New Cam or not.

This is a discussion on New Cam or not. within the Classic Muscle forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I have a 73 Dodge charger that have a 360 engine bored 30 over. it have a 454/480 crane cam, ...

Vicksburg. Ms.

99 Trans Am

New Cam or not.

I have a 73 Dodge charger that have a 360 engine bored 30 over. it have a 454/480 crane cam, 750 holley and a RPM intake,headers, stock Dist. and 8mm wires.Eledbrock Alm. heads with 202/160 64cc heads.323 pos. rearend gears. The car runs really good but I feel that I can get more out of the car if I go to a little bigger cam.I was thinking about a 467/494 along with a stall. The trans Is a TCI trans that I have had for a while, it shifts great.What do you guys think of the bigger cam.The car is a street driver no racer,but a stop light to stop light runner, when the time is right.

You aren't asking for much increase comparing what you have listed as far as lift goes.

It depends on how old that Crane cam is. They went out of business for a while, but have recently come back. Alot of their older grinds from say,,,,10 years ago or so,,,, are of old lobe designs,,,and Crane generally ground everything on a 112 lsa, overall they were pretty mild camshafts.

Even staying with similar lift numbers, you could still find performance from lobe profiles, duration, lobe seperation, and intake centerlines. I'm not familiar with the 360 mopar so I can't comment on this, but the 383/440's I've played with have a much larger diameter lifter which allowed cam manufactures to grind camshafts with more aggressive lobe profiles,,,,even 40 years ago. Big block mopars always had that advantage over the other manufactures.

In any event,,,the converter alone with what you already have will probably give you the performance you are looking for.

Thread Information