white
    2002 z28

is CRAFTSMAN torque wrench lifetime warranty?

someone told me that only these arnt lifetime due to them being calibrated and stuff , but mine is broke it wont engage or anything

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

When I went to have mine warrenty repaired because it broke, they told me the warenty was only good for a year. I trashed the craftsman and bought a S-K brand one. Larger range and hasn't broke in six years.

white
    2002 z28

not what i wanted to hear, but thanks

Black
    1993 3000GT VR-4

I think there lifetime warrenty only applies to hand tools. No specialty or power tools.

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    someone told me that only these arnt lifetime due to them being calibrated and stuff , but mine is broke it wont engage or anything
    They replaced mine with no receipt and no questions. Just told me to go and get a new one. Just take it in and see.

F-Body Enthusiast

Black
    1993 Camaro Z28

I used to work at sears.. As long as you find a new kid or somebody that doesn't care then you are good lol.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

1 year I believe.

Cayenne Red Metallic
    98 Z28

No they are not lifetime, but like someone else said, it depends on who you get. I returned mine to 3 differant locations and finally they replaced it. Not only did they replace it, but they no longer carried the one I had and gave me the best one on the shelf to replace it.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

No lifetime here. My shop (military shop) bought a brand new craftsman ratcheting screwdriver with bits. The end broke where the bit goes and they refuse to replace it.

Mine broke in 2 yrs. Crapsman torque wrench is not that good of quality

White
    2003 Ram 2500

Mine has not been right since the day I bought it. I need to take mine in and see if I can get it replaced.

white
    98 Ram air T/A Ls1/T-56

1 year warranty, but you can have it sent in for repairs, however like most craftsman tools, its just not worth it, they used to be good quality, over the past few years they have gone to the dumper.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Here is a horror story for you...mine was off calibrated, like 20 pounds or more cause I broke a bolt off when overtorqueing that way. I took it to sears, they said it costs more to have it calibrated than it did for a new one. LMAO. Okay, another one, I had a wregular ratchet just bought BRAND NEW, it was the one with the lock on the end of it so the socket can't come off but it broke. Still brand new, first time using it. Took it in, they tried to give me a rusty fucker that was rebuilt out of a box they had. I litterally laughed at the kid. He then got the manager and they went and got me a new one from the shelf. But they had to be coerced. I told them I was going to write a letter to the editor in the news paper. True story! I should have took a pic of the ratchet they wanted to give me, so so so rusty.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

gulp, how do you know if your TQ wrench is off calibration? I snapped a bolt once at somewhere between 70-75lbs, just guess cuz i never made it to 75. I blamed the bolt cuz it twisted versus snapping. Hmm....Can you go somewhere to have it tested?

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

I happened to have my lugnuts torqued at 100lbs. I put it on and it started turning them tighter. I knew it was off. I got three of them though. I calibrated it myself. Not that hard after you figure how to get them apart. I figured screw the end cap off until the spring popped off..but nope, never popped off. Little tricky.

i've had really good luck returning any tools to sears here locally...both my 3/8 and 1/2 in. torque wrenches have been replaced. The 1/2 in. was my fathers that had been down for 10 yrs. or something. Just found someone who looked they wouldnt care, and swapped em' out.

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    Here is a horror story for you...mine was off calibrated, like 20 pounds or more cause I broke a bolt off when overtorqueing that way. I took it to sears, they said it costs more to have it calibrated than it did for a new one. LMAO. Okay, another one, I had a wregular ratchet just bought BRAND NEW, it was the one with the lock on the end of it so the socket can't come off but it broke. Still brand new, first time using it. Took it in, they tried to give me a rusty fucker that was rebuilt out of a box they had. I litterally laughed at the kid. He then got the manager and they went and got me a new one from the shelf. But they had to be coerced. I told them I was going to write a letter to the editor in the news paper. True story! I should have took a pic of the ratchet they wanted to give me, so so so rusty.
    Yeah, they replace ratchets with refurbished ones. I've personally never seen a really rusty one, some have scratches. Most are in great shape. The associates can actually get fired for replacing with brand new ratchets, if he does it enough.

As far as the torque wrenches go, it really helps to keep your receipts. If you have the receipt, they'll be able to see you've had it less than a year, and be more inclined to swap it out for a new one.

Thread Information