Pure stock drags...

Here are some cool "in car" videos of a recent pure stock drag race...

This is an LS6 chevelle (everyone should know what that is) vs. a 69 judge, probably a ram air III version judging by the way the chevelle ran it down.
    Chevelle runs 12.80 at 111.77 mph.

L88 vette, nuff said. Runs 11.40's at 125 mph.

A little L79 66 vette. That's a little 327/350hp with a hydraulic cam and 11:1 compression.
    The vette went 13.07 at 104 mph.

Here is a 66 nova with the same engine. Puts a whoopin on the 69 SS/RS bigblock camaro in the other lane, just like Grumpy did it
    Little nova went 12.91 at 109 mph.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-25-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Good stuff, FBJ! Where was the event held at?

That's Mid Michigan Motorplex. They also have them on the East coast (Atco I think?) and they have had some in Georgia at the Year One bash.
    Trying to get it going out here on the West coast now too.

I'll edit that with ET's, they didn't seem to post. All of those cars above run 4.56 gears with the acception of the chevelle, it uses a 4.10.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-25-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Here is a little 70 COPO nova with the LT1 350/360 hp. Also running 4.56 gears. It went 12.74 at 109.89 mph.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Awesome vids. Thanks for sharing!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I am always amazed by the fact that these pure stock guys are putting it to the ground through skinny stock style tires. If I recall, there is a guy with a blue L88 Corvette that holds the record -- might be running high 10's?

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I am always amazed by the fact that these pure stock guys are putting it to the ground through skinny stock style tires. If I recall, there is a guy with a blue L88 Corvette that holds the record -- might be running high 10's?
    You are right, an L88 currently holds the record in the pure stock series I believe. As you can see, that stock L88 in the video above is a pure stocker, and they aren't a slouch either, a good tune and some gears and they fly.

To make it easier to understand for those interested, Pure Stock only allows a couple of variances. You are allowed an overbore of the engine (obviously these things are 40+ years old) and you are allowed an aftermarket exhaust system. You are still required to run stock manifolds, but you are allowed to change the system after that. And even this has stipulations. You are only allowed a 2 1/2 inch system (most of these muscle cars had 2 1/4") and you are allowed any brand muffler you wish as long as it resembles and is mounted in the stock configuration, which means if the car had a transverse muffler originally, that's what you must use. That's it, no porting, no camshafts, no traction devices, no mods of any kind allowed.
    I ran this class a few times in my 70 formula back when they had it at Youngstown/Salem Ohio, and they are very stingy on the rules, and they do check these cars, even engine tear downs if someone has a claim of cheating. Very much like NHRA Stock Eliminator racing.

The FAST series is a little different. They have to appear factory in everyway, down to correct casting numbers and factory issue parts. But what's inside that you can't see is fair game. That means roller camshafts, stroker cranks, lightweight transmission internals, spools in the diff, and lightening of the cars is allowed so long as it's not visible. These guys are more serious and there are several running in the low 10's and even a couple of 9 second cars now.

It's tricky to launch on these bias plys, but not as horrible as one might think. Being a bias ply it has an advantage over a radial tire (they don't squirm around). It's the lack of size that makes it tricky. They have a very small 6-7" contact patch.
    It seems most of those guys agree that a radial of the same size doesn't offer as much traction as the bias plys, and the bias plys respond well to a healthy burnout too.
    Only problem with the bias plys is they have more rolling resistance than a radial does. But most of them prefer to take the traction advantage over the rolling resistance advantage. We were pumping those tires up to about 55psi to try and compensate for that,,,lol. Alot has changed since I've done any of this though.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-26-2012 at 06:24 AM.

Here's a 69 L71/L89, which is a 427/435hp tri power with aluminum heads. This run shows how difficult it can be to put the power down. He spins and fishtails all the way through second gear, then just pops into 3rd. Ran 11.58 at 122 mph. Another one with 4.56's.

Thread Information