Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

who has gone from ols muscle to an LS1?

This is a discussion on who has gone from ols muscle to an LS1? within the Classic Muscle forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I am 20 and I completely agree, You cant explain how awesome they are....

Bright Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans AM

I am 20 and I completely agree, You cant explain how awesome they are.

BLACK & red stripes
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

I had a 1971 Trans Am 455HO w 4speed, original Lucern blue. Bought the car 1983 sold it 1998. When I saw the commercial of the new (98) Trans Am WS-6 I felt in love.
    I love old American muscle cars but I must say the new ones are superior to the old.
    I am very pleased with my 99 TA and I was very pleased with my 71. Ok there is more maintenance work on an old car, like carburetor, ignition and so and so compared to the new one but you doesnít need a PC to trouble shoot the beast

I donít regret the move to new muscle.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28

I wouldnt sell it... KEEP IT.... I know alot of young guys here that love classic muscle .Im 28 and a love classic muscle cars alot more than modern cars. would take a 67,68 camaro, 70 chevelle ss over my 02 Z28 anyday... would love to actually have both classic and modern muscle... I hope to have a 67/68 camaro one day soon in the coming yrs... to put beside the 02

keep it, drive it and love it....
    Last edited by fullthrtle; 01-06-2009 at 05:56 PM.

SOM
    2002 Firebird Formula

I am the opposite. I want to sell (or trade) my Formy to get a '69 chevelle.
    My first car was a '69 SS, bought in 1983 for $1500. I love my Bird but it
    is time to move on. Anybody with a '69 wanna trade???
    Last edited by BirdBryan; 01-06-2009 at 09:24 PM.
    2002 Firebird Formula SOM
    13.30 @ 107 @LVMS
    http://www.bobdogpizza.com

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

All this talk is making me long for the 3 Chevelle's (66 Malibu, 69 Chevelle SS 396 and 72 Malibu) I've had in my life. Back in the day they were just "used cars".

At least I kept 1 67 Camaro for my driving pleasure.....

And I did go from Old School Muscle (my 67 Camaro) to (1st) a 96 Z28 vert then (2nd) the 02 Z28....

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    All this talk is making me long for the 3 Chevelle's (66 Malibu, 69 Chevelle SS 396 and 72 Malibu) I've had in my life. Back in the day they were just "used cars".

At least I kept 1 67 Camaro for my driving pleasure.....

And I did go from Old School Muscle (my 67 Camaro) to (1st) a 96 Z28 vert then (2nd) the 02 Z28....
    Me too! My two Malibu 350's. 15 years of my life as my DD's. This is my first LS1. Very different and I like it. But, I really wish I still had at least one of my Chevelle's

And, bought the first one for $800 and the second for $1500. I was the second owner of that car and got it from a little old lady in Pasadena Her husband passed and she didn't drive so decided to sell it. It was clean and bone stock. Probably should have left it that way too!

Ah well...

Old muscle reminiscing you just never forget

1968 Cutlass 350 auto red
    2000 z-28 6 spd. White

Well I had a 68 cutlass with 350 and um it was kinda slow and I ran it into a curb and bent the frame but she'll be up and running soon hopefully but I don't know why but I like the way it drives better. It feels more solid and I don't know you like sit higher and it's just more comfortable.

Oh and it sounds soooooo much meaner lol

pewter
    99 Trans Am

The old cars have a hold on me, being 55 now I know a little about (old school cars) as they are called these days.Growing up I use to see all the old fast cars and was never able to afford one,but I always had alist of the ones I liked most in my head.I never got those on the list, but I do have a list of old schools,69 chevy truck 385 hp.73 dodge charger 370hp, 77 rs camaro 450hp,99TA almost stock.and a list of daily drivers that my wife drives.I don't make alot of money nor do my wife, but we do good and we get by. I have always worked on my cars and never used house money to do it. The bills always came frist.I have been working on them every since I had them.Truck 30yrs.camaro 25yrs.charger 23yrs. TA 10yrs.Just got the rearend done on the truck 4months ago 373 gears, and got the rearend out of the shop for my camaro yesterday.I like the look on the kids faces when they see the cars in the drive and when they stop and ask how long have I had them and which one is the fastest.They are not show cars but they are well kept.There's nothing like driving and old school with good pipes. The TA have 38,000 miles on it,it stays in the drive most of the time unless I am going out of town and even then we my take my wifes car 2006 Ford 500. Keep the old school cars and have fun.PS They have to be fast The street I live on is called Speed ST.

silver
    1969 Mailbu

Regrets

Its human nature to replace a vehicle for something new, then you kick yourself in the a$$ for years regreting the decision! yeah the old ones dont drive like the new ones and they burn alot of gas ect ect ect! But a nice set of pipes and the head turning rumble of the exhaust -- there is nothing like it! It took me 11 years to relocate my "stupid decision" and 2 years bringing, it back its like it never left, except when you look at the bank account, I am back in love again.

So stupid decisions can be fixed at a cost!

silver
    1969 Mailbu

Quote Originally Posted by fullthrtle View Post
    I wouldnt sell it... KEEP IT.... I know alot of young guys here that love classic muscle .Im 28 and a love classic muscle cars alot more than modern cars. would take a 67,68 camaro, 70 chevelle ss over my 02 Z28 anyday... would love to actually have both classic and modern muscle... I hope to have a 67/68 camaro one day soon in the coming yrs... to put beside the 02

keep it, drive it and love it....
    Buy a old one and repower it, I am. I love the looks of old but the drivability and power of some of the new is additicative 69 Malibu W/04 Magnuson Supercharged LS1! Dont forget the brakes, old ones dont stop well!

Ya thats one reason we have a pair of 4th gens, I prefer to keep the old cars the way they were built and actually prefer to jump in one of those over the 4th gens.
    I'm not a big fan of the big wheel/big brake stuff on the old cars. Some are tastefully done but it's just not for me. I find the old brake systems work just fine, even still have 2 cars with manual 4 wheel drums and manual steering. I'm fine with that.
    If I feel the need for comfort and fuel injection I hop in a 4th gen.

red
    2002 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by JC70SS View Post
    Well I have a 70 SS Chevelle right now. I am also taking delivery of an 01 WS6 6 speed in SOM. I had a 2000 SS h/c/i and I am now thinking of selling the chevelle because I rarely drive it now without the new car. Just wondering do you people REALLY miss the garage queen collectors? I also could use the money for a nice D1SC kit
    why would you ever sell a 70 chevelle?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by henrysangret View Post
    Buy a old one and repower it, I am. I love the looks of old but the drivability and power of some of the new is additicative 69 Malibu W/04 Magnuson Supercharged LS1! Dont forget the brakes, old ones dont stop well!
    You have no idea how tempted I am to go with aftermarket (or C5) front disk brakes on my 67. The reason I don't is that the car came equipped with the factory 4 piston caliper disc brakes. They work good enough but....... I'm sure you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    You have no idea how tempted I am to go with aftermarket (or C5) front disk brakes on my 67. The reason I don't is that the car came equipped with the factory 4 piston caliper disc brakes. They work good enough but....... I'm sure you know what I mean.
    Keep the factory 4 piston brakes. Nowadays it's so easy to spot a fake with a disc brake conversion because no one puts the 4 piston setup on the 67-68 F-bodies. They always go with the single piston setup from 69 on up.

live fast, die young.

metallic blue
    1969 camaro

hey hey... not all of us are from the muscle car era, but that doesnt mean we cant love the cars just as much. im 22 and i dont think theres anything as amazing or has the presence of a badass old muscle car...

i say you get the best of both worlds! swap a modern drivetrain and suspension on the classic body, thats the way to do it.

i have a 69 i purchased and have been fixing up since i was 19. its got a 400HP LT1 and 6 speed along with a modernized suspension. i wouldnt trade it for a modern camaro ever, although the 2010 is sexy as hell

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 69camarokid View Post
    hey hey... not all of us are from the muscle car era, but that doesnt mean we cant love the cars just as much. im 22 and i dont think theres anything as amazing or has the presence of a badass old muscle car...

i say you get the best of both worlds! swap a modern drivetrain and suspension on the classic body, thats the way to do it.

i have a 69 i purchased and have been fixing up since i was 19. its got a 400HP LT1 and 6 speed along with a modernized suspension. i wouldnt trade it for a modern camaro ever, although the 2010 is sexy as hell
    I agree with the youngen..no comparision to the new and the old the brakes and suspension are so much better,i have old muscle cars,the 05 gto I have had 400hp from the factory when did even a big block back in the day have that!
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    I have had 400hp from the factory when did even a big block back in the day have that!

Oh my god are you kidding??? I didn't even think you had to be old to remember this stuff.

65 started the 396/425 hp in the vette (well above 400) and from there the rest is history. There were even 375 HP 396's in 65 but we'll stick to the stuff at 400 and above.
    In 66 you had the first 427/425 hp in the vette.

67 also had the 427/400 hp tri-power in the vette with oval port heads, or you could pony up for the 435 HP version with square port heads. This was also the first year for the L88 427 with 430 HP.
    These engines continued through the 1969 model year.

Also from 67-69 you could get 427/425 HP engines in camaros through a C.O.P.O. (central office production order) some of the early ones were rated at 450 HP although it's the same engine. This could also be had in the 69 chevelle as COPO. Also the 69 Yenko Nova as well had this engine. They also made Yenko camaro's and Yenko chevelle's in 69 with this engine.
    Lets not forget the ZL-1 in the 69 camaro that also was rated at 430 HP.
    Then in 1970 we had the infamous LS6 that everyone should be familiar with, a 454 rated at 450 HP and produced in just over 4,000 chevelle's.

Even in 1971 we still had the LS6 with a compression drop but with aluminum heads this year,,,this time only in the vette and still rated at 425 HP.

All these engine were under rated by the way, and there are plenty of other manufactures that come very close to the 400 HP mark such as Pontiac, Buick and even Ford had many cars rated over 400 HP etc...again very under rated as well. Need I say more????

Lets not forget that if it weren't for these wonderfull muscle cars of years before we wouldn't even have the shit detroit is pumping out now.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-27-2009 at 09:06 AM.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Oh my god are you kidding??? I didn't even think you had to be old to remember this stuff.

65 started the 396/425 hp in the vette (well above 400) and from there the rest is history. There were even 375 HP 396's in 65 but we'll stick to the stuff at 400 and above.
    In 66 you had the first 427/425 hp in the vette.

67 also had the 427/400 hp tri-power in the vette with oval port heads, or you could pony up for the 435 HP version with square port heads. This was also the first year for the L88 427 with 430 HP.
    These engines continued through the 1969 model year.

Also from 67-69 you could get 427/425 HP engines in camaros through a C.O.P.O. (central office production order) some of the early ones were rated at 450 HP although it's the same engine. This could also be had in the 69 chevelle as COPO. Also the 69 Yenko Nova as well had this engine. They also made Yenko camaro's and Yenko chevelle's in 69 with this engine.
    Lets not forget the ZL-1 in the 69 camaro that also was rated at 430 HP.
    Then in 1970 we had the infamous LS6 that everyone should be familiar with, a 454 rated at 450 HP and produced in just over 4,000 chevelle's.

Even in 1971 we still had the LS6 with a compression drop but with aluminum heads this year,,,this time only in the vette and still rated at 425 HP.

All these engine were under rated by the way, and there are plenty of other manufactures that come very close to the 400 HP mark such as Pontiac, Buick and even Ford had many cars rated over 400 HP etc...again very under rated as well. Need I say more????

Lets not forget that if it weren't for these wonderfull muscle cars of years before we wouldn't even have the shit detroit is pumping out now.
    lol i knew id get someones goat,trust me i am 42 i know what muscle i grew up in the 70s and 80 and watched many fast car not even make the 12 second index at the track...with the tires and suspensions those cars had its a wonder they went that fast...like I said i know here one of my cars my 70 monte 540 merlin FI... it only put down 787 to the rear tires on the 8to 1 motor.lol still no comparision to the drivability of the new GTO.

None

Keep the 70 SS!

I use to own a 71 RA3 Goat when I was younger, wish I still had it. It was not half as cool as your old ride... U might really miss it?

red
    2002 ss camaro

l88 was actually closer to 600 hp at the crank where my little 402 is now but i love the big block cars the 70 ls6 being my favorite keep the 70.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information