Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Vote:Lamest "Muscle" car ever

This is a discussion on Vote:Lamest "Muscle" car ever within the Classic Muscle forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS 78 Mustang King Cobra without a doubt. For those of you who weren't around at the ...

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    78 Mustang King Cobra without a doubt. For those of you who weren't around at the time or who haven't seen one then here ya go:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/1970-19...King-Cobra.htm

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featur...car/index.html

Mind you, even back in the day, those of us in the GM camp that had or owned F-bodies got a good laugh out of this.
    The author in the second link goes on to brag about driving the car every now and then, and seems impressed with the car?

That car is a hideous piece of garbage. Maybe in 1945 they would have thought it was hot and a "beast" on the streets.

How in the hell did the Mustang survive that period???

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

My good friends roomate is obsessed with the King Cobra. He has a red 78. Now he built the motor completely with new heads, bigger cams, big carb, i mean its nice, but he thinks its like the most badass car Ford ever produced. He also thinks its gonna be really fast. But im sorry, i have no doubt in my mind that i would smoke that thing. I still think its ugly and really am not suprised that i dont see many around at all. The really funny thing is, all his friends have King Cobras and they all hang out and talk about their cars blah blah blah but they refer to eachother as Cobra Joe, Cobra Bob, Cobra Jay, Cobra Rich! hahahah Its so funny. Ill get some pictures up here sometime.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

well in the cobras favor- it looks like a pretty light car -BUT thats it!

Blue
    2000 Camaro SS Convertibl

I forgot about the Mach 1's they made for a couple years in the late 70's. It was just a average hatchback (6 cyl?) with the words MACH 1 scribbled on the sides of the car I believe. I know most of you guys hate mustangs, but they really trashed a legendary muscle car name when they scribbled it on that econo-box. Musicly it's the equivalent of creating CCR revisted, The New Cars, or VanHalen 3.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post
    My good friends roomate is obsessed with the King Cobra. He has a red 78. Now he built the motor completely with new heads, bigger cams, big carb, i mean its nice, but he thinks its like the most badass car Ford ever produced. He also thinks its gonna be really fast. But im sorry, i have no doubt in my mind that i would smoke that thing. I still think its ugly and really am not suprised that i dont see many around at all. The really funny thing is, all his friends have King Cobras and they all hang out and talk about their cars blah blah blah but they refer to eachother as Cobra Joe, Cobra Bob, Cobra Jay, Cobra Rich! hahahah Its so funny. Ill get some pictures up here sometime.

Tell 'em Cobra Deeznutz said their car looks pure ass!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Cobra Que*r

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I don't dislike Mustangs or Cobras per se. I've even had a few old Stangs (66 coupe and a 68 390 GT fastback w 4-speed). The Pinto Stangs are another story though.

On the other hand, there were a lot of V8 Pintos and V8 Vegas made back in the day (70's -80's) by the backyard builder set. Even Joel Rosen (of Baldwin-Motion fame; he owned Motion Performance) got into the act building V8 Vega's for sale until the Feds popped him for emmisions violations. Pretty good idea too: Biggest engine in the smallest car.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I actually like the vega though-makes a hell of a drag car.

Teal
    95 Z28

I vote for the shelby charger from around 1989......

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

What about the Chevy Nova from the 80's that was a rebadged Toyota Corolla?? Take about disgracing a Muscle car name with some piece of shit econo car import.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Oh yeah, forgot about that one. It was like a poor man's Chevette!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    What about the Chevy Nova from the 80's that was a rebadged Toyota Corolla?? Take about disgracing a Muscle car name with some piece of shit econo car import.
    Although I agree with you about the Norolla (that's what we called them), the 62 Chevy II was created to be an econo box in answer to the Ford Falcon.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    You Guys are Forgeting the `78 Dodge Aspen R/T and the Plymouth Volare Roadrunner. More tape stripe supercars like the Mustang Cobra II
    I had a 79 Aspen R/T and was a pretty cool car ... dropping a 340 with a purple stick camshaft in it didnt hurt it any ...

BlackCherry
    Bad Ass 67 Camaro / 2010

Although I agree with you about the Norolla (that's what we called them), the 62 Chevy II was created to be an econo box in answer to the Ford Falcon.
    And bother where pretty nice for a few years

blue
    1972 'Cuda 340

IMO any car from 1975 to 1979 kinda sucked that is except for the 6.6 T/As which were still pretty awesome.

I don't dislike Mustangs or Cobras per se. I've even had a few old Stangs (66 coupe and a 68 390 GT fastback w 4-speed). The Pinto Stangs are another story though.

On the other hand, there were a lot of V8 Pintos and V8 Vegas made back in the day (70's -80's) by the backyard builder set. Even Joel Rosen (of Baldwin-Motion fame; he owned Motion Performance) got into the act building V8 Vega's for sale until the Feds popped him for emmisions violations. Pretty good idea too: Biggest engine in the smallest car.
    Exactly,,,,,my daily driver is a 79 Monza currently with a 406 and muncie 4 speed. It weighs 3,020 lbs. fully dressed and is a complete blast to drive.

Seems everyone knocks on the Mustang cobra II's and such. Actually that was the style back in the late 70's for many of the car manufactures. GM did the same thing with the Monza spyder,,,with a big decal accross the hood of a spider etc....I had a few of those cars over the years,,,and yes there is actually a huge following for them, with clubs, websites etc....

Niether the Spyder or the Cobra II's were stellar performers when in stock form,,,,but they were all ripe for an engine swap,,,which is what happened to most of them back then. Buddy of mine shoved a 351w in his Cobra II,,,and it cleaned house most of the time back in the early 80's. I was the first guy to take him down in my 56 nomad and a little 327,,,,,lol.

I am actually getting ready to purchase a 71 vega that was an abandoned V8 project sometime in the very early 70's with only 20,000 miles on the clock. It has an actuall Motion Performance 12 bolt rearend already installed and the car is still wearing it's red/white/ and blue paint job in pearl with stars and all,,,,,kinda looks like Evil Knevel,,,,lol,,,,kinda 70's ish for sure and very retro, this kind of stuff was big time back in the 70's. Very cool as this stuff is starting to make a comeback,,,,I will be bringing it out next spring with a tunnel rammed 327 and 4 speed,,,still sporting it's 30 year old paint job. Some of us old folks still like this stuff.

Sorry to get off topic,,,,,I just can't really think of anything that is an actual muscle car that I consider horrible. I need more time to think.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

The interior was pretty cool looking, but that's it.

The more I look at the front and back of that thing, the more I lose my appetite. And I haven't eaten a thing all day.

LOL,,,,,guess you had to be there.

I'm not in love with them either,,,,but in the 70's it was pretty well excepted. The only other sporty V-8 car back then was either the Z28 camaro or the Trans Am,,,,,,again though,,,,cars with alot of graphics as well. It was the 70's man. Even vans were cool with art work painted on the sides.....

Purple
    1998 T/A convertable

THey're like grampa ricers

Quote Originally Posted by colesherman86 View Post
    do you mean super bird? those and the charger daytonas are the ones with the gaint 3 foot wing and pointed noses.....

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by xirxious View Post
    THey're like grampa ricers
    yeah but they were made for a reason, first nascar to hit 200mph

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information