are a must, for things like the dipstick bolt for us automatic guys lol

If I was a mechanic it'd be different, but harbor freight works for me...

Thread Information