wtf!

This is a discussion on wtf! within the Classic Muscle forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Ok so i started my car earlier and noticed the right tailpipe is steamin and the left is not. So ...

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

wtf!

Ok so i started my car earlier and noticed the right tailpipe is steamin and the left is not. So i put my hands in front of each pipe and i can barely feel the drive side puffin. they are y'd at the cat then split...im thinkin a chunk of the cat came apart and lodged in the driver side tailpipe. I dont guesss theres anyway of getting it out short of chopping the exhaust and pushin it out. Any suffestions?

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    02 superchipsZ28 M6(sold)

no exhaust leaks ? then i'd be in the same boat you are

Red
    2001 ws6

ehh.....i wouldnt jump to anything, i started my car last week and noticed the same thing, and im running no cats and a bullet so theres no way anything came apart. our cars just might favor one side, when you give it a little gas does it come out both sides?

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    ehh.....i wouldnt jump to anything, i started my car last week and noticed the same thing, and im running no cats and a bullet so theres no way anything came apart. our cars just might favor one side, when you give it a little gas does it come out both sides?
    well i dont have an ls1 car. im talkin about my old vette. And to answer your question, no they are not flowing the same when i hit the gas. My cat is really old i think, so im wonderin if its comin apart. I recently had a fabbed cat-back with no mufflers installed, and i wonder if that helped out in the deteriorating of the cat.

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    well i dont have an ls1 car. im talkin about my old vette. And to answer your question, no they are not flowing the same when i hit the gas. My cat is really old i think, so im wonderin if its comin apart. I recently had a fabbed cat-back with no mufflers installed, and i wonder if that helped out in the deteriorating of the cat.
    lol, i didnt even look to see what car it was. any funny smells coming from your exhaust?

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    lol, i didnt even look to see what car it was. any funny smells coming from your exhaust?
    just the usual slightly rich smell from the ol 350.....the right side pipe sounds as it should, but the left sounds almost like its sputterin...like somethin is blockin it. i went over some train tracks pretty hard yesterday, im wonderin if it jarred somethin loose in the cat.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Prolly your cat imho..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Uh I would try this first. Since it is Y'd into cat and Y again into 2 I would have someone plug the side that the exhaust is comming out of with thier hands and then see if it starts comming out the other pipe. Also listen for changes in the engine tone while doing this. If nothing comes out then I would check the muffler first to make sure nothing happend to it to cause a clog and then pull it apart and find out what is going on.

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    02 superchipsZ28 M6(sold)

just the usual slightly rich smell from the ol 350.....the right side pipe sounds as it should, but the left sounds almost like its sputterin...like somethin is blockin it. i went over some train tracks pretty hard yesterday, im wonderin if it jarred somethin loose in the cat.
    ah yes a cat (newer ones) will smell like rotten eggs when they go/are going bad.

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    Uh I would try this first. Since it is Y'd into cat and Y again into 2 I would have someone plug the side that the exhaust is comming out of with thier hands and then see if it starts comming out the other pipe. Also listen for changes in the engine tone while doing this. If nothing comes out then I would check the muffler first to make sure nothing happend to it to cause a clog and then pull it apart and find out what is going on.
    i have no mufflers...only a cat....

Impounded
    gmcheviac

unless you're worried about how your clothes smell, the cat is just dead weight in houston. Not required on a 25+ year old car in Texas

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    unless you're worried about how your clothes smell, the cat is just dead weight in houston. Not required on a 25+ year old car in Texas
    yea but i cant get a muffler shop to cut it off. no one will touch it. and i dont have the equipment to do it myself.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

yea but i cant get a muffler shop to cut it off. no one will touch it. and i dont have the equipment to do it myself.
    Sawzall, or hack saw..

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Yep, then they can weld pipe in to close the gap because it didn't arrive with a cat

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

lol yea cut it off and then messure the gap where the cat was and then figure on adding 2 to 3 inches to each side. Now go to the shop and tell them you need a pipe that is X size and X long and you want it flaired to slip on. the extra length you added to the pipe will now slip over the cut ends. Buy some clamps, Install and your done.

Thread Information