Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Stepping back in time.

A couple of weeks ago, our friend with the '70 Dodge Dart came down to join us at Dragfest. The next morning, we headed out in his Dart to show him some of the sights around Beaver Springs. A few miles south of Middleburg, Pennsylvania, there is an old time gas station that has been converted into a restaurant. Being Sunday morning, the place was closed and we were able to take some great shots of his car.

I'm not quite old enough to remember places like this, but there is a certain allure to them and it made for a great backdrop to shoot these pics. The Dart is a driver and he has logged over 10,000 miles on it this year, including the complete Power Tour, a few trips to Carlisle, a run up to Hemmings in Vermont, and a couple of track outings. Currently, it has a 360 Magnum crate engine, 727 transmission (soon to be swapped out for a stick), a sheet metal 8-3/4" rear, Wilwood discs at all four corners, fuel cell in the trunk, the radio, heat, P/S and A/C are all deleted, and it is just a blast to tool around in.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I love stumbling across places like that. Unfortunately, they seem to be more scarce out this way all the time. When I am back east, I love just driving around and checking out all the historic building and homes, etc... that you guys have out there.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Dawn and I both enjoy finding new places like this. We're still exploring down that way and usually just jump in the car and pick a direction to go with no specific plan in mind.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

If I lived out there, I would too

Very cool, I've always liked the vintage places, if they could only talk

If you like that stuff, there is a Route 66 cruise out here every year in April, and it's an absolute blast.
    We start in Seligman, Arizona (a forgotten Route 66 town) and go West (I forget the mileage) all the way to Topock, which is on the border of California and Arizona, close to Needles, California where part of the movie 2 Lane Blacktop was filmed (for you history buffs).

We visit every little forgotten Route 66 town along the way (and there are many) with abandon buildings, old gas stations (some still with pumps) that all make an excellent backdrop for pictures. We've taken our 70 Formula 2 years in a row and it's just awsome. 500+ other vintage cars along for the ride makes it that much better.

I forget the total mileage but it's an all day trip out and back. Some spend the night. One of the stops is Peach Springs, a forgotten mining town where mules roam the streets freely and want handouts, so you better walk around with an arm full of carrots

Now if you like ghost towns (this isn't for vintage cars) there are a ton of old mining towns around her up in the mountains, some still with many standing buildings and old stamp mills and other equipment just left behind since the mid 1800's. Need a pretty good off road vehicle to reach most of them, but the beauty and history is worth the trip. Arizona is completely full of this stuff, along with burried treasure stories, robbed stage coaches, etc....If you love Western history, you can get your fill out here. I never get tired of off roading out here and seeing what we can find. When you see how rough the terrain is and think back how they travelled, you gain a whole new appreciation for those old timers.

Sorry Jeff, didn't mean to steal your thunder. Looks like a beautiful day with clear blue sky, and the Dart is pretty cool too

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ That sounds like a lot of fun. Especially accompanied by a caravan of old iron. Any pics you can post?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

It does sound like a lot of fun. And, I love the 'old west'. I love US History period. Antiques, architecture, lifestyles, and all that goes with it. It fascinates me. Always has.

Red w/ silver Stripes
    2000 WS6 6 Speed

Thanks for sharing the pics. I love stuff like that. Kind of makes me wish thats how it still was. Less crime more jobs stronger country..

I have alot of pics here and there. Are you wanting off road pics of ghost towns or the Route 66 cruise? I don't want to flood your thread, and I'm not sure how long photobucket will keep them up. I have a setting that's messed up evidently.

Red w/ silver Stripes
    2000 WS6 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I have alot of pics here and there. Are you wanting off road pics of ghost towns or the Route 66 cruise? I don't want to flood your thread, and I'm not sure how long photobucket will keep them up. I have a setting that's messed up evidently.
    i would love to see all the pics.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I love those old Mopar's, they really bring me home to the old days. I love the A body models because you can get a big block in the engine compartment and save about 800 lbs over a B body. I also love the Rasin bran hood, very cool.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The car definitely turns heads everywhere he takes it. Worse thing on these "A" bodies is the header setup - very little space and you have to drop the steering linkage for the install on most. He has TTI's in it now and they fit the best of any he has tried.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Being an old Mopar guy, got my first 1970 Charger in 1976, I really loved what they did in the 60's and early 70's. If you remember, they ruled that era and they were innovative with the Max Wedge, The Hemi, wild colors and crazy combinations like the Hemi Darts. I went to the Bow Tie Brand because they were available and affordable. I really wanted a Hemi Challenger but they were way too expensive. I was able to buy an 02 Camaro SS with all the SLP goodies and 29k on the clock for 13,500.00. Good luck with the Dart. I miss Mopars and someday when the price of SRT8's comes down I will be back in the fold.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Very cool Jeff! I dig the vintage places too. And Ron is a cool guy! Knows his car stuff. I know he dug Annabelle's when you guys came out this summer. Cleveland actually has a few old diners like that around, but don't seem to support the car scene. You guys should try to hit the shows in Erie next year. It's right in the historical part of town. I'll let you know when they're going. I always thought it would be cool to cruise around and fnd old spots like that to take pics at.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

One of his favorite things to do is punch "speed shop" or something automotive related into his Garmin and then go wherever it leads him. We did that up around Buffalo when I picked up the 12 bolt and got to see some pretty unique shops. I'd be up for a ride out to Erie next year, and even the Annabelle's cruise in. That was the biggest I have ever been to -- simply amazing.

Thread Information