Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

So i found a 68 Firebird

I found a 68 Firebird.

Ad read something like this:

It is a 1968 pontiac firebird 400. has been on the dragstrip since the mid 70's. the engine is a 400 block bored to 440. not original engine for this car, but the car is a factory 400. car has been sitting for 8 years and only started on occasion. just installed new fuel pump and new holley 750 carb. very solid body. one small dent in front fender and a few rust spots. floor and trunk pans are solid with no rust. car was indoors most of its life.

It has large slicks on the back of it but ultimately I would like to turn it into a street/strip car. Maybe in the future put and LS based motor in it if this one fails. The car doesnt look too bad, some very minor rust... minor being the key term relative to what I have been seeing on these cars.

What kind of additional stuff should I be looking at and what kind of pricing should I expect to pay for it?

A real 400 bird will have clues. Core support is different, 3/8 fuel line, factory upper mount traction bars with the upper mounts welded to the rearend housing is another one.

Providing the car still has it's original rearend, core support and fuel line???

These are just quicky clues that can determine if you are on the right track. From there I'd invest in PHS documentation. That's the great thing about Pontiacs, Chryslers, and Fords. All the original paperwork is out there. All you need is a vin number and call PHS. They can send you original bill of sale, window sticker with a list of options, everything that tell you exactly how the car was born before you plunk your hard earned money down.
    Don't pay firebird 400 money without knowing it's a real firebird 400 first.

Real firebird 400's are fetching a good deal of money now, both 1st and 2nd gens. It would help to see pics of the car to determine what is there, what is missing, what needs replaced etc....it's just too hard to put a price on.
    The 440 (if it is a 440) is created by using a 400 block with a 4.210 stroke 455 crank. Whether the 455 crank was turned down to fit (can be done with good machine shop) or they used an aftermarket crank with smaller mains to fit the 400,,,,are all questions that would have to be asked.
    Hope that helps...

Thread Information