black
    02 ss camaro

What's it worth?

69 SS396 chevelle with a 4 speed and a 12 bolt 4.10 gear.I really hate to get rid of it,but might have to this year..It's a true ss chevelle with about 23500 miles on the clock.Engine and 4 speed muncie are correct to the car,rear was originally an open 3.55,converted it to a 4.10 posi about 8 years ago.The paint is not perfect,but not bad at all.I will post some pics soon...Just trying to get a honest idea of what these cars are going for these days.Car is my avatar.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by importhater81 View Post
    69 SS396 chevelle with a 4 speed and a 12 bolt 4.10 gear.I really hate to get rid of it,but might have to this year..It's a true ss chevelle with about 23500 miles on the clock.Engine and 4 speed muncie are correct to the car,rear was originally an open 3.55,converted it to a 4.10 posi about 8 years ago.The paint is not perfect,but not bad at all.I will post some pics soon...Just trying to get a honest idea of what these cars are going for these days.Car is my avatar.
    A car like that i would have appraised. Most people on this ls1 f-body site won't know the real value myself included.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Moved since this is not an actual for sale thread.

black
    02 ss camaro

sorry about that...wasn't sure what section to post.

black
    02 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    A car like that i would have appraised. Most people on this ls1 f-body site won't know the real value myself included.
    Thanks for the advice...I have to unload one of my 2 cars this year, it's between my 02 camaro and chevelle...I hate to part with either one but I know about what the f-body would probably bring...no idea about the chevelle so appraisal might be worth the investment.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by importhater81 View Post
    sorry about that...wasn't sure what section to post.
    No worries, you will get better help here though

white
    98 Ram air T/A Ls1/T-56

appraisal is definately the way to go, but sometimes you can get more-or less than that value,, without even seeing the car if it is as you are describing, its at least worth 15k prolly much more,,,the big block, 4 speed, and 12 bolt drive the value up.. do a little research and have it appraised.. dont get hamboned by some slick lowball buyer.

white
    2001 transam

If you really do have to get rid of one of your vehicles get rid of the 02. And if getting rid of for money problems buy a beater. If numbers ### are matching on the Chevelle it won't get any easier to find one if you want one again. The 02 will depriciate at a pretty good clip for another 4 or 5 years. The 69 is not depriciating but rather about supply and demand. For the 69 you will want to do allot of homework on before selling to reap max $$$. Everything about the sell of the 69 needs to be done correctly. I.E. What time of year to sell it (Not right now for sure), where to sell it (Car show, Specific Auction, Ebay etc,) Lot's of what if's - That you need to have thought out in advance and not make rash fast decisions. Lot's of Research and note taking. Haste makes Waste. Do it right.

How much did you pay for it and when if you don't mind me asking ?

black
    02 ss camaro

$13,000.00 in 1999.I hear what your saying about selling the camaro and supply and demand of the chevelle.As far as that goes though,its getting tougher to find a clean 4th generation f-body.My 02 has 19000 miles,never been my dd,bought it new in 02,always garaged and never seen snow.So it's a tough decision.As far as money reasons,insurance is killing me on both cars,however I own them both outright.

white
    2001 transam

Well you have a good amount of time before you sell your 69 if that is what you end up doing. Don't sell the car until the weather starts getting nice. Late April being your start date. Start doing your DD now write lot's of notes. I see your 28 and Yes that would be a very tough decision for me too probably tougher when I was 28 than now 47. Expecially since you bought your 02 New and taken care of it meticulously.

You might want to spend a Business day shopping around on the phone with insurance rates of different companies. I did this myself 4 years ago and got the same insurance Coverages with Electric Insurance Company for half of what I had been paying. NO JOKE...

1-800-227-2757

I currently own

07 Acura TLS
    01 Pontiac Transam
    02 Dodge Ram Van

Full coverage on all Vehicles Listed for Total Annual Premium of $1517.00

Sorry for the Editing but another thought just came to mind. You are going to want to see what the Demand is for your 69 Now to also influence your decision.
    Last edited by ws62001; 12-27-2009 at 09:16 AM.

black
    02 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by ws62001 View Post
    Well you have a good amount of time before you sell your 69 if that is what you end up doing. Don't sell the car until the weather starts getting nice. Late April being your start date. Start doing your DD now write lot's of notes. I see your 28 and Yes that would be a very tough decision for me too probably tougher when I was 28 than now 47. Expecially since you bought your 02 New and taken care of it meticulously.

You might want to spend a Business day shopping around on the phone with insurance rates of different companies. I did this myself 4 years ago and got the same insurance Coverages with Electric Insurance Company for half of what I had been paying. NO JOKE...

1-800-227-2757

I currently own

07 Acura TLS
    01 Pontiac Transam
    02 Dodge Ram Van

Full coverage on all Vehicles Listed for Total Annual Premium of $1517.00

Sorry for the Editing but another thought just came to mind. You are going to want to see what the Demand is for your 69 Now to also influence your decision.
    thank's for the advice.That's a hell of a deal you have for your insurance premium!I pay $1600 a year just for the Camaro...there's no way I could even get close to what your paying for insurance given my age and not being married.If I did marry my gf..she'd cost me more money then if I kept both cars!!

Orange, red, white
    1967,68,97,2000 Camaros

How much paperwork do you have on the Chevelle and how are you documenting the low miles? Which 396 does it have? There were 3 different ones and it can make a lot of difference to the right buyer. I know it's not real world, but it's what most banks use, so go check out NADAguides.com. They have a section on muscle cars and it may surprise you what they're saying your car is worth. Although I would usually agree that timing may be wrong for the sale, in your case I don't know if there is a wrong time for classic muscle. I would be prepared to hold out on my price. You may want to take a visit to Chevelles.com and fish it out there also(I go to the camaros.com which is a sister site). There also are companies that specialize in insurance of classic muscle and you may want to check into some of them. Some have mileage and usage limits and others don't(you could probably ask the chevelle site what they're using). Good luck with it.

black
    02 ss camaro

It was the 325hp 2 bolt main 396.The miles are pretty well documented according to the paper work I have on the car.

Orange, red, white
    1967,68,97,2000 Camaros

Every bit of paperwork will make the car worth more to the collector. If you're looking to sell just because of insurance you ought to check some different options. Can you put the one in storage during the winter months they don't get driven? Nada has your car over $20k and they're probably close to the right person.
    Good luck. I had a '69 Chevelle when I first joined the Army and my parents sold it for me for way less than what I wanted but I really didn't need need that car back then.

The majority of the SS 396's were the 325 hp, just as you have.
    I had a break down here somewhere for engine HP and transmission option. But yours is a fairly common combo.
    What would make it more desirable would be if the mileage of 23,000 is actual. And if it is actual,,,,,how much of the car is still original and unrestored???
    There has been a rather large following withing the last few years for unrestored unmollested muscle cars. With 23,000 I would suspect that most everything should still be there other than regular maintainance items.

If that's the case and the car is still very presentable it could fetch pretty good money?? How much?? Depends on the condition of everything. I can tell you that a recent sell here locally of a 69 SS 396/350 hp with an auto and airconditioning,,,well optioned and still wearing it's original paint, with I believe about 50,000 miles and it showed as in near new condition,,,,sold for $60K.
    Sounds like alot for a car with that engine combo, as I've seen the 375HP versions for that kind of money,,,but as I said, there are people out there willing to pay big money for low mile unmollested unrestored muscle cars. Just like anything else it's a matter of what someone is willing to spend. But what I gave an example of is not unusual.

On the other hand, if it's been painted (depending on quality), original parts replaced with reproduction chinese parts, Or non original aftermarket parts,,,,,then the price can take a big hit.

Honestly without knowing or seeing the car, it's too difficult to put a price on. My personal opinion would be to hang onto the car, with the way things are right now, it's not a great time to sell anything. Although the muscle car market seems to be the least affected by all this, I'd still hang for a while and see what happens.

black
    02 ss camaro

I rebuilt the engine back in '02...the car sat for a long time so it had to be done.The previous owner had it repainted in the mid 90's.The car has manual steering and no A.C.The interior is black leather with bucket seats and is in mint condition.So basically the car has had some things done to it over the years.It runs and drives great and isn't far away from being a pristine show car.Even the 8 track player still works!

chikiwighi
    chikiwighi

Hi,
    According to me,you should have rebuilt the engine.
    No advertising

Collector Yellow
    2002 CETA Conv Auto

I would strongly agree with Firebird Jones post above. Even just original paint and original interior cars are the real hot ticket right now. Even if there are flaws, it's still much more desireable than a fully restored car right now. and may well continue into the future. As such you have a dilemma for sure as in the future your Camaro may be worth more. But the future for the Camaro is a long way off right now.

At 28, if you have a reasonable driving record, you should be able to buy affordable exhibition on ly insurance for at least the chevelle if not both. The stipulation typically is driving to and from events and club organized events and only a couple thousand miles per year.

I insure my 02 and 81 at stated values for less than 500 per year for both. when i had four ta's it was less than 800 for all 4.

You usually have to have a driver car, third car in this case registered and insured as your daily driver, so go get a beater and drive it for a couple of years.

Your insurance rate should go down when you reach 30, also do you have good credit? if not, get that straigtened up, credit scores affect insurance rates. Good credit = responsible person = cheaper rates in the eyes of the insurance companies.

And worst case, absolutely park the cars inside somewhere and put fire and theft coverage on them for at least 6 months of the year,m if not 9 months, you can't drive both at the same time, so 3 months with each equals half the year anyways.

I feel for you, but try to find a way to hold on to your cars.

Good luck.

Thread Information