Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 289

Next Project - 1970 Oldsmobile W-31

This is a discussion on Next Project - 1970 Oldsmobile W-31 within the Classic Muscle forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; 14" -- I was kind of surprised after we bought the car, but then checking a bit it seems that ...

  1. #21
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    14" -- I was kind of surprised after we bought the car, but then checking a bit it seems that a lot of cars from this era have 14" wheels.

  2. #22
    your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cleveland ohio
    Posts
    11,376

    trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    14" -- I was kind of surprised after we bought the car, but then checking a bit it seems that a lot of cars from this era have 14" wheels.
    thats what i thought. i have 3 or 4 of those rims from an 70's early 80's you can have for shipping. i have some 215 70 14 you can have to if you want. starting to clean stuff up. and get rid of a bunch.

  3. #23
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    thats what i thought. i have 3 or 4 of those rims from an 70's early 80's you can have for shipping. i have some 215 70 14 you can have to if you want. starting to clean stuff up. and get rid of a bunch.

    That would be good -- I actually ended up with 2 rims that are slightly bent. These are the Super Stock II's? I have no idea on the width, maybe 7"?

  4. #24
    your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cleveland ohio
    Posts
    11,376

    trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    That would be good -- I actually ended up with 2 rims that are slightly bent. These are the Super Stock II's? I have no idea on the width, maybe 7"?
    i'm pretty sure 7. like most of the "old school wheels". i'll get some pics in the next week they are at my other house.

  5. #25
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Talked to the builder last week and the machine work is done on our block. We are not in any hurry, so we probably won't be going up to get it until later this Fall. In the meantime, the wheels have been painted and the tires are mounted up. The chassis is back on its wheels for the first time -- that was a good feeling. I took the intake over to a friend's and used his bead blast cabinet to start cleaning it up -- I have sharp stuff in mine so it was just easier to go for a ride.

    Pic of the W-31 intake before I started cleanup:


  6. #26
    She Moderator KahanaReef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Age
    54
    Posts
    15,590

    Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    14" -- I was kind of surprised after we bought the car, but then checking a bit it seems that a lot of cars from this era have 14" wheels.
    I think most cars came with 14" wheels back then My first Chevelle had 14's up front and 15" in the back. Oh, and jacked up with air shocks

    It was the cool thing to do back then

  7. #27
    Member Z27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    123

    Green Red Black
    71 SS 00 SS 06 Impy SS

    This is like an instant replay. My nephews finally got their dad's 70 W-31 out of grandma's garage where it sat for 26 years. The anti freeze had all crystalized and the intake heat risor was full of corn from a mouse. The engine got a freshen-up and the interior a rehab job. Body and gold paint still excellent. It was out and about for awhile, the nephew got married and it hasn't been seen since.

    Good luck with your project.

  8. #28
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Still have some work to do on the intake. Bead blasting cleaned up most of it, but it has a mottled appearance now. All my other intakes have either been powdercoated or painted in the past... this one has to stay natural aluminum for originality. Any suggestions?

  9. #29
    None Shall Pass Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East of Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    3,828

    Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Still have some work to do on the intake. Bead blasting cleaned up most of it, but it has a mottled appearance now. All my other intakes have either been powdercoated or painted in the past... this one has to stay natural aluminum for originality. Any suggestions?
    Lots of elbow grease .... I would maybe suggest Mothers polish. I've used it to polish intakes before - but they were a machined aluminum. I'm not sure how well it would work on a rougher textured aluminum. You might consider a good aluminum rim cleaner also - it may help clean it up with a little less work. But you gotta be careful with them - some could make it look worse.

  10. #30
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Lots of elbow grease .... I would maybe suggest Mothers polish. I've used it to polish intakes before - but they were a machined aluminum. I'm not sure how well it would work on a rougher textured aluminum. You might consider a good aluminum rim cleaner also - it may help clean it up with a little less work. But you gotta be careful with them - some could make it look worse.

    I thought about rim cleaner... I think I may have some Mothers from when I worked on a set last year. As you said, it is a rough cast finish for the most part so polish might just make a mess in the long run.

  11. #31
    its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Woodlands/spring/houston
    Posts
    2,142

    pewter
    99 trans am


  12. #32
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Tough crowd...

    Ok -- I bead blasted the intake and then went over it with a fine wire cup and cone. It took it back to a natural finish with just a bit of shine. I have spent the last 3 nights sandblasting small parts and sorting through what needs to go to the engine builder so we can hear this puppy roar some time next month on the dyno. I am also awaiting an order from Fusick's for a new dipstick tube, oil fill cap and some othe rmiscellaneous small parts that were beyond saving. My new dilemma is the crud on the bottom of the valve covers -- not sure how I am going to clean it all out as it has a long shallow baffle. I do not want to be dropping junk into my fresh engine.

  13. #33
    its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Woodlands/spring/houston
    Posts
    2,142

    pewter
    99 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Tough crowd...

    Ok -- I bead blasted the intake and then went over it with a fine wire cup and cone. It took it back to a natural finish with just a bit of shine. I have spent the last 3 nights sandblasting small parts and sorting through what needs to go to the engine builder so we can hear this puppy roar some time next month on the dyno. I am also awaiting an order from Fusick's for a new dipstick tube, oil fill cap and some othe rmiscellaneous small parts that were beyond saving. My new dilemma is the crud on the bottom of the valve covers -- not sure how I am going to clean it all out as it has a long shallow baffle. I do not want to be dropping junk into my fresh engine.
    you should bead blast em, then give em a bath in ez off oven cleaner...that shit works nice on stuck on grease...

  14. #34
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    you should bead blast em, then give em a bath in ez off oven cleaner...that shit works nice on stuck on grease...

    I don't dare use an abrasive blaster on them due to the baffles. No way I can guarantee getting it all out from under them. I was hoping to find stock style replacements from Fusicks, but no luck.

  15. #35
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Here's a shot of the intake all cleaned up and ready to ship:





    It looks as if a valve cover was replaced at some point -- the really cruddy one actually has some blue paint on it rather than the gold it should have. You can see the baffles and why I don't dare toss them in the blast cabinet:



  16. #36
    She Moderator KahanaReef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Age
    54
    Posts
    15,590

    Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

    The intake looks a lot better.

  17. #37
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Here's a shot of the intake all cleaned up and ready to ship:


    Click for full size


    It looks as if a valve cover was replaced at some point -- the really cruddy one actually has some blue paint on it rather than the gold it should have. You can see the baffles and why I don't dare toss them in the blast cabinet:


    Click for full size
    That blue, (if it's a baby or powerder color) is 1970's GM engine paint prolly.. I used to associate that color with smoggers.. Also blast those in a bead blaster and you'll most likely have the trouble I had with the first TDC block and heads.. I loved how it looked but I'll never bead an engine block again. Looking good tho Jeff! Good luck! iirc, from jet fire 330-455 all had the same (~) factory rocker covers..
    Last edited by Smittro; 10-15-2010 at 04:26 AM.

  18. #38
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    I forgot about your issue with the TDC. Before I ship the intake, it is getting washed and blown out real good. I believe you are correct -- the valve covers are the same for those engines.

  19. #39
    your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cleveland ohio
    Posts
    11,376

    trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

    you could use kerosene (sp) and a brush i have done that before.

  20. #40
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    you could use kerosene (sp) and a brush i have done that before.

    I kind of figured I would have to soak them in something. My parts washer is currently in pieces to install a sump and filter. I had to use gasoline to clean the wheel bearings on the Monte... may be time to go buy some kerosene.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: anybody familiar with the oldsmobile aurora.
    By dav-02ws6-m6 in forum General Help
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-03-2012, 03:44 AM
  2. I need some '69 Oldsmobile Cutlass parts! (help!)
    By FasstChevys in forum Classic Muscle
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-27-2011, 01:06 PM
  3. F/S or Trade 1970 SS396 El Camino Project
    By H8tulooze in forum Vehicles For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 07:42 AM
  4. Any oldsmobile forums?
    By TARZAN in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-31-2007, 03:59 AM
  5. 1970 oldsmobile cutlass convertible forsale
    By z-28lover in forum Vehicles For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-25-2006, 11:32 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •