Results 1 to 10 of 10

Replacing water pump on 78 Camaro LT

This is a discussion on Replacing water pump on 78 Camaro LT within the Classic Muscle forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I have coolant leaking from the 'weep hole thingy' and read earlier that pump should be replaced as soon as ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1

    Robins egg blue
    1978 Camaro Lt

    Smile Replacing water pump on 78 Camaro LT

    I have coolant leaking from the 'weep hole thingy' and read earlier that pump should be replaced as soon as can be, and it is a very easy task. Not having done this b4, and finding minimal information about replacing in my Chilton manual, are there any tips or things I should be aware of?

  2. #2
    Senior Member mrr23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    7,134

    dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

    not too bad. you'll have to remove the fan, belts, alternator, and power steering pump to get to it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    WhidbeyIs,Wash
    Posts
    8

    Black/Grey
    87RS

    It's really easy. Don't use RTV but they have gasket glue. Use that to glue the gasket to pump. Other then that few hrs and your done.

  4. #4
    Member since 1999 RATCHETMASTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    formerly FRESNO, CA.
    Posts
    48

    pewter
    99 WS6 now belongs to X

    you also have to drain the radiator and remove the lower radiator hose . . . that is sometimes a pain. If your lower rad hose is old, consider replacing it now. Then you can just cut it in half and makes it much easier to remove.
    99 T/A WS6 A4 Pewter
    02 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 EXT. CAB.
    1968 RS SS 350 camaro M4
    1969 Oldsmobile 442 convertible M3 (1of 87)
    1969 Firebird Turbo400
    1972 SS 454 Elcamino turbo 400
    1973 RS type LT Z28 M4
    and more 68 elco, 68 cutlass, 68 rs camaro, 74 Nova, 89 9C1 caprice, 95 LT1 caprice,

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by RATCHETMASTER View Post
    you also have to drain the radiator and remove the lower radiator hose . . . that is sometimes a pain. If your lower rad hose is old, consider replacing it now. Then you can just cut it in half and makes it much easier to remove.
    I would agree and change out the hoses....unless you know that they are fairly new. nothing worse then replacing the water pump to have a hose blow....especially since you basically have the system drained already.

  6. #6
    Junior Member 75TransAm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Palmdale, California
    Age
    47
    Posts
    9

    Cyclone Grey
    2005 GTO

    Since you are draining the coolant, you may want to consider changing out the thermostat to a high flow 160 degree. $10-$15 part could be cheap insurance. I have always found peace of mind knowing the whole cooling system has been checked and gone through. Good luck!

  7. #7
    Member since 1999 RATCHETMASTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    formerly FRESNO, CA.
    Posts
    48

    pewter
    99 WS6 now belongs to X

    Quote Originally Posted by 75TransAm View Post
    Since you are draining the coolant, you may want to consider changing out the thermostat to a high flow 160 degree. $10-$15 part could be cheap insurance. I have always found peace of mind knowing the whole cooling system has been checked and gone through. Good luck!
    Hey, palmdale, eh?

    I lived there in 90-92. I taught at lancaster high school. Lived in palmdale on lasker ave.
    I coached football, etc. and science.
    Lived there long?

  8. #8
    Junior Member 75TransAm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Palmdale, California
    Age
    47
    Posts
    9

    Cyclone Grey
    2005 GTO

    Going on 8 years. It's changed quite a bit since the 90s, but with the housing market on the decline, seems like the 90s all over again! Hopefully it will pick up soon. I'm confident it will. Seems like everyone is still moving up here for its affordability. So how do you like your Camaro? I had a 79 with t-tops. Now I have a 75 Trans Am that I just finished restoring.

  9. #9
    Member since 1999 RATCHETMASTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    formerly FRESNO, CA.
    Posts
    48

    pewter
    99 WS6 now belongs to X

    Your 75 looks great (avitar pic). That is one of my favorite colors for the TA. I also like the black and gold (of course!).
    How long have you had it?
    I guess your are refering to my 73? It is a great car but is in need of some body work. (rust from driving it one year here in Utah.)
    I bought the car when I lived in Fresno, Ca. in 89. IT was pretty clean then. I love the car . . . rs type lt z28 4 speed car.
    #s matching so I probably need to sell it and buy one that I can do what ever I want to do to it.

  10. #10
    Junior Member 75TransAm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Palmdale, California
    Age
    47
    Posts
    9

    Cyclone Grey
    2005 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by RATCHETMASTER View Post
    Your 75 looks great (avitar pic). That is one of my favorite colors for the TA. I also like the black and gold (of course!).
    How long have you had it?
    I guess your are refering to my 73? It is a great car but is in need of some body work. (rust from driving it one year here in Utah.)
    I bought the car when I lived in Fresno, Ca. in 89. IT was pretty clean then. I love the car . . . rs type lt z28 4 speed car.
    #s matching so I probably need to sell it and buy one that I can do what ever I want to do to it.
    I've had it for about 2 years now. It took me about a year and a half to restore it. It's numbers matching 400/ automatic car. There are a few little things left to do. The car was sitting under a pile of leaves out in Green Valley. My cousin picked up the car for a parts car. He had no idea it was a numbers matching car. I helped him out with his 81 T/A and he ended up giving me the car. The car was complete,howerver; it needed a major resoration. By the way, I'm new to the site, how to I post some pics of my cars?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replacing water pump
    By 12secws6 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-04-2008, 03:02 PM
  2. 96 - 02 Camaro water pump V6
    By TedsB4Csled in forum V6
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2008, 10:40 PM
  3. Do electric water pumps pump enough water for daily use?
    By xinthenight in forum External Engine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-02-2007, 10:04 PM
  4. Replacing AIR pump:
    By MarkuzLS1 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-20-2006, 05:20 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •