Red
    2001 ws6

ls1 into 67 vett what needs to be done

Hey guys my dad has a 67 vett and recently acquried an ls1. He wants to know if the stock manifolds will work or will he have to have something custom done. Any other problems/experience anyone has with this swap will be appreciated. thanks!

Red
    2001 ws6

bump

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Best bet is to hit up Amazon and peruse their selection of LS Swap books -- there is a ton of info and might event be a C2 example in one of them. On the Vettes, the front crossmember is pretty far forward so that is usually not an issue. I would think that the stock manifolds will fit, but it'll all be custom from there back. He'll need to upgrade the fuel system to supply 58 psi to the engine, unless he is going with a carb setup for the LS1. Was he able to grab the harness and PCM as well? What are the plans for the transmission?

Red
    2001 ws6

He has the harness and pcm and is unsure if he's going to put the 6 speed from the ta unless u don't have to modify the floorboard. The fuel system will be upgraded

I'm doing a 63 vette currently.

LS is an easy fit (No cross member to worry about) but you will have to keep an eye on the rear steer style centerlink/tie rod setup that runs under the oil pan. Truck pan won't work, you'll need a low clearance vette pan, or possibly the 4th gen camaro pan might work....

Truck exhaust manifolds do the trick, just have to custom bend pipes up to them. Steering box is your only obstacle on the driver side, and it's not that big on these C3 vettes.

Transmission, I'm doing the Keisler TKO600 retro swap. The T56 absolutely will not fit, WAY to big and would require major floor surgery. Even the stock muncie is a tight fit.

Keisler makes a "perfect fit" 5 speed with a modified smaller case,,,,and it's still tight tight tight. In some cases people have mentioned needing to shim the body mounts for clearance (since the cross member is fixed and part of the frame) But with the "perfect fit" TKO600 from Keisler, it fits. Only mod I've had to do is to take the ash tray out and shave the bottom off. It protrudes about 1" below the trans tunnel,,,,,yes it's that close.

This is the second one I've done, pretty slick overdrive setup engineered specifically for the C3's. It's the only way to go if you prefer an overdrive in these things. Prepare ahead and order long before you're ready, they have a 6 week lead time.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 10-01-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Pics?

I wish our C3 had a five speed -- would be so much better on the highway. Being a close ratio trans, I row through the gears pretty quick in our car.

black cherry
    1939 Chevy

You're correct, a 2.52 low gear, wide ratio trans would be a big benfit on the street!! In my old '55 with a 301" and close ratio 2.20 low gear trans I still had to almost slip the clutch to get it going from a stop. The 2.52 made ALL the difference in the world!!

You just need more rear gear for that 2.20 and all would be fine.

GM never stuck those 2.20's in front of less than about a 3.73 gear, and most were 4.10's or more. Likely could have used a rear gear like that anyway with a high winding 301

Father ran that same engine/trans combo in his 57 convertable, and used 4.56 gears. That little screamer loved rpm.

Primer
    1964 ChevyII Nova

TBSS manifolds will work too!

Thread Information