Blue
    2000 Camaro SS Convertibl

New Grand National

I have to admit, I'm more of a V8 muscle car fan, but I'm always intrigued with the Buick Grand National (and the GNX), I thought it was an amazing car that had great performance, (even by today's standards), to go with some nice interior comfort features. I know the unreliable turbos and f'ed up digital controls killed this car eventually, but I think 20 years later...the Buick Division (what's left of it) would be smart to go after this beast.

My simple thoughts: Build a RWD (no front rear drive b.s.) simple muscle car w/ a blown V-6. Maybe a 3.8 blown, to bump power up to 350hp?? (remember in the 80's they bumped the 150hp 3.8 to 260 hp, so it can be done)
    Don't overkill the features of this car to make it affordable.

With the Buick Division on it's death nell...Do you guys think this beast would make it?

NBM M6
    2000 SS

It would do it for me!!!! I like old school. I worked at a buick dealer in 87 and was rippin around in GN's all day long. But it has to be a rear wheel drive for sure. I like the idea.

Pontiac has done this idea already with blown 3.8's in the GTP's,,,,problem for me was the front wheel drive I'm old school and agree,,,,I prefer rear wheel drive. Don't know if GM has a platform to pull this off or not,,but it sure sounds cool.

The GN's are still very much alive and have a huge following. There are some killer GN's running around here on the street that run 11's no sweat, and they drive so docile they are very unsuspecting. Very cool cars indeed. Some more serious GN's are running 8's now at well over 160 mph. I know of one that is street driven around here on occasion.

I remember when they were new, at the time 5.0 mustangs were everywhere and they were quick in there own right for the time, and they were always willing to race, then the GN's started hitting the streets, and it wasn't long before the boost was cranked up and they were flying. For the longest time they were the car to watch for on the street.

Even today the GN still holds a strong reputation on the street.

After the GN craze, GM came out with the Syclone and Typhoons, I had one of these beasts,,,a Typhoon. A bigger v-6 in the form of a 4.3 along with a turbo and all wheel drive. Man what a terror that thing was.

I think GM had a few great platforms going they could have capitalized on but they didn't. The Impala SS from mid 90's was another great car that has a huge following still. Funny thing was GM tried to bring that back in a front wheel drive platform I don't think it got the warm welcomes GM was expecting,,,as a result it didn't last long,,,

I'm pretty content now to just keep the collection I have,,,as I don't see GM coming out with anything I care to own,,,or even in a price range I would consider reasonable.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Actually, they still make the Impala and the Impala SS

NBM M6
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by C&Cbird View Post
    Actually, they still make the Impala and the Impala SS
    You gotta be kidding me? Would you buy one of these junk cars? I would not. Impala SS is a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Black
    1987 Buick Grand National

It would be better served for Buick to stick to what they are doing. They have always shared a platform from their stronger selling sister cars. The Monte Carlo always sold better than the regal. The Chevelle always sold better than the GSs. Even though the GN out performed the Monte Carlo SS, Corvette, Hurst Olds, Mustang HO, I guarantee you Chevy, Ford and the others were all laughing their way to the bank. GN was cool because it was a Buick engine. What engine would they use now? A "corporate" engine. The Buick faithful would never embrace it. Buick wont do it because of cost, and just like the end of the rear wheel drive platform Buicks, they cant sell enough to have their own platform, and still must share everything they do with someone else. In my opinion, Buick snuck up on everybody in performance while their performance numbers were down. Just good fortune of their timing. Im more excited about a new Camaro than I would be about another new Buick.................

BTW, this thing is distacting off to the side while Im trying to type in the smiley box.....LOL

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Collector Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am CE

Quote Originally Posted by pewterzron View Post
    You gotta be kidding me? Would you buy one of these junk cars? I would not. Impala SS is a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I own an Impala SS...............a real one. I was excited when I saw that NASCAR racer slide sideways in that commercial, but come to find out he pulled the e-brake......

Black
    1998 Trans Am

No, I wouldn't buy one of the newer ones, they are a joke. In fact, I don't plan on buying anymore gm products unless something happens to my car and I have to get a new one, its my first and probably last gm vehicle.

White & Burgundy
    94 Miata/87 442

Buick tried to bring the GN back in 2000-2001 with a blown V-6. I see your in Saginaw, I am in Flint (old home to Buick HQ). I have seen the prototype car twice. It is black, has a different hood than a standard regal, an updated GN logo, Baer Brakes, differnt wheels, black & grey leather interior. Some guy that was a buick engineer was running around with it....it was maybe 2005 the last time I saw it.

NBM M6
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by SS/CETA View Post
    I own an Impala SS...............a real one. I was excited when I saw that NASCAR racer slide sideways in that commercial, but come to find out he pulled the e-brake......

Click for full size
    The new ones are a joke, but yours is nice. The new ones just have the front wheel drive with the SS emblems on them, that is a joke.

Nice car by the way.

Collector Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am CE

I appreciate the compliment, and I agree with your statement, as well.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I think the idea of a new Buick Grand National would be kick ass. I always liked those cars.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

Attachment 16624
    One of my favorite cars, I didn't really know much about it until like 5 years ago, when I was at college and I would see one it the parking lot. I would go out of my way to walk past it as I went to class. A really sexy car, especially for a sedan! I never did find out who drove the thing, it probably would have have been embassassing, since I would have asked if I could get a ride in it. When I become rich and start car collecting it definately will make it on the list of cars to purchase.

NBM M6
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by SS/CETA View Post
    I appreciate the compliment, and I agree with your statement, as well.
    I saw a guy put a six speed trans in a 96 impala SS, and then put a supercharger in it. The car was BAD ASS. That is a real impala SS, not the front wheel drive crap they make now. But just my opinion.

Thread Information