Black
    1997 Z-28

LS into 68 camaro

Hey y'all. Been a very long time since I posted anything but everytime I have a question and search I find the answer. So I guess I finally found something that I could find no clear answer. Here's the scoope.

Just like title says, its one of our guys at the shop. Boss called last night and said he found ls1 short block cheap(picking up today). We don't have spare ecms laying around, but the owner of the 68 has a digital 7. So here is my question. Can the digital 7 control fuel? I see where it has a lot of features, but fuel managment I did not see. Thanks for your help in advance.

I assume you are talking about the digital 7 MSD box.

In which case,,,,no, it's not a fuel management system.

It's just a fancy digital version of their spark control box that provides individual control of each cylinder (among other things) so unless you are a savy tuner that is looking for every last hundredth it's not worth the added expense for a street/strip car.
    I run the digital 6 version on mine, which has about everything you need for a street/strip car. Timing retard for a power adder, timing retard for starting, 2 rev limits, one for a 2 step (trans brake) etc...

If you want aftermarket EFI control with the ability to tune the most popular is from FAST. There are others as well.
    If you want to keep it GM I always use Howell. They supply the factory computer with a custom tune as well as the custom made harness for your particular application. Great for retro swaps, simple plug and play.
    Only problem though, if you want to do any tuning you'll need aftermarket software like HPtuner.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Formula LS6

LS engine in a 1st gen

As long as the discussion has started regarding a 1st gen; I have questions. I'm wrapping up an LS6 install in my 4th gen and I have the LS1 with assorted parts left over that I'm thinking about installing in my 1st gen. The debate I have is whether I should use the Corvette/ CTS-V pulley system on the car, or use the F-body/ truck pulley system on the car. The LS6 parts are new take-offs vs. the old LS1 parts. I'll sell the ones I don't use. Opinions?

Black
    1997 Z-28

I would think it would be a matter of clearance more than anything else. I know in other swaps we have done the f-body vs y-body brackets were selected based on clearance for AC and the other accessories. This is the first 1st gen ls swap I have been involved in so no solid help. But I would mock up both and see which fits better.

I didn't think the digital 7 (you were correct sir, sorry for not clarifying) would manage fuel based on what I had seen on summit about the unit, but the guy has it and I thought I would ask. I thought if I was wrong and it did, I could save him some money. I have done several swaps (TPI/LT1/LS1) into rods, and have always used factory computers and harness so he will just have to save some money and get them.

Thread Information