Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

a couple of pics of what i did this weekend.

So after 2 days of getting dicked around by car salesmen, I decided to just take my money and put some into the vette. I always thought a carb and intake would wake it up a bit. I found out a lot more than expected. I bought an edelbrock 600cfm manual choke carb, edelbrock intake (idle-5500rpm), and a few chrome goodies to make it look ok. So the swap went well, fixed some oil leaks that were lurking around, and tried to get rid of some of the excess wires and hoses. For a while, I thought i had a busted piston ring because i was blowin blue smoke like a mofo. Turns out it was my pcv valve stuck, so i replaced that also. After my engine building friend tuned the carb and timing, the car had a very distinct lope and revved out with the quickness! My friend looks at me and says "mike, this cam in this car aint stock." I said .....apparently the stock intake and quadrajunk were hindering any idea of it having a bigger than stock cam. If there is a bigger cam in there, its not much bigger. Anyways the engine looked really clean which was expected since it was rebuilt 2 years ago and sat for a year and a half of that. So other things that need to be replaced are motor mounts (driver side is broken, cant even dog the car right now) also gotta do some suspension work and i plan on pulling the engine and cleaning the rest of the shit out of the engine compartment. Oh and new heads cause apparently the heads i have are the shittiest ones ever, casting# 462624

I screwed up and forgot to take pictures before i disassembled.

as you can see here there still needs to be a lot of extra crap removed from the engine compartment.
    Last edited by jiveass; 03-15-2010 at 05:32 AM.

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    02 superchipsZ28 M6(sold)

good project, yeah the smog crap(i think) needs to go. those heads are 462's didnt think they where awful heads used a set before. she needs vortec's ! got any more pics of her ?

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by bamaz28 View Post
    good project, yeah the smog crap(i think) needs to go. those heads are 462's didnt think they where awful heads used a set before. she needs vortec's ! got any more pics of her ?
    well the only 462's i know of that are good are the ones that the casting # ended in 462.....the heads i have are #462624..1975-86 350/400 76cc chamber, 1.72/1.5
    just basic gm heads that were used on most of their low hp engines...you can see the intake ports are totally bullshitt..needing ported..plus these castings are known to crack between the valve seats, even without modification.
    The heads you are talking about may be these
    casting number
    3767462....62-67...327
    462 62cc 1.94 1.50
    462 63cc 2.02 1.60

I will take more pics later today as i have realized i forgot to add a secondary fuel filter before the carb. this weekend may be the weekend the engine comes out for total clean up and maybe even throw on the double hump heads...

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    02 superchipsZ28 M6(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    well the only 462's i know of that are good are the ones that the casting # ended in 462.....the heads i have are #462624..1975-86 350/400 76cc chamber, 1.72/1.5
    just basic gm heads that were used on most of their low hp engines...you can see the intake ports are totally bullshitt..needing ported..plus these castings are known to crack between the valve seats, even without modification.
    The heads you are talking about may be these
    casting number
    3767462....62-67...327
    462 62cc 1.94 1.50
    462 63cc 2.02 1.60

I will take more pics later today as i have realized i forgot to add a secondary fuel filter before the carb. this weekend may be the weekend the engine comes out for total clean up and maybe even throw on the double hump heads...
    yes, you are correct those where what i was thinking

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Looks and sounds like a big improvement. I am still chasing an idle gremlin on ours with the Quadrajet.

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Looks and sounds like a big improvement. I am still chasing an idle gremlin on ours with the Quadrajet.
    i swear man when i put that new carb on there, it ran like a new machine. There was no more hesitation in the throttle, which even when warmed up, the quadrajet always seemed to hesitate. i think those heads are really slowin me down though. All together this stuff costed me about $575...and that included gaskets and valve covers. add another $20 for the oil change.
    ive been neglecting the car and didnt even realize it. to think i almost swapped the engine thinkin i had a busted ring.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I remember there being huge difference when replacing the Quadrajet with a Holly 600 and throwing on an Edelbrock high rise performer. Perked my car right up

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Looks good. It's funny how you really gotta have things matched up to get the performance and when you don't it really makes a difference.

Is that a foam air cleaner? I always heard they were no good - backfire would cause the foam to melt and drip in the carb. Don't know if it's true or not though.

Can't wait to see more pics too!
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I remember there being huge difference when replacing the Quadrajet with a Holly 600 and throwing on an Edelbrock high rise performer. Perked my car right up
    When I started the restoration, the car had a Holley "Q-jet replacement" carb. I rebuilt that to get it running, but wanted to go with a Q-jet as that is what the car originally came with. Also, the stock air cleaner only fits Q-jets which makes swapping to a different carb next to impossible. The idle issue has to be something seriously stupid that I am just not thinking of.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    When I started the restoration, the car had a Holley "Q-jet replacement" carb. I rebuilt that to get it running, but wanted to go with a Q-jet as that is what the car originally came with. Also, the stock air cleaner only fits Q-jets which makes swapping to a different carb next to impossible. The idle issue has to be something seriously stupid that I am just not thinking of.
    When I did the Chevelle, the carb and intake were the first to go. I didn't care about the stock air cleaner. I wanted it gone.

But, when I had the block done, I did wait an extra two weeks to get mine back. I wanted the numbers to match. Other then that, I wasn't going for stock anything.

Boy, that seems like a lifetime ago. Heh... actually, it was.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

looks like your starting to get there. i still have a bunch of parts heads cam ect. pm me if you need something.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

The quadrajunk was good for mean sounding secondaries and not much else.. Any engine with a Q-jet from the era is starving for fuel. Eddies are the way to go imho on a sbc.. Adding the eddie intake was a good choice too as you prolly already know. But to get any sbc to run good just have to make them breath. Oh and the cam thing there could be a cam in it but the pop and crackle is just how chevy sbc's run naturally with just about any stock cam and a good set of headers and a carb. I built a old sbc all stock for a 78 blazer once. Fired it up open headers and you would have sworn on a stack o bibles it had a huge cam, popping and crackling, flames if you goosed it and such. Nothing runs like an sbc imho.. Some of the truck motors such as what was found in old wreckers with 4 bolt mains and a steel crank were screamers strait out of the box. Get yourself a set of 2.02 camel back castings and that motor will surprise you.. But it would'nt surprise me if it does have a mild cam either. Those smoggers were known to chew their stock cams down almost to the base circle. If they had a real restictive exhaust sometimes the bad cam would'nt show its ugly face till you added headers and opened up their pipes. Then they'd misfire all over the place unless you floated the valves. Looking good man! Love that square bore long stroke growl..
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-16-2010 at 03:38 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

the quadrajet always seemed to hesitate.
    Mine has always just went straight to burning *tire*, singular. Take that damn foam filter off before your car burns down!
    Last edited by wheeliE-maxx; 03-19-2010 at 12:19 AM.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    The quadrajunk was good for mean sounding secondaries and not much else.. Any engine with a Q-jet from the era is starving for fuel. Eddies are the way to go imho on a sbc.. Adding the eddie intake was a good choice too as you prolly already know. But to get any sbc to run good just have to make them breath. Oh and the cam thing there could be a cam in it but the pop and crackle is just how chevy sbc's run naturally with just about any stock cam and a good set of headers and a carb. I built a old sbc all stock for a 78 blazer once. Fired it up open headers and you would have sworn on a stack o bibles it had a huge cam, popping and crackling, flames if you goosed it and such. Nothing runs like an sbc imho.. Some of the truck motors such as what was found in old wreckers with 4 bolt mains and a steel crank were screamers strait out of the box. Get yourself a set of 2.02 camel back castings and that motor will surprise you.. But it would'nt surprise me if it does have a mild cam either. Those smoggers were known to chew their stock cams down almost to the base circle. If they had a real restictive exhaust sometimes the bad cam would'nt show its ugly face till you added headers and opened up their pipes. Then they'd misfire all over the place unless you floated the valves. Looking good man! Love that square bore long stroke growl..
    mine lopes slightly, 2-1/4" duals through magnaflow bullets, no crossover (not my choice), longtubes. Performer mani. and richer than stock rebuilt rochester. Plenty of timing and vacuum advance off of the manifold. you'd swear it's cammed but it's just a fresh goodwrench with a 194/202 or so flat tappet. I think the lean-ness of the quad is part of it, lean makes for some chop at idle I believe. I need to play with my idle mixture screws

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    mine lopes slightly, 2-1/4" duals through magnaflow bullets, no crossover (not my choice), longtubes. Performer mani. and richer than stock rebuilt rochester. Plenty of timing and vacuum advance off of the manifold. you'd swear it's cammed but it's just a fresh goodwrench with a 194/202 or so flat tappet. I think the lean-ness of the quad is part of it, lean makes for some chop at idle I believe. I need to play with my idle mixture screws
    Hopefully you don't have the Q-junk throttle plate with the damn' square headed mixture screws. Those can be a bish too mess with..
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-19-2010 at 03:48 AM.

pewter
    99 trans am

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    Mine has always just went straight to burning *tire*, singular. Take that damn foam filter off before your car burns down!
    im not worried about it catching fire....i know how to adjust timing to prevent that.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Talking

im not worried about it catching fire....i know how to adjust timing to prevent that.

But on a side note a sbc will run 180* out.. Not good of course but it will run..

pewter
    99 trans am

But on a side note a sbc will run 180* out.. Not good of course but it will run..
    i know...but its correctly timed...ive been driving it for a week with the new stuff on it....air cleaner is always the last thing to go on, and only after all adjustments have been made.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Red face

i know...but its correctly timed...ive been driving it for a week with the new stuff on it....air cleaner is always the last thing to go on, and only after all adjustments have been made.
    I did'nt mean that to sound maybe like I did'nt think you know what you're doing. My bad if it sounded that way.. I just have a thing for them old sbc's. Kinda like I do with my 6ers..

pewter
    99 trans am

I did'nt mean that to sound maybe like I did'nt think you know what you're doing. My bad if it sounded that way.. I just have a thing for them old sbc's. Kinda like I do with my 6ers..
    i understand totally...i think the gen 1 smallblock is the best engine ever made...a lot of people will argue that the LS series reigns, but until the LS series survives half a century, its still only second best.

Thread Information