Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

What? A 1962 Buick Skylark?

Hi Guys, first time poster here with a question about putting a LQ4 in to a old Buick two door sedan. It came stock w/ a 215 c.i. V-8 and was wondering if anyone had any information on what mounts or if anyone had a set of long tubes for it, as well as rear trans mount? Can I get away with the fuel injection as I am not really keen on going back to carbs right now, and it will be a street application, and will not be going to the track, so the older 10 bolt still work?

This is almost the same as the Pontiac Tempest of the same years, 1960 to 1963; Any idea's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Raymond

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Chances are that you will be pulling off a custom swap. There are kits and such for dropping LS engines into lots of the popular body styles... but unfortunately I am going to guess that a '62 Lark ain't one of them. This being said, you can still do it with a set of generic LS swap mounts that you will need to install to your frame and position properly. The transmission crossmember will most likely require modification and the exhaust run will be custom. There are swap headers on the market and you may find something that will work. No reason why you cannot run FI and a GM or aftermarket PCM. You'll probably need to also have a custom length driveshaft fabbed and use conversion u-joints that are readily available at NAPA or most other parts stores. The fuel system will require some work as well as our engines run on 58 psi. I recommend hitting up Amazon and taking a look for "LS Swap" -- you'll find a couple of good publications with lots of helpful information for a project like this.

How about some pics of the car?

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

Well, the car is really embarrassing at the moment, and I need to sell this bike this weekend to fund the job, but I will post a picture of the car soon. I just need to wash it really bad; I have a tiny shop that I do on the side called Quicksilver Cycles in Simi Valley here just northwest of LA and I left it under a tree for 2 years in the front parking lot; I know, I am the idiot for doing it and I regret it now that's for sure! I hope, since I can't seem to get the referee station to talk to me about the LQ4 in the S-10, maybe I can just put the engine in the Buick. It really is a cool car cause it has the pointed front fenders and does not look like the 1963 model, which I did not like, cause it had the flat front end. If you go here, 1962 Buick Skylark - Yahoo! Search Results ,this is what it looks like, but mine is white with a blue interior; well, it will be after I get all the tree sap off of it! (sorry for rambling on!)
    Oh yesa, sounds like you have been down this road before, I hope you can help me get through some of the crazy stuff! Thanks for "chiming in"!

Jeff is right as usual. That's going to be a custom deal all around. You are messing with what is basically the unibody cars before GM went to a new full frame design on the A bodies in 64.
    Probably not going to be any "swap kits" out there for such an animal. All is not lost if you have some fab skills. Like Jeff said, there is alot of universal stuff on the market for street rods that give you a good starting point. Check out places like Street and Performance, and Speedway Motors. Plenty of others too.
    I recently swapped an LS drivetrain in my 72 4x4 blazer, and virtually had to make things work because there isn't a drop in kit for these either. It's not really that bad.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 02-12-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

No excuses for not posting pics -- here's my '66 Wildcat. I doubt yours could look worse.

Got the ole 401 nail head?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That's cool, power drum brakes and power steering even. That will be a neat one to restore.

On second thought, I think I'd have fun driving it around as is. Wouldn't have to worry about scratching it.

Last time I had a beater like that to drive, my wife cringed every time she had to ride in it

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

We're doing a darn good job of threadjacking the OP here... guess we'll keep at it until he posts pics.

I have a fully restored chassis with the "Hi-Po" 1966 Buick 340 and Turbo 400 all ready to go. I am damn tempted to drop the body from the beater onto this chassis and then drive the snot out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    We're doing a darn good job of threadjacking the OP here... guess we'll keep at it until he posts pics.

I have a fully restored chassis with the "Hi-Po" 1966 Buick 340 and Turbo 400 all ready to go. I am damn tempted to drop the body from the beater onto this chassis and then drive the snot out of it.
    Torture him until he posts pics

That sounds like a plan Jeff, worry free fun without all the stress.

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

How Embarrassing! Mine looks worse! I will get some pictures this weekend though! The engine, the all aluminum 215 ci V8 actually ran good while it was getting in an accident! And yes, an auto slush box, and 2 door no post little Buick; but I seem to recall a full frame and a coil spring rear axle w/ a 10 bolt?, kinda like my old 64 GTO w/ Big Block Chevy 396, (back in 1973), not like the 1972 Porsche, (back in 1974-79), which is a real unibody.
    Let me get some pictures and maybe you can say "I TOLD YOU SO!!"

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds like a plan... we'll be here waiting.

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

Okay, I finally got pictures; how do I put them up here? Help??

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

easiest way is to upload to photobucket and paste the image code into this box.

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

Do these open?

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

Please note there is "cancer" at the roof pillars and the right side fender at the bottom. But it has p/s and p/b as well. The car has a new regulator so it might have an issue with the charging system, but that ill go bye bye with the LQ4.

I am getting excited as the S-10 is on Craigslist for sale. That will give me a couple of payments on the new Kia Optima, (gas mileage is at 34 mpg!) we just got and hoping that there will be a few $$ left for the project car! I really wanted to do the S-10 but too many smog laws! Funny, I am installing all 4 cats and the O2 sensors along the stock manifolds at the beginning. :<}

I just got ARP rod bolts and head bolt set as well. I will try and get some flat top S.P. pistons and rings at .005" over and all new bearings as well. I think the LS6 cam should be a good mild "computer" friendly cam, and some new lifters.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

As I have a fondness for old Buicks... I'm diggin' the pics. Thank you for sharing!

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

BTW, I looked again at the rear suspension, and it is a Chevelle/ GTO type of rear suspension, a "4 link" type. I did not have a jack at the shop, noting I work on motorcycles there, but I will try and get one down there this coming weekend. If that rear end is a 10 bolt, will it put up with the 400 h.p. LS engine? Of course, using the 4L60E trans. Any opinions?
    Also, the reason for the delay in getting anything done on this "project"? Look in the back round of the front shot and you will notice the Kia just outside of the front gate. It's the Optima Turbo, also a fun toy, but it does get 34 mpg! That and smog are the two reasons I am selling the truck. :<{

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

Here is a picture, sorry I still do not have a jack down here. :<{

This just shows you one of four links to the rear end, and it is a full frame. Am I the only one that has ever owned one? I thought they were "uni-body as well!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information