Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Kobalt Mini Die Grinder/Polisher

This is a discussion on Kobalt Mini Die Grinder/Polisher within the Tools forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; It's only 25 bucks?!? Hell, I'm gonna have to pick one up...look's pretty handy and that's a really low price! ...

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

It's only 25 bucks?!? Hell, I'm gonna have to pick one up...look's pretty handy and that's a really low price! Thanks for posting this!

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

heres a definately awesome polishing kit to get to compliment this kobalt:

I just picked it up at harbor freight tools for 20 bucks, but if you dont have one of those in your area you can order it from eastwood for 25. I haven't confirmed running it in the kobalt yet, but all the buffs are 1/4" shafts so it should be perfect!

also, i wanted to add that make sure you have a decent size compressor if you're gonna run the kobalt extensively (like on wheels). I tried running it on my portable compressor (not sure of the size) and she couldn't keep up with this little feller!

tested this kit with the kobalt and it fits fine!! used the round bob with the white rouge in the kobalt (even powered it with my smaller portable compressor) and worked awesome!! my wheels are pretty nasty too (very hazy and brake dust stained) and it buffed my test spot to an almost-chrome shine with little effort!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

both of those are on my list. Next time I'm in Columbus ( there's a harbor freight there) I'm picking up the kit and swinging by lowes for the die grinder.

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Kobalt is my favorite as well

Click for full size
    tools in the house!

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    both of those are on my list. Next time I'm in Columbus ( there's a harbor freight there) I'm picking up the kit and swinging by lowes for the die grinder.
    definately! . . . i'm gonna try to get at least a couple wheels completely polished tonite and ill let ya guys know how some extensive use works out! this is gonna give me a chance to try out this eagle one brake dusk repellent, see how it works on prolongin a polished shine (prob not worth jack ) u guys have any ideas/products to help protect the shine or at least allow for a little bit of an easier wash off? (prob just need to get some new ceramics cuz my pads blow)

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I just use black magic metal polish on my chrome wheels. Mine gets washed so often during the summer that brake dust never builds up.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I just use black magic metal polish on my chrome wheels. Mine gets washed so often during the summer that brake dust never builds up.
    hmm ill try that. . . i wash my wheels every week . . . my brake dust just doesnt come off easy, in part because the wheels need a good polishing. im thinkin it is crappy pads, because ive not change pads yet. . . just have the ones that where on when i bought the car

ok so heres an update on the kobalt and the kit. i spent about a total of 2 hrs last nite on one wheel! but i was testin and playin with what buffers worked the best. the smaller buffs seem to be what to start with but dont over do it. . . they will gum up, especially if you keep em in one area for too long. and after playin with the bigger goblet buffs, i really like the disc shaped ones. these with just mothers polish seemed to work amazing after goin over the worst spots with the smaller buffs and the rouge. the kobalt did good but i couldnt run it very long without stopping and lettin the compressor catch up. so after last nite i have one shhhhhhiiiiny rim but it now has a better shine than what it had brand new!

ran the die grinder on pop's dual motor compressor . . . wooo wee this things a lil beast on it. . . had to to run it about 3/4 "throttle" because i was startin to tear up the buffs. i'm goin back to the parents tonite; and if i get motivated enough, ill finish up polishing these wheels! ill post some pics if i do, so you guys can see what this lil tool can do!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information