Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Torque Converter Woes?

Had to move my '66 Buick out of the lower garage the other night and had a strange problem. The car starts and runs fine, but as soon as I put it in gear, it stalls. The car is equipped with a Turbo 400 with the switch pitch converter.

It stalls in all gears and at best, when I revved it up a bit, I would get a bit of a lurch before it stalled. My friend mentioned that the turbine may have seized up in the converter. This makes sense to me as that is exactly what it feels like. Can anyone confirm this?

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    02 superchipsZ28 M6(sold)

im leaning to converter also friend, will she roll in neutral ? just wondering about rearend...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by bamaz28 View Post
    im leaning to converter also friend, will she roll in neutral ? just wondering about rearend...

Rolls fine in neutral. No unusual noises.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Converter..See if you can get her rolling down hill and drop her in gear. Run her around get it hot and maybe it will loosen up. Other than that, you'll be pulling the trany bud.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    02 superchipsZ28 M6(sold)

its time to go to work on her

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Converter..See if you can get her rolling down hill and drop her in gear. Run her around get it hot and maybe it will loosen up. Other than that, you'll be pulling the trany bud.

Can't get it to move more than a few feet before she stalls. I revved on it pretty good as the yard was wet and I knew the tires would spin and take up some of the shock load. Nuts...

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Can't get it to move more than a few feet before she stalls. I revved on it pretty good as the yard was wet and I knew the tires would spin and take up some of the shock load. Nuts...
    I should have said get her rolling in (neutral) first then drop her into gear.

I'm sure as a car guy you know about the toughness of the TH400, but you know it wont hold up to too many neutral drops. Hate to see you haveing to replace the trany too. That's why I suggested getting her rolling first then drop her into gear, it's a lot easier on the trany from a roll.. I swear over the years I've found sitting not moving is far harder on vehicles than driving them..
    Last edited by Smittro; 10-29-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I should have said get her rolling in neutral first then drop her into gear.

I'm sure as a car guy you know about the toughness of the TH400, but you know it wont hold up to too many neutral drops. Hate to see you haveing to replace the trany too. That's why I suggested getting her rolling first then drop her into gear, it a lot easier on the trany from a roll.. I swear over the years sitting not moving is far harder on them than driving them..

I understood what you meant, the reply was directed to the last part about running her around a bit. I just can't get it to go more than a few feet at a time. I do have 2 spare BOP bolt pattern TH400's, one of which has already been re-built. Better yet, I have a completed chassis sitting next to it now -- including engine and trans. This will be my incentive to get going on the project I guess.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I understood what you meant, the reply was directed to the last part about running her around a bit. I just can't get it to go more than a few feet at a time. I do have 2 spare BOP bolt pattern TH400's, one of which has already been re-built. Better yet, I have a completed chassis sitting next to it now -- including engine and trans. This will be my incentive to get going on the project I guess.
    Well in that case look @ it as her way of telling you to build a monster . If you do deside to get the project going, would'nt mind seeing a build thread, hint hint..lol Good luck bud..

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Well in that case look @ it as her way of telling you to build a monster . If you do deside to get the project going, would'nt mind seeing a build thread, hint hint..lol Good luck bud..

I had posted a pic thread just for fun some time ago: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117428

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I had posted a pic thread just for fun some time ago: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117428
    Ah the wildcat! I forgot about that. Sweet big cruiser..

Good ole switch pitch. I have a spare 400 tranny complete with the switch pitch in the garage.

The cheap way to fix it would be to install a regular converter, but you have to change the front pump to accomodate it. A remain pump is about $60-$70,,,and a converter as you may know can cost all different amounts depending on what you go with.

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

yes now you can pick up a new converter fairly cheap just catch one and sway it in less that 1 1/2 hours and bam you are back up and running
    good luck

Thread Information