Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Rat Rod + LS1????

Hey guys . . I've been searchin for some time now for a body or complete car to start building a rat rod. I'm looking for a model A sedan/vicky, the classic 32 3 window, or possible 40's to 50's truck (i'm not super picky, especially if i get a good deal). Now if any of ya know about rat rods, its all about being different, unique, creative. I've been debatin on what motor to put in the rat rod, and thinkin about using an ls1 but somewhat disguised, similar to this:
    http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...dow/index.html

But in your opinions, does this completely miss the concept of a rat rod. Do this new of technology in a rat rod (keep in mind were talkin rat rod not hot rod) completely ruin what rat rod means?

My situation is that dad has an 99 ls1 out of a vette with 30,000 miles on it. We have never transplanted a computer controlled, fuel injected engine into an older car. Were thinkin that doin this in a rat rod will make our first transplant easier (rat rod usually = no fenders, hood, interior trim/covers).

My mind is still open to what power plant I will use, which definately depends on what vehicle i use! I just wanted to hear your guys opinions/feelings.
    2000 TA, A4, LS6 intake, Magnaflow, WS9 hood, BMR STB, UMI boxed SFC, Spohn LCA, 9" Ford
    1998 TA Vert,​ NBM, M6, Flowmaster, WS6 hood, WS6 airbox, C6 wheels, UMI SFC, BMR STB
    1998 Bird, Black, V6, A4, 18" 077's, Wings West Body Kit
    1980 Formula, NBM, 402BB, cam, DR timing, LT headers, 3" TD w/ flowmasters, TH350
    1980 TA, Black, 301, bone stock

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Well you could always make it carburated and hide the coil packs. I saw that some company makes weber side draft carbs that fit a standard 4bbl intake. Then people really wouldnt know what engine was in there.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Well you could always make it carburated and hide the coil packs. I saw that some company makes weber side draft carbs that fit a standard 4bbl intake. Then people really wouldnt know what engine was in there.
    Ditto. I'd so something different. At least go with one of those intakes that has the 8 individual ventures. Those are nice!

If your interested, my dad has a '30 Model A Tudor Sedan he's looking to sell. Its rust free, in GREAT condition, and has only been repainted once. Been in a number of movies as well. I wanted to do a rat rod out of it as well, but between me and my dad, we got to many other projects...

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

It would look like bumblebees engine in transformers.. I love the old rat rods. Ive been looking for a good flathead v8

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Question Off Topic

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    It would look like bumblebees engine in transformers.. I love the old rat rods. Ive been looking for a good flathead v8
    Perhaps a little off topic, but I never did get that part about Bumblebee's engine, it wasn't an ls2 like the movie car had. Why didn't GM take the opportunity to show off one of their new engines?
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

I dunno, but she sounded pretty stupid saying that shit about a double pumper and a high rise intake when it was fuel injected.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    I dunno, but she sounded pretty stupid saying that shit about a double pumper and a high rise intake when it was fuel injected.
    SO true.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    Perhaps a little off topic, but I never did get that part about Bumblebee's engine, it wasn't an ls2 like the movie car had. Why didn't GM take the opportunity to show off one of their new engines?
    Bumblebees engine looked like it had some type of new injection with 8 seperate intakes like posted above...

42 seconds in!!!

Bumblebee

Bumblebees engine looked like it had some type of new injection with 8 seperate intakes like posted above...

42 seconds in!!!

Yeah the engine was sick, but GM missed an opportunity for some attention.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Very true. A nice ls1 would have made me shit bricks

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Valve covers look like SBC.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

42 seconds in!!!

That was 8 single barrel webers or stromborg carbs. They can be made FI. Check out inglese.com

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    well i dont think i would go carburated if i went ls1. . . to me thats the advantage of using a new generation motor is the fuel injection.

Ditto. I'd so something different. At least go with one of those intakes that has the 8 individual ventures. Those are nice!

If your interested, my dad has a '30 Model A Tudor Sedan he's looking to sell. Its rust free, in GREAT condition, and has only been repainted once. Been in a number of movies as well. I wanted to do a rat rod out of it as well, but between me and my dad, we got to many other projects...
    man thats exactly what i want but that one sounds expensive

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    man thats exactly what i want but that one sounds expensive
    Its no $2,000 car, but for what it is, I think what he'd be willing to sell it for is pretty reasonable. I think last time I talked to him about it he said somewhere around 8ish.

Maybe I missed something but isn't the point of having a rat rod to have it in bear rust with no paint?

If that Model A is in the condition you say wouldn't it be a shame to turn it into a rat rod?

And about the fuel injection setup, you could take a look at the ones from retrotek (professional products also has non-direct port systems). Their not direct injected, but top one of those on high rise manifold with a traditional air cleaner and you'll definitely pull off that classic look.

Also, what would look sick would be the chrome finished professional products manifold, its not that expensive.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Maybe I missed something but isn't the point of having a rat rod to have it in bear rust with no paint?

If that Model A is in the condition you say wouldn't it be a shame to turn it into a rat rod?
    Its in great condition for a 79 year old car, but its not perfect by any means. I was just saying, its so original its not even funny. I think it was repainted once, about 40 years ago.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Heres a pic of it. You can see my grandpaws 30 Model A Tudor Deluxe Phaeton in the background. I think theres about 200 known to exist. VERY rare car.
    Last edited by squee; 02-09-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Thumbs up

Heres a pic of it. You can see my grandpaws 30 Model A Tudor Deluxe Phaeton in the background. I think theres about 200 known to exist. VERY rare car.
    DAMN, nice rides! Are they original motors?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

DAMN, nice rides! Are they original motors?
    Thanks man! Original all the way...After the last movie though, the sedan needs a new vinyl top since the idiots destroyed it, but other than that, its pretty damn good condition. People have NO respect... The other one even MUCH better condition, obviously.

Thread Information