Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

who has gone from ols muscle to an LS1?

This is a discussion on who has gone from ols muscle to an LS1? within the Classic Muscle forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by ntimid8r You'll all of 22 Joel.....you probably didn't really appreciate the old skool muscle car as much ...

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    You'll all of 22 Joel.....you probably didn't really appreciate the old skool muscle car as much 'cause you didn't grow up in that era.

How old are you? I wouldn't sell the chevelle but that's me. I say that because you're not hurting for money or anything. Seems like your situation is one that you don't "need" to sell it. If the chevelle doesn't get you wet down south then perhaps selling it is the right answer for you.

it was my first car though, haha got it when I was 16 and put in a 4 speed swap and a 12 bolt. it just sat to much honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by JC70SS View Post
    well I have 40 invested, but don't expecto to sell it for more than high 20's.
    Ya that would be a huge hit in the pocket book. I personally wouldn't bother. I'd just drive it more and enjoy it. Can't use gas as an excuse,,,it's the cheapest it's been for a couple years now. Mine gets about 8 mpg at best and I drive it everywhere, even when high test pump was $4.20 a gallon. I've had it for nearly 25 years. It will be the last car I ever part with if it comes down to that. Hope to give them all to my son when I'm too old to enjoy

A camshaft and headers would probably be enough to satisfy you for a while on the 4th gen. You may find thats all you need for a fun driver. Doesn't take much to get them in the 12's,,,and 11's aren't that hard either without any power adders.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya that would be a huge hit in the pocket book. I personally wouldn't bother. I'd just drive it more and enjoy it. Can't use gas as an excuse,,,it's the cheapest it's been for a couple years now. Mine gets about 8 mpg at best and I drive it everywhere, even when high test pump was $4.20 a gallon. I've had it for nearly 25 years. It will be the last car I ever part with if it comes down to that. Hope to give them all to my son when I'm too old to enjoy

A camshaft and headers would probably be enough to satisfy you for a while on the 4th gen. You may find thats all you need for a fun driver. Doesn't take much to get them in the 12's,,,and 11's aren't that hard either without any power adders.
    Agreed!!!

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JC70SS View Post
    Well I have a 70 SS Chevelle right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by 01WS6475hp View Post
    Previous cars
    (2) 1970 Chevelle SS 396
    Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    for selling my 69 Chevelle's!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    sold my 70' Chevelle for a T/A
    Man just about all the ls1-ers have had Chevelles!! Sold my 72 for the T/A. Bought it not running...got everything mechanically sound and did 4spd and 12 bolt swap, headers, and cam and daily drove it for almost a year. Don't miss it a bit...averaged 8 mpg...windshield leaked when it rained...no windshield wipers...no heat or ac...made my clothes smell like exhaust...

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    Man just about all the ls1-ers have had Chevelles!! Sold my 72 for the T/A. Bought it not running...got everything mechanically sound and did 4spd and 12 bolt swap, headers, and cam and daily drove it for almost a year. Don't miss it a bit...averaged 8 mpg...windshield leaked when it rained...no windshield wipers...no heat or ac...made my clothes smell like exhaust...
    Sounds like you weren't finished with it,, What do you expect,,,,,Probably why you don't miss it,,,not to mention the fact you are only 18 and can hardly appreciate the old school stuff not growing up around it.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Sounds like you weren't finished with it,, What do you expect,,,,,Probably why you don't miss it,,,not to mention the fact you are only 18 and can hardly appreciate the old school stuff not growing up around it.
    I definitely have an appreciation for old school muscle....its just that the Chevelle was too much of a project for me to have as a daily driver. Selling it and getting the T/A was the best move I ever made....same power and muscle just in a modern car with all the creature comforts. Also, I made so much $$ off selling the chevelle its how I was able to afford my Trans am. If I ever ran across a good deal on another Chevelle (preferably 70 or 68/69) that was either in decent shape or that I could turn make a dedicated project I wouldnt think twice about it

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

It really goes soooo much deeper than that for some of us

I definitely have an appreciation for old school muscle....its just that the Chevelle was too much of a project for me to have as a daily driver. Selling it and getting the T/A was the best move I ever made....same power and muscle just in a modern car with all the creature comforts. Also, I made so much $$ off selling the chevelle its how I was able to afford my Trans am. If I ever ran across a good deal on another Chevelle (preferably 70 or 68/69) that was either in decent shape or that I could turn make a dedicated project I wouldnt think twice about it
    I can understand that. It's extremely difficult to work and restore a car while driving it daily. That tends to put a bad taste in your mouth. It's the way we did it too when we were young.

Victory Red
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

sold my 81 T/A swapped 455 back in january this year for my 2002 WS6 A4. LS1 power is great. it doesn't have the grunt like the big block, but it sure as hell moves just as fast!!!!

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Yes, too many times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Red
    2002 SS

OLD vs NEW

I have owned several bowtie muscle cars since I started driving in 1979. They all had there fun moments but the 02 SS that I have now is the most fun to drive because of the handling and comfort and speed. You do not get the looks that you get when you are cruisin in a 68 427 vette or a 68 RS/SS convertible Camaro though.

Cars that I have owned:
    68 RS/SS Convertible Camaro --4 speed,console gauges,tach, very sweet
    1971 Heavy Chevy Chevelle 402 ,,turbo 400
    1974 Camaro ,,,beater 350
    1970 SS 454 Chevelle 4 speed... black with white stripes,,,cowl hood,,bench seat
    1971 RS Z-28
    1969 X33 Z28 Rally Sport ,,,,,, rusty but a sweet car
    1968 SS 396 Camaro,,,,,, Very Clean ,,Rat Motor on Dope ran great,,sold it to a friend who still has it.
    1968 427 automatic Corvette,,,, VERY fun to drive hauled ass but ran HOTTT
    1968 Nova small block Pro Street car
    1969 Chevy Truck short bed
    1972 GMC Truck
    The bad part is that I SOLD every one of those vehicles and If I had them today they would be pretty expensive..

Next Race= WSIR 2/26-27 SIK02SS's Avatar
    Too many

i have both..

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

I went from a 1972 Skylark GS 455 clone (GM A body same thing as the Chevelle basically) to a 97 Z28 30th aniversary. I still kinda miss the sound of a cammed big block, but I dont miss fixing something every week on it.

Part of the joy and bonding of owning a classic is working on it. And you can say you did it yourself. Not sure why you would have to do something everyweek though??? Once it's restored and done it should give you many years of enjoyment with very little wrench time if at all.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Part of the joy and bonding of owning a classic is working on it. And you can say you did it yourself. Not sure why you would have to do something everyweek though??? Once it's restored and done it should give you many years of enjoyment with very little wrench time if at all.
    I never had the money to completely restore the car back then. I had to do something small every week to try and rebuild the car. Im not sure if you are familiar with the buick 455 but the stock distributor is shit and there are usually some knocking issues. ( I couldnt afford a better ignition system) and there were always rust issues with the car. It was better for me at the time to sell it and get a newer car that had lower maintenance costs. I do still miss working on it and if I had the car now when I have a stable job I would have been able to restore it properly.

BlackCherry
    Bad Ass 67 Camaro / 2010

It is hard when you are younger and do not have the Money to maintain the Classic Muscle.
    I recall the days of having to buy a POS 2nd vehicle, just so I could save a little $$ to work on my 67.

I bought my 67 Camaro in November of 83, with 63,500 miles on it. I drove the hell out of it, until it hit 192,000. And then it was rebuilt with a 97 LT1 and the T56 trans (Summer 2000).
    I invested a lot of money and I am DAMN glad I did what I did.
    I personally cannot see getting rid of it, even if I buy the 2010.

But ultimately, it is your decision. Good luck

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

i will never get rid of my 69 camaro

Bright Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans AM

I went from a 1987 Monte Carlo SS to a 98 Trans Am a couple months ago. I was going to restore the SS but for less money I found the T/A with 17k. I love classic muscle cars but they can be a hastle to find parts for and mine wasn't even rare or old.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Best of both worlds! I got my 69 SS 396 Chevelle and my 98 SS. If I could only keep one, it would be the Chevelle. There is nothing like driving a muscle car.

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Best of both worlds! I got my 69 SS 396 Chevelle and my 98 SS. If I could only keep one, it would be the Chevelle. There is nothing like driving a muscle car.
    Thats great hearing that from a 28 year old. There are so many of the younger generation that you simply can't explain that too. It has to be experienced. Hope more of that generation picks up on this before all the old geazers are dead and gone.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information