Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree7Likes

What? A 1962 Buick Skylark?

This is a discussion on What? A 1962 Buick Skylark? within the Classic Muscle forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Sorry to hear. Good luck with the job search. The nice thing about projects is that you can work at ...

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sorry to hear. Good luck with the job search. The nice thing about projects is that you can work at them at your own pace and as finances allow -- just so you have a spot to store them!

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

Hey, so I might have a job in the next city over come Monday! WooHoo! I can't thank the people around me for being so helpful in getting me such good job leads! I might not miss a "weeks pay"!!!!

So, I did another thing I was not supposed to do; spend $$ w/o a job! But a 1999 Sierra 2500 p/u 4l80E trans with a warranty for $375.00 with a rebuilt stock converter? I could not pass it up; oh yeah, that is delivered to the house! I might be back on track soon! Wish me guidance in knowing what to do and if I don't know how to do it, the wisdom to ask before I screw it up!!!!

Hey Jeff, I love the 87 GN!!!! If I can make any of the NHRA races next year, (2014), I might stop at the local track in PA and see if you might want to come out and watch the bikes run with us! I think it is called Reading? They usually have it in October or so.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Hope it works out!

Reading is Maple Grove Raceway. About 3-1/2 hours from here - great track.

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

That's it! I have not been there since 2003 at the end of the year. If I can get there, I can get a couple of passes for you and me if you want to join me. Hummmm, maybe I had better find out if I can get there first, right? I know I can get passes, but what if I can't get there? That would be funny if I went and got the passes, then couldn't get there. Hey wait, that's not funny!

Oh yes, I went and put the spare on it today and realized it is a 4 lug pattern. The rear end cover bolt pattern might be the same as the one in your Buick GN; is that possible?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I'm not sure when the 8.5" was first used - my guess is that the older stuff is different. The rear in my '66 Buicks is definitely not the same as Regal.

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

It must be, cause I hear you GN guys are pushing 500+rwhp through the stock rear end. Me? I would be afraid!

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

There are guys with F-bodies running stupid fast through the stock 10 bolts... and they are even weaker than those from the prior generation.

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

Hi Guys, I need some real help here; I just found out the chassis is not a "real frame", it's a FAKE! It does have the four link rear axle like a Chevelle, but the frame looks like a 3 sided model of some spot welded frame support! It looks thinner than the trailer kit you can buy from Harbor Freight! (the one with 8" tires!).
    The other thing that is weird; it has four 3/4" x 5"(?) bolts w/ 7/8ths" head on them to hold the front end on to the "frame". The whole front suspension unbolts, "A" arms, springs, shocks, sway bar and "K" member? (the steering box stays on the "frame"). I will post some pics later and see if you can tell me what the heck I got myself in to! Anybody hear of this?? Oh my God, this is really weird!!!!

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Definitely need some pics to see what you are referring to.

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

I have to run some errands in the morning as we need to get ready for a wedding this weekend, but as soon as I get the service on the Optima Turbo, and the all to famous haircut, I will get them going and on here. I don't know if I have ever seen this front end type of setup.
    Oh yes, thanks for the quick reply Jeff!

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

Well, I am slow aren't I?? I finally got the pictures of the front end. Weird stuff. 3 bolts hold the front end to the frame; one in the front and one each behind the suspension in the rear of each spring and a-arm area. Please see the pictures;
    sunp0001.jpgsunp0002.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sunp0004.jpg  

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

Sorry but I am surely not a photographer!!!! But I think that two of those show it pretty well? Can anyone see what the heck I got? What have I gotten myself in too?
    Oh, and one more;
    sunp0004.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Well, now you can tell that I am nothing close to a photog!

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

I hope I can put a Chevy II aftermarket front end on it or something. This does not look too impressive to run at the race track, though it might just make a fine street only car. Hmmm, a little disappointed at the moment. I surely do not think this will handle a 400 h.p. engine and the 4L80E transmission.... any input? Help?
    Do you guys think I should just sell it? Or maybe just get it running and see what it does? Any insight in to this nice little car and what I might need to do/ could do/ should do, or maybe should not do? Any precautions?

Oh God, am I lost or what?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Hard to tell by the pics, but it may just be unibody construction with a bolt on front subframe. No different than a lot of other cars out there, including the 1969 Camaro. I'd still build it and would not hesitate to stuff a bigger engine under the hood.

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

BTW, I figured I had better tell you guys what is in those pictures; the first on the left is the front mount from the "suspension cross member"; kind of like a big "K" member from the 2000 Camaro (?) I think. The second picture is where the upper a-arm fits in to the fender well but only attaches down to the "K" member. The third, which I also posted as the next quick reply, is the rear section of this "K" member and how it attaches to the "frame, which I believe is uni-body. Wow, that is a big bolt but does not look strong in the bracket it goes through.

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

Well, sad to say but I had to let the Buick go........................ well, I was sad but everyone else in the house was happy, as well as the neighbors! They never complained but they were all hanging out as it was leaving with smiles on their faces.

The good news is I got a 1969 El Camino by trading the fuel system, (Hilborn mechanical injection), the old engine from a Pro Gas Kawasaki bike and a couple of boxes of extra parts from the garage. With that fuel system, engine and a decent turbo, that bike he has should run some high 7's!, as it was running low to mid sevens in my friend J. Terranova's bike

As soon as I remember how to attach the file here, I can send a picture of it.

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

Guess this means I will be starting a new "post"??

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sorry to see it go. Pics of the Elky? We look at those every year at Carlisle -- someday we'll be adding one to the stable.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information