Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Keep the muscle or sell it?

This is a discussion on Keep the muscle or sell it? within the Classic Muscle forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Keep the Chevelle (Classic Muscle) and get a LSX car for a DD. Yep, that is what I did: Then ...

'98,'00 Bird '03, 14 Vets

Keep the Chevelle (Classic Muscle) and get a LSX car for a DD.

Yep, that is what I did:

Then when you don't want to run your Hot Rod on the street / can't afford the race gas etc.... You can get into your LSX car and get 17-29mpg depending on what your doing and cruise comfortably without drawing AS MUCH attention. That's what I do. I even went stealth on the street so as not to draw the wrong attention at time if you know what I mean.....

Quote Originally Posted by JC70SS View Post
    It is about 675hp. Handling is not bad as the complete suspension has been rebuilt and I have an AGR steering box.

What I don't like is classic car insurance is very restrictive. I work at a very secluded place, yet it is not covered for an occasional drive to work. Also if I want to stop for a gallon of milk on the way back from somewhere, it is not covered in a parking lot.
    Give Grundy Worldwide a call man. I use them on 7 of our cars and it's been great. There is no mileage restrictions, I can take the cars to lunch, run errands etc....they actual want you to enjoy your car. Mine are covered no matter where I take them whether I'm driving or it's on a trailer. I've never had a bit of problem with them.
    I used to have Hagerty and they sucked. They were much like you just explained.

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

[QUOTE=Mecinoid;1323176]Keep the Chevelle (Classic Muscle) and get a LSX car for a DD.

Yep, that is what I did:

Then when you don't want to run your Hot Rod on the street / can't afford the race gas etc.... You can get into your LSX car and get 17-29mpg depending on what your doing and cruise comfortably without drawing AS MUCH attention. That's what I do. I even went stealth on the street so as not to draw the wrong attention at time if you know what I mean.....

QUOTE]

Thats one nice @ss Camaro.

white
    98 Ram air T/A Ls1/T-56

Smile

JC70SS I forgot to mention, I do not know who you have for the classic insurance, I have Hagerty and they are terrific, I pay 215.00 a year or something like that, I have no mileage restrictions or rules that you can only drive to shows kinda crap. I was actually in an accident a few years ago and they let me pick the shop I wanted to fix my car, never gave me any hassle and when I got the car back it was nicer than before the accident. The best part of it was after they paid to fix my car they DID NOT give me the boot. They know people who have these cars take better care of them then they do their new ones with payments (Im way guilty on that) and do everything possible to make sure nothing happens to the vehicle. I highly recommend Hagerty. I dont think they insure race cars though, but your car is kinda like mine its pretty close to stock with a few modifications right

Quote Originally Posted by RARON455 View Post
    JC70SS I forgot to mention, I do not know who you have for the classic insurance, I have Hagerty and they are terrific, I pay 215.00 a year or something like that, I have no mileage restrictions or rules that you can only drive to shows kinda crap. I was actually in an accident a few years ago and they let me pick the shop I wanted to fix my car, never gave me any hassle and when I got the car back it was nicer than before the accident. The best part of it was after they paid to fix my car they DID NOT give me the boot. They know people who have these cars take better care of them then they do their new ones with payments (Im way guilty on that) and do everything possible to make sure nothing happens to the vehicle. I highly recommend Hagerty. I dont think they insure race cars though, but your car is kinda like mine its pretty close to stock with a few modifications right

Are you sure???? Hagerty is what I used to have and they had mileage restrictions on my junk......I had to mail them the odometer readings every year, and wasn't allowed to go over 2,500 miles a year,,,it was a compete joke,,,thats not even a freakin' oil change. I went in circles with those people, and argued until blue in the face. So I dumped them and went Grundy about 8 years ago,,,no more mileage problems and great people.

Maybe Hagerty has changed their ways since I used them????

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Are you sure???? Hagerty is what I used to have and they had mileage restrictions on my junk......I had to mail them the odometer readings every year, and wasn't allowed to go over 2,500 miles a year,,,it was a compete joke,,,thats not even a freakin' oil change. I went in circles with those people, and argued until blue in the face. So I dumped them and went Grundy about 8 years ago,,,no more mileage problems and great people.

Maybe Hagerty has changed their ways since I used them????
    I was looking into going with Leland West, ever heard of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Zedicous View Post
    I was looking into going with Leland West, ever heard of them?
    No sir, not sure I have heard of them. Ever since I went with Grundy I quit looking around.
    Where abouts are they located? I will have to look them up and see what they are about. Thanks.

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

No sir, not sure I have heard of them. Ever since I went with Grundy I quit looking around.
    Where abouts are they located? I will have to look them up and see what they are about. Thanks.
    I believe CA. Just go to www.lelandwest.com
    They do have milage plans, i was going to go with the 2,500 a year,
    since i only seem to drive the C5 about that. It would cost me $388
    for the full year with 100,000 coverage. They call themselves The Collectible Car Insurance Company.

[QUOTE=Zedicous;1323396]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mecinoid View Post
    Keep the Chevelle (Classic Muscle) and get a LSX car for a DD.

Yep, that is what I did:

QUOTE]

Thats one nice @ss Camaro.
    Thanks, we are in the process of revamping the engine management and monitoring systems right now. Our crew has gotten lazy lately with all this rain and our heavy work schedules. Heck if I'm going to do all the work by myself again. But, it's looking like that will be the case. Just as long as they have it ready by this time next month, I'll be happy. I have to give them a chance to complete before I drop the hammer on them to get r done. ;-)

On the insurance thing - I just insure the '67 like all my other cars. 500 ded 100/250/500 - 50 comp and towing it runs me $245.34 every six months. However, I don't have an expensive paint job or anything on her. That's cheaper than my '98 Bird to insure.
    For the Bird it is $296.21 every six months. Allstate Good Driver / Multicar Discount
    Last edited by Mecinoid; 02-21-2008 at 12:13 AM.

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

[QUOTE=Mecinoid;1325198]

Thanks, we are in the process of revamping the engine management and monitoring systems right now. Our crew has gotten lazy lately with all this rain and our heavy work schedules. Heck if I'm going to do all the work by myself again. But, it's looking like that will be the case. Just as long as they have it ready by this time next month, I'll be happy. I have to give them a chance to complete before I drop the hammer on them to get r done. ;-)

On the insurance thing - I just insure the '67 like all my other cars. 500 ded 100/250/500 - 50 comp and towing it runs me $245.34 every six months. However, I don't have an expensive paint job or anything on her. That's cheaper than my '98 Bird to insure.
    For the Bird it is $296.21 every six months. Allstate Good Driver / Multicar Discount
    Not to shabby, but how old are you, that has a lot to do with it..

Of course it does. I was figuring that was a Old - Old school thread. Oops, sorry .... I'm in my 40's now.

It was looking to me like I should look into the collectable insurance from what the guys were quoting their insurance to be up top there. But, really to me; $245.34 seemed really good considering. I spend about $5000 a year on all my insurances: 7 cars, 1 Motorhome, Boat, Life, House, * and Earthquake.
    Last edited by Mecinoid; 02-21-2008 at 07:47 AM.

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Of course it does. I was figuring that was a Old - Old school thread. Oops, sorry .... I'm in my 40's now.

It was looking to me like I should look into the collectable insurance from what the guys were quoting their insurance to be up top there. But, really to me; $245.34 seemed really good considering. I spend about $5000 a year on all my insurances: 7 cars, 1 Motorhome, Boat, Life, House, * and Earthquake.
    Well, i'm still in my 30's so far $380 something for the C5 for a year it seemed like a real great deal, if your in wonder just go to the site and check, its an easy way to look..

Well, i'm still in my 30's so far $380 something for the C5 for a year it seemed like a real great deal, if your in wonder just go to the site and check, its an easy way to look..
    $380 a year full coverage ??? Wow, I'm going to follow that link then. ;-)

Just checked with the annual mileage I put on it would be $803 per year or more since it was for less coverage on my Bird. So, that would be an increase of $208 per year and limit me to 5000 miles per year. So that's no good for the Bird. I'll put on 10-12K miles this year.
    Now for the Camaro $530 a year.... It would save me $40 a year. At that rate and not knowing how they pay out.... or if it has $50 comp or, how quickly they pay out. I think I'd just stay with what I have. So, for me it still doesn't make sense.... Plus it does limit me to 2500 miles .... I might put that on this year. ;-)

But, it's always worth looking into..... Thanks !!!

Just checked with the annual mileage I put on it would be $803 per year or more since it was for less coverage on my Bird. So, that would be an increase of $208 per year and limit me to 5000 miles per year. So that's no good for the Bird. I'll put on 10-12K miles this year.
    Now for the Camaro $530 a year.... It would save me $40 a year. At that rate and not knowing how they pay out.... or if it has $50 comp or, how quickly they pay out. I think I'd just stay with what I have. So, for me it still doesn't make sense.... Plus it does limit me to 2500 miles .... I might put that on this year. ;-)

Thats why I went with Grundy,,,no mileage limits. I don't want some insurance company telling me how much I can drive the car. They may as well put a lease on it. I thought 2,500 miles was a joke when I was with Hagerty, so I dumped them. Thats hardly an oil change,,,sheeesh. I have to drive 30 miles just to get to town to do anything,,,one afternoon trip for me can easily be 100 miles so the 2,500 limit just wouldn't do.

I have 7 cars with Grundy now, insured for the amount they appraise for. Which I update every couple of years to make sure I get replacement value,,,you have to cover your ass,,,know what I mean????
    I can insure a $30-40,000 car with them for the entire year and only spend around $100 a year,,,,yes it's that cheap,,,and no mileage restrictions.

I think you are paying an awfull lot mecinoid for coverage on a classic with limited mileage. Especially Allstate. If you remember the comercials they had in the 70's about insuring muscle cars????? They were very much against cars with powerfull engines and had commercials about how hazardous they were etc....I would be worried if they would actually pay out if your car was totalled......I don't really trust the typical run of the mill insurance companies when it comes to classic stuff,,,,I've been in that situation,,,and it's not fun.

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Just giving info, i average 1000-1500 on that particular car. (C5)

I see, so it works for you. ;-)
    Last edited by Mecinoid; 02-21-2008 at 09:00 PM.

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Thats why I went with Grundy,,,no mileage limits. I don't want some insurance company telling me how much I can drive the car. They may as well put a lease on it. I thought 2,500 miles was a joke when I was with Hagerty, so I dumped them. Thats hardly an oil change,,,sheeesh. I have to drive 30 miles just to get to town to do anything,,,one afternoon trip for me can easily be 100 miles so the 2,500 limit just wouldn't do.

I have 7 cars with Grundy now, insured for the amount they appraise for. Which I update every couple of years to make sure I get replacement value,,,you have to cover your ass,,,know what I mean????
    I can insure a $30-40,000 car with them for the entire year and only spend around $100 a year,,,,yes it's that cheap,,,and no mileage restrictions.

I think you are paying an awfull lot mecinoid for coverage on a classic with limited mileage. Especially Allstate. If you remember the comercials they had in the 70's about insuring muscle cars????? They were very much against cars with powerfull engines and had commercials about how hazardous they were etc....I would be worried if they would actually pay out if your car was totalled......I don't really trust the typical run of the mill insurance companies when it comes to classic stuff,,,,I've been in that situation,,,and it's not fun.
    I totally agree with you on the millage thing but since i drive 1000-1500 a year it didn't seem to matter. I did check Grundy out and it looks pretty good.
    Do they only do old cars? I wouldn't mind doing my C5 with them because i got a nice quote, $310 for the year, thats $70 less than Leland. If you only pay $100 you must be a lot older than me or something. Do the only do older weekenders? My 06 Acura RSX Type-S (DD) cost me $350-360 every six months with USAA for just liability, it would be nice to up the coverage & have full at a better price.

I totally agree with you on the millage thing but since i drive 1000-1500 a year it didn't seem to matter. I did check Grundy out and it looks pretty good.
    Do they only do old cars? I wouldn't mind doing my C5 with them because i got a nice quote, $310 for the year, thats $70 less than Leland. If you only pay $100 you must be a lot older than me or something. Do the only do older weekenders? My 06 Acura RSX Type-S (DD) cost me $350-360 every six months with USAA for just liability, it would be nice to up the coverage & have full at a better price.
    I don't beleive the car has to be older. If it's a high end collector or something desirable I am sure they would insure. Something like your C5 I am sure they would cover. I have my wifes 82 Jeep scrambler on it. I have been contemplating putting my 02 SS on the coverage as well, since it's getting older and I know State Farm won't cover a thing if it gets hit.

It would be best to email them for a quote. I'm not that old (I don't think) But I found their rate pretty decent considering the amount of cars I have and what they appraise for. I can't even remember if I am getting a multicar discount. But all my old stuff, 72 chevelle, 70 firebird, 56 nomad, etc....don't cost anymore than $100-150 a year for each. With no mileage limits I'm happy. I generally put about 5-7,000 miles a year on the old stuff, sometimes more depending on the weather and how many long distance car stuff we go to. Hope that helps. Cheers.

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

I don't beleive the car has to be older. If it's a high end collector or something desirable I am sure they would insure. Something like your C5 I am sure they would cover. I have my wifes 82 Jeep scrambler on it. I have been contemplating putting my 02 SS on the coverage as well, since it's getting older and I know State Farm won't cover a thing if it gets hit.

It would be best to email them for a quote. I'm not that old (I don't think) But I found their rate pretty decent considering the amount of cars I have and what they appraise for. I can't even remember if I am getting a multicar discount. But all my old stuff, 72 chevelle, 70 firebird, 56 nomad, etc....don't cost anymore than $100-150 a year for each. With no mileage limits I'm happy. I generally put about 5-7,000 miles a year on the old stuff, sometimes more depending on the weather and how many long distance car stuff we go to. Hope that helps. Cheers.
    I guess i'll have to check into it, i don't have anything that old, my oldest one is a 93 Civic SIr, 99 C5, 06 RSX-S, and a 98 Z28. i wouldn't mind having a bird like yours, i believe the one i like is a 70's bird, the one with the two hood scoops or a 70's Nova. I do live in town, so that probably keeps my millage down a bit. When time permits i'll have to give them a call. How are they on promptness, have you ever had to make a claim? Thanks for all your help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information